Very good headphones with an integrate microