Viable alternatives to Bose
May 3, 2010 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

calipilot227

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, as you can see, I'm new here. I'm looking for something with which to replace my Around-Ear Bose headphones. I bought them because they were very comfortable (important factor for me) and because they do a decent job of isolating background noise. However, they sound AWFUL (way too much bass, lack of detail in the highs) in comparison to my Etymotic ER6i (which I consider to be the best-sounding earphones I've ever used). Is there anything out there that can match the comfort and isolation of these Bose cans but that has sound quality comparable to the Etymotic ER6i? I want to replace these awful headphones ASAP.
k701smile.gif
I've got my eye on the Sennheiser HD205 (good isolation from what I've heard), but I'm wondering what else is available.

May 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 28
And I forgot to mention that these need to be closed phones and need to be driven by an iPod (in other words, unamped). Thanks in advance!

May 3, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 28
Welcome to Head-Fi.
What kind of music do you listen to? Budget?

I'll preemptively recommend the Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.

May 3, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 28
Okay, I mostly listen to Rock, Jazz, and some rap (Redman
biggrin.gif
) and occasionally classical. My limit is $100 (what's the best I can get for under $100?)

May 3, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 28
Beyerdynamic DT235 are quite balanced IMO and they will run fine straight off an iPod. Might need a few extra notches of volume over the AEs though. I would also look at the Creative Aurvana Live and maybe even the Senn PX200-II.

May 3, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 28
There's a whole universe of headphones that would qualify as a viable alternative to Bose. Closed cans, with circumaural pads (where your ears hide inside), can provide you lots of isolation - even without electronic sound-cancellation technology. One source you might look at is Headroom - not to take its word on headphone quality but to get a list of headphones by manufacturer and a look at them. Pick out the circumaurals and then come back here and plug them into the search function. You'll find plenty of articles to give you a heads-up, and from consumers, not salesmen.

May 3, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 28
You can also try Ath-Pro5 - they isolate quite good and have decent, controlled bass.

May 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 28
Wow! Thanks for your input everyone! I'm taking a look at Sennheiser's entry-level pro offering (HD 205 mostly since I've heard it's durable and has great isolation) due to the price. Any recommendations in this range?

May 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony MDR-V6 might be a good fit for you. They are comfortable and will give you pretty good sound.

x2 MDR-V6 is a good start if you want neutral balance phones.

May 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another vote for the Sennheiser HD25-1's

Third

WAIT A SECOND!!! If you got $130 for Bose Triports (which I personally own, and think aren't that bad) Then you've got enough dough for the renowned ATH-M50's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back