very picky customer needs help buying IN THE UK
Aug 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186

leoniedelt

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I've posted before, months ago, asking for help.
I've finally gotten annoyed with my purchase, so its time to try something different.

I had Sony MDR-V150s - cheap and functional and no headaches in sight. But i wanted something a bit *more*.

I have a limited budget, and prefer something used if possible, to save money. I also have a problem with headphones causing me pain. Lots of pain.

My husband's Superluxes dig in below my ears and hurt. The Sony MDR 570LPs i bought are crushing my ears against my glasses because they're not a hollow ear cup, and the thin band presses against the top of my head and hurts me.

Basically its a pain in the neck (or head) to find something i can afford, and doesn't hurt me!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

***EDIT*** New thread link: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/567069/still-very-picky-need-help-narrowing-down-in-the-uk

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 186
Since the fit is so important (due to glasses & potential pain after use), I'd suggest going to stores that have them on display and simply trying them off, even without sound just for comfort's sake.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 186
What is a limited budget?

$100 is a good starter around here

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 186
yeah prefer not to spend more than £50 if i can help it. (70 dollars?)...

Sure, i am happy to go to Dixons or summat and try them on, but i dont know where to start / which models might work and still sound okay?

The first sonys, MDR V150 were quite basic. The other Sonys i have now, the 570s, are a nice rich sound, i think, so would want to find something of that quality at least.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 186
Besides comfort..Which kind of music you like? 

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 186
Aug 8, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 186
For the requirement of comfort I would normally immediately jump towards the premium Beyers, specifically the DT770 and DT880. They're the comfiest things to hug one's face short of kittens. But they tend not to work on a limited budget.

You don't say what Superlux it was you tried that didn't work for you, so I'm going to have to assume it's not the HD-660. Which is a dead ringer for a DT770 M but at one third the price.  The only thing with those is the earpads are pleather rather than velour, but the real velour Beyer pads should fit. 

I must admit to not owning one of those, instead having a real DT770PRO, which I can wear for hours without the combination of them and my glasses causing pain. I'm told the Superlux not only looks but also sounds similar to the real deal. Second-hand information though.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 186

Users who are viewing this thread

Back