very picky customer needs help buying IN THE UK
Aug 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #123 of 186
I mentioned this in the other thread but if you want the Bose AE2 you may want to look at the JVC HAS700 as it is supposedly extremely similar and only about $30.  I have not tried them yet myself but am looking into them for the same reason, comfort, and from pictures it looks just like the AE2.  The sound quality with them seems good too based on reviews I have seen and hopefully someone that has tried them and the AE2 can give comparisons.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #126 of 186

Quote:
I dont know. I really, REALLY want to buy the Bose and quit fannying about. lol

Well, it looks like you've been enthralled by the AE2 despite our fair attempts to dissuade you.  It looks like the charm and comfort of Bose strikes again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #127 of 186
 This woman needs a pair of HD800's, STAT! That should lead her away from the Bose wagon :wink:

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #129 of 186
Ahh, another glass wearing head-fier!

Welcome to Head-Fi. I here am also a glass wearing head-fier 
biggrin.gif

I've read this thread bit by bit aaand. . .I must review some headphones.

Alessandro/Grado SR-60i/80i/MS1/MS1i? No. Don't get them. Wearing them with glasses is a big NO-NO
frown.gif
. The clamping force is fairly "strong", and wearing them for 3 hours+ will hurt your ears (well, it hurts mine!).

I highly recommend you the AKG K242 HD (or maybe any other AKG mid/high-fi headphones like these). Why you may ask? BECAUSE THEY ARE COMFY WITH GLASSES!!! 
eek.gif

Let's break it down shoul we?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Official Site: http://eu.akg.com/akg-product-detail-eu/k-242-hd.html (+0.5)

Headband: The headband on the AKG K242HD automatically adjusts to your head. Thus force from the headband is never possible. (+1)

Clamp Force: The clamp force by the ears is just. . .dang perfect. Do you know when you're wearing glasses and the nose tip of the glasses starts to slide down the noise (due to I don't know? Oily noise?), thus making you push the glasses back up to get it in the right position with the eye? Well, the K242HD gives perfect clamp force to hold them in place YET! not hurt the ears (or around the ears, because my ears slides inside the holes of the padding). (+2)

Padding: The padding on the ear cups are just soft. Pure soft. I think the exact same as the Sennheiser HD 555? Thus giving some cushion on the ears (around the ears) and glasses,

Soft Padding + Low/Mid Clamp Force = "Oooh happyyy days!" (+2)

Overall: Discontinued. Yeah. They don't make them anymore. From what I remember. There might be some other models that are the same. AKG 240 MK-II? I don't know. All I know is the AKG K701/702 might be the same, OR EVEN BETTER! I don't know, but hey. Overall, overall? A WHOOPING 5.5/5!!! That my dear friend, is over the limit 
beyersmile.png

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Edit:

WAIT! YOU'RE IN LUCK! There's still some left on Amazon! 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028N78J8/ref=asc_df_B0028N78J81552192?smid=A1TX2439U56Y5P&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B0028N78J8&tag=cnet_mp-2789-20

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #130 of 186
HD800s - £1000 ?!?! Holy crap guys, i cant rob a bank, and i'm not a looter :/

AKG K242 - I had problems with a similar shape headphone, the Superlux, and they pressed in just below my ears, giving me that 'i just blew up a balloon' pain. Because the earcups are just so effing huge and I am not.

I'd love to test them out in a shop but i dont know any shops that do specialty audiophile type headphones on display in the Midlands? Open to suggestions, its the summer hols and apart from some days we have planned, I can basically go anywhere... Also its worth noting I will be in London on Thursday this week and will probably walk down most of Tottenham Court Road - there are a lot of electronics/music shops on that road, if anyone knows one i ought to go in and mooch around?

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #133 of 186

Quote:
HD800s - £1000 ?!?! Holy crap guys, i cant rob a bank, and i'm not a looter :/

AKG K242 - I had problems with a similar shape headphone, the Superlux, and they pressed in just below my ears, giving me that 'i just blew up a balloon' pain. Because the earcups are just so effing huge and I am not.

I'd love to test them out in a shop but i dont know any shops that do specialty audiophile type headphones on display in the Midlands? Open to suggestions, its the summer hols and apart from some days we have planned, I can basically go anywhere... Also its worth noting I will be in London on Thursday this week and will probably walk down most of Tottenham Court Road - there are a lot of electronics/music shops on that road, if anyone knows one i ought to go in and mooch around?

