Victor HA-FW10000: 10th Anniversary model
Feb 14, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #406 of 1,217
Posted on IER-Z1R thread,

Since I’m in Singapore currently and a call to Sony Atria confirmed they have Z1R demo back in store, I decided to give it a demo. Battle of Japanese flagship IEMs, Z1R vs FW10K.

Size and weight wise, Z1R both bigger and heavier. Memory wise also a bit finicky than I recall on M9. Fitment no issue for me, stable and secure seal with stock M tip. The IEM surface finishing is not my type, same as Andro S. Look gross with fingerprints and collect scratches like no one biz.

Listening through iPhone X with dongle. Music from Spotify offline highest quality.

First listen, remind me of M9 tuning with bigger stage height, improved sound dynamic and bass texture/decay. More musical version of M9 due to DD bass imho albeit good bass response/impact on M9. 100% can identify it’s dynamic driver from get-go. M9 punch harder (speed sound the same from memory) almost like a dynamic but there’s no reverb/decay unless it’s in the music.

High is a step behind low and mid spectrum, similar to M9. It’s definitely well extended but just not upfront which impact the next aspect. It sound dark, not airy. Listen to Celine Dion doesn’t make me cry.

Noticeable plastic/honky sound (voice, instrument), again similar to M9. Don’t think it’s due to bass bleed. Not severe but compared to my other recent IEM, it’s there. Mid otherwise is fine, not too upfront nor distant. Sound quite similar to M9 but with extra body (DD?).

Soundstage height is better than M9, sound larger. However width almost the same from memory. Overall still sound more intimate compared to 10K/Solaris due to darkness. My issue is the stage sound like an image (let’s say 16:9 format) being drag upward to create illusion of stage (4:3) height instead of original image recorded in that desired resolution. Solaris and 10K are much more convincing, with notes floating in each recorded space.

Separation/layering, better than M9 from memory but 10K seem much precise, easier to pick out each note. Each guitar pick, drum beat etc is clearer on 10K. Solaris also have upper advantage here. Likely due to airiness between notes making much of the differences, affecting overall presentation clarity.

All above may change if Z1R is not driven sufficiently from iPhone (which mostly likely the case as 10K definitely improved when driven by Micro Black Label compared to iPhone). However both straight out of iPhone, I pick 10K any day. YVMV.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #407 of 1,217
Feb 14, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #409 of 1,217
Depend on what you meant by blow. Getting blow in some context is positive. Lol

Again, the tuning might not be final on Sony but the assistance there saying there’s no change in that on final release (?).
So if you had to buy one of them, you would buy the JVC. Come on just say it.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #411 of 1,217
Just say I'm glad I gone ahead and take the chance with JVC.
Yo da man. Dont say that on that thread or they will attack you.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #413 of 1,217
Only happen in CL2 thread :floatsmile:
FB_IMG_1547696069315.jpg

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #414 of 1,217
So if you had to buy one of them, you would buy the JVC. Come on just say it.

Well to be fair I am not sure driving the IER-Z1R with 2 dynamic drivers with the iPhone dongle does it justice so I’ll wait a bit for comparisons out of a more powerful source but still all account no matter the source seem to be inconsistent right now, the only commonality being the mids are recessed and with a strange / off tone. I am not sure why some report harsh treble while others report the opposite, maybe taste / sensitivity? We’ll see down the line. I am still curious to audition them, although here in Paris curiously not sure I’ll be able to....

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #415 of 1,217
Well to be fair I am not sure driving the IER-Z1R with 2 dynamic drivers with the iPhone dongle does it justice so I’ll wait a bit for comparisons out of a more powerful source but still all account no matter the source seem to be inconsistent right now, the only commonality being the mids are recessed and with a strange / off tone. I am not sure why some report harsh treble while others report the opposite, maybe taste / sensitivity? We’ll see down the line. I am still curious to audition them, although here in Paris curiously not sure I’ll be able to....

