Victor HA-FW10000: 10th Anniversary model
Apr 29, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #571 of 1,217
EP-FX10 is the same eartip provided in FW10000, except the color coding stem. That was my understanding unless there's a difference in term of material too?

For the cable, I encountered the same issue with cable swinging out from ear. I try to rotate it inward such that it naturally lay against my head when put it on. Work 50% of the time.

The stem is using high grade silicon instead of SMP iFit, I dont remember if there's any changes to the SMP iFit material, but the fitting and the sound are both improve with the new eartip.

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #573 of 1,217
Will pick up a pair once available. Thanks for the info.

U're welcome. I do think that Victor/JVC should include their new eartip in the FW10000 new batch.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #574 of 1,217
At 168 hours: the FW10000’s bass is excellent. This is it chief. When I get my cable, the FW01 is going into the drawer.

As I listen to them—even with the single-ended cable—nothing bad is sticking out to me.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #575 of 1,217
For those asking for a comparison, Z1R has more bass. FW10K's only measurement out there seems to imply a rather large bass boost, but in reality the FW10k is very much vented to a large extent. Isolation really isn't that great. Bass levels can even feel anemic at times. FW10K also has a huge uppermidrage spike. I compared them to the RHA CL2. Everyone knows how much uppermids the CL2 have.

In practice, CL2 sounds better than FW10K since FW10K is just harsh next to them. Lower mids on the JVC are thin, brittle and too recessed. Whereas CL2's lower mids don't sound anywhere that bad. Imagine a greater upper midrange presence than CL2 WITH plenty more lower treble. That's what the JVC sounds like.

I don't like the CL2 but CL2 has its strengths with certain types of music. The FW10K? Just sounds terrible no matter what I play with it. And no, this is not a seal or fit issue. I think they just sound flat out terrible.

Z1R has a stronger bass response (which to some borders on way too much bass; it's perfectly fine for me), better balanced midrange with the uppermids taking slight precedence, and a very much present but unobstrusive treble. Z1R extends better on both ends. I personally do feel the Z1R is several leagues ahead and is more versatile. You have to have very specific genre and sound preferences to enjoy the JVC.

Maybe our ears different. The only highend IEM I actually don't like is CL2 and I gave it 3 demos. Love the built quality and shape but not the sound. The sound basically tear my eardrum and brain. Perhaps faulty unit or that's in-line with your early impression?

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #577 of 1,217
Maybe our ears different. The only highend IEM I actually don't like is CL2 and I gave it 3 demos. Love the built quality and shape but not the sound. The sound basically tear my eardrum and brain. Perhaps faulty unit or that's in-line with your early impression?

I've tried 5 separate units of the FW10K and 3 units of the CL2. All sound consistent

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #579 of 1,217
Nah, not gonna tear anything up lol :)
If anything, head-fi will show you how people have different tastes in audio.
Add to that, DAP Compatability, cables, fit, tips, and the combinations are almost infinite. Someone on the IER thread said that vocals sounded horrible on the Solaris, CL2, 10000k etc etc, that just shows you how we hear stuff differently.
I lucked into my preferred signature, and it's nice to finally not be drooling over every new iem that comes out :)
Much easier on my wallet.

May 1, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #581 of 1,217
For those asking for a comparison, Z1R has more bass. FW10K's only measurement out there seems to imply a rather large bass boost, but in reality the FW10k is very much vented to a large extent. Isolation really isn't that great. Bass levels can even feel anemic at times. FW10K also has a huge uppermidrage spike. I compared them to the RHA CL2. Everyone knows how much uppermids the CL2 have.

In practice, CL2 sounds better than FW10K since FW10K is just harsh next to them. Lower mids on the JVC are thin, brittle and too recessed. Whereas CL2's lower mids don't sound anywhere that bad. Imagine a greater upper midrange presence than CL2 WITH plenty more lower treble. That's what the JVC sounds like.

I don't like the CL2 but CL2 has its strengths with certain types of music. The FW10K? Just sounds terrible no matter what I play with it. And no, this is not a seal or fit issue. I think they just sound flat out terrible.