Eek. I see.

Can you explain to me what type of headphones you want? I know the obvious (I think), but can I have some more info?

1. Size (Overall size. E.g. Sennheiser HD800 vs AiAiAi Tracks)
2. Circum-Aural (around the ears) or Supra-Aural (on the ears)
3. Portable use or not?

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #134 of 186
Well tbh i'm looking for something that is exactly like the Bose AE2. DOH!. Lightweight, circumaural but not huge like the AKGs / clones, not huge like the Senn HD555s, not huge like the Sony XB line. Something i can use at home, wear when i'm out and about, and not look like a big dork.

I'm female, a mom of 2 kids, i'm always on the schoolrun or in the library. Main source of music, my Nokia n8 or my laptop (Emachines E732Z). Main kind of music: REM, Queen, Pulp, Monkees, U2, all sorts. No rap, no 'pop' as such. Some country sometimes if i'm feeling nostalgic.

I'm dealing with 4 kinds of pain:
pain from clamp - visegrip on my skull
pain with ears being crushed by glasses arms
pain under my ears like i've blown up a balloon
pain on the top of my head

Comfort is my number ONE priority. Sound is secondary tbh.

I've tried: Sony MDV 571LPs: a bit of pressure on top my skull from the non-padded headband (!!!) , but more importantly pressing my ears against the plastic arms of my glasses
Sony MDV-150 - cheap but they didnt hurt - i wanted something *more*
Superlux HD681 - great sound, painful under my ears. They are just too big for my skull
Behringer HPS5000 - the clamp was KILLER - couldnt wear these for long

I dont like IEMs, they feel wet, they feel like a stethoscope. I dont like earbuds, they're just not what i'm after.  I dont do clip ons with my glasses (i dont even use a bluetooth because of my glasses) and i dont do sports bands, they hurt the back of my head.

I've fallen in love with Bose AE2 after trying them on at Currys/Pcworld the other day, because they were *comfortable*. Not happy to pay that kind of money, tbh, unless i can find them second hand :/ £119 is outrageous.

I'm a picky pain in the arse, really!!! Sorry. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #135 of 186

Quote:
Well tbh i'm looking for something that is exactly like the Bose AE2. DOH!. Lightweight, circumaural but not huge like the AKGs / clones, not huge like the Senn HD555s, not huge like the Sony XB line. Something i can use at home, wear when i'm out and about, and not look like a big dork.

I'm female, a mom of 2 kids, i'm always on the schoolrun or in the library. Main source of music, my Nokia n8 or my laptop (Emachines E732Z). Main kind of music: REM, Queen, Pulp, Monkees, U2, all sorts. No rap, no 'pop' as such. Some country sometimes if i'm feeling nostalgic.

I'm dealing with 4 kinds of pain:
pain from clamp - visegrip on my skull
pain with ears being crushed by glasses arms
pain under my ears like i've blown up a balloon
pain on the top of my head

Comfort is my number ONE priority. Sound is secondary tbh.

I've tried: Sony MDV 571LPs: a bit of pressure on top my skull from the non-padded headband (!!!) , but more importantly pressing my ears against the plastic arms of my glasses
Sony MDV-150 - cheap but they didnt hurt - i wanted something *more*
Superlux HD681 - great sound, painful under my ears. They are just too big for my skull
Behringer HPS5000 - the clamp was KILLER - couldnt wear these for long

I dont like IEMs, they feel wet, they feel like a stethoscope. I dont like earbuds, they're just not what i'm after.  I dont do clip ons with my glasses (i dont even use a bluetooth because of my glasses) and i dont do sports bands, they hurt the back of my head.

I'm a picky pain in the arse, really!!! Sorry. 

Hahaha, no need to say sorry. Being picky is not a bad thing, it allows the person to get what they want (exactly, if I may add), thus allowing the person to be happy with what they have. I here have not "completely" found my headphones for my ears. Thus I search. It's normal.

Also, I suggest to have a look around the headgear section of head-fi, there are all types of headphones in there!

Anyway, I found some beforehand:

Koss Pro DJ-100, is fairly good. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/koss-pro-dj-100

Fostex T50RP, (as stated before) is fairly good as well!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-t50rp-closed-ear-stereo-headphones

Sennheiser HD-201, might not be your type but hey! It's very cheap :) 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393429/sennheiser-hd201-impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back