The unit I tried, the mid definitely not recessed. Treble not harsh either, in fact I would prefer it more prevalent and I'm sensitive to high (my ear ring when listen to CL2).

Off tone/strange? Maybe that's the word for what I considered plasticky. Drum beats sounded slightly off, for example.

In term of driveability, maybe it's underpowered but I use M9 balanced out of Q5/AM3B and ZX300, overall sound tuning/signature remain same and doesn't improve or change the plasticky issue. Same with trying different cable (ALO Litz).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #416 of 1,217
The unit I tried, the mid definitely not recessed. Treble not harsh either, in fact I would prefer it more prevalent and I'm sensitive to high (my ear ring when listen to CL2).

Off tone/strange? Maybe that's the word for what I considered plasticky. Drum beats sounded slightly off, for example.

In term of driveability, maybe it's underpowered but I use M9 balanced out of Q5/AM3B and ZX300, overall sound tuning/signature remain same and doesn't improve or change the plasticky issue. Same with trying different cable (ALO Litz).
Lower the volume on the CL2. It's supposed to sound bass lite, like an electrostat speaker, when you up the volume to get the bass response of other iems, you are also passing the treble limit your ears can handle.

On another note, I really wanna audition the 10k, I hope they are at CanJam LA.
Sony is not on my radar anymore.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #417 of 1,217
My relatives just asked me to buy him the last unit of Z1R and bring it back for him. I’ll get to spend sometime with it so I’ll post my review when I go back and include z1r comparison too.

All and all pairs nicely with wm1z, but with r2r2k, Jvc fw10k is the winner.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #418 of 1,217
While the original cable sounds nice, I didn't agree with the ergonomics of it. When hooked over my ears it would often come off whenever I turned my head, didn't want to bastardize the original cable so got an aftermarket with 4.4.

Hi named name,
Are you using WM1A with FW10000 ? Does the WM1A has enough power to drive FW10000?

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #419 of 1,217
Hi named name,
Are you using WM1A with FW10000 ? Does the WM1A has enough power to drive FW10000?

For the most part I feel that the WM1A has adequate power out of the 4.4 balanced (high gain). As reference listening to Eagles HFO Hotel California FLAC at around 50/120 volume.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #420 of 1,217
Lower the volume on the CL2. It's supposed to sound bass lite, like an electrostat speaker, when you up the volume to get the bass response of other iems, you are also passing the treble limit your ears can handle.

On another note, I really wanna audition the 10k, I hope they are at CanJam LA.
Sony is not on my radar anymore.
Lower the volume, try getting Eddie Van Halen to lower the volume, lol. Over-reaching generalizations imo, it depends on the iem in question. Bass lite? Mr Speakers Voce estats are not 'bass lite'.

CanJam SoCal LA was 2018, dwtn LA> CanJam SoCal 2019 will be ~50mi south in Orange County, Irvine, not LA. If you've been to a CanJam b4, you know it's not exactly the quietest listening enviro, might as well be in public transit. & what if HA-FW10000 need 300+hrs to 'burn in' like the CL2s?

https://canjamglobal.com/shows/socal2019/

not sure what this treble limit is, most ppl over 50 don't have much treble hearing above 12k...so for us, we can turn it up to level 15, like Van Halen. Turn up the volume to get impactful expansive bass, shouldn't affect treble in that manner if it is a 'balanced' tune. While you wait, I Google'd 'Final Audio Lab II' yesterday, seems there is a pair of them on a Chinese website sans cables for sale @$300 USD, ~1/20th the full set should go for. Meaning they could be counterfeit/not working, and/or stolen Lab II?

With these new customized 3D printed iems, wonder how long before we see a significant increase of counterfeit high-end iems being made in China and other countries. Rt now, you can get plenty of counterfeit 'collector' wines in China, whether it be Bordeaux, Burgundy or Aussie Penfolds G. Hermitage bttlings. I've seen online 'certificate of authenticity' for many limited high-end Chinese teas like collector pu-er or Longjing, those Certs aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back