Z1R has a stronger bass response (which to some borders on way too much bass; it's perfectly fine for me), better balanced midrange with the uppermids taking slight precedence, and a very much present but unobstrusive treble. Z1R extends better on both ends. I personally do feel the Z1R is several leagues ahead and is more versatile. You have to have very specific genre and sound preferences to enjoy the JVC.
I have both the 1r and 10k. To make it short, did an A/B/C (subject being 1r, 10k and a Japanese brand called Ar:tio RK01) blind test with
1. different tips (foams, silicon and smp etc) 2. different dap/amp tube/suax01/cayin N8/sp1000), 3. different cables (stock mod 4.4 pentaconn, others see sig), 4. different people (4 including myself) with different ear canal and size, 5. different gender and age group (1F3M ranging from 25+ to 40+), 6. music genre: Jpop, R&B, rock, concert, Jazz, classical, therapy track, pure vocal male and female, one of each)
Blind tested without knowing the price or tech behind each pair. Environment: ambient dB lvl @ approx. 50-60db.

Conclusion? Majority picked 10k with a grin on their face and a “wow” on 1st impression, rk01 being second and 1r being the least interested due to them sounding like another pair of ordinary earphones = boring. Must give credit to 1r with its jewelry look. They immediately caught our lady tester’s attention when opened up. She was most interested in 1r at first but turns out disliking them with the fit, size and sound.
We took a 2nd and 3rd test impression with different pairing to even out the bias that might have during 1st listening.
When prices were finally unveiled, the only chosen one was 10k and rk01, where 1r was the least desired.

10k being the most desired for sounding and fitting (con: with the impression of fatigue after long hours of listening due to the sound sig.), RK01 being the best choice out of the 3 to be used daily for extended hours, easily best in terms of cost to performance. 1r ...well, it’s a waste of time and hard earned bucks.
That test eventually seals the fate of my pair of 1r and they are up for sale. For me it is definitely a hard lesson learned.

However like some says, “different people has different ears and hearing”, best to try them out yourself, like I did... ;P

(rk01: 200usd 10k: 1700usd, 1r: 1800usd)

May 1, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #583 of 1,217
IMHO no way the FW10K has more upper mids than the CL2 - that’s from someone who actually owned them both for a while and spent hundreds of hours with each - yes it has forward upper mids but it’s IMHO done right avoiding any harshness contrary to the CL2. The FW10K has great upper treble presence but lower treble is clearly not as forward and that’s a very big difference with say the EX1000. The FW10K to me has more body than the CL2, thanks to fuller mids. Bass is faithful to the track IMHO, in fact it’s among the best mid bass I have ever heard striking a beautiful balance.

I haven’t heard IER-Z1R but it seems there is frequently a « compared to IER-Z1R » followed by trashing the IEM it’s compared to. This started with the Solaris, now the FW10K and maybe other threads. I don’t see how it’s helpful and in the spirit of a community which aims at sharing a passion for audio gear as a mean to enjoy music

Yes we also have different taste and that’s fine. It’s not about who « owns » the truth and I won’t trust anyone stating any opinion that is expressed in absolute term and/or X is better than Y (strike that, this goes even to « crush » now...). I am sometimes wondering if this has to be put on account of youth :p Yeah, X might be better than Y for YOUR taste. And I am not even factoring in music genre you favor, sources you use, volume level you listen to (yes this one is important), fit (we have different morphologies).... etc.

Still waiting on the IER-Z1R to demo it here in Paris, because I am open minded and a long time fan of Sony products... maybe at the Sound Days at last...

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #584 of 1,217
Did the z1r at least crush the others in bass? Although I suppose there's not a lot of it in therapy.
10k hits deeper, more layered bass, cleaner, equally impactful. 1r seems to always pound with less layers and depth.

May 1, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #585 of 1,217
I haven’t heard IER-Z1R but it seems there is frequently a « compared to IER-Z1R » followed by trashing the IEM it’s compared to. This started with the Solaris, now the FW10K and maybe other threads. I don’t see how it’s helpful and in the spirit of a community which aims at sharing a passion for audio gear as a mean to enjoy music

It's extremely helpful to people trying to decide where to put >$1500 and arguably is the single greatest utility of this forum. Really? You also haven't been paying close attention if all you're seeing is "compared to IER-Z1R" followed by trashing.

10k hits deeper, more layered bass, cleaner, equally impactful. 1r seems to always pound with less layers and depth.

You claim this stuff but I've seen quite a number of people now claim that the FW10k is bass deficient, let alone competitive with the Z1R in this aspect (the Z1R even being liable to overdoing it). So are you in essence saying that the bass of the FW10k pounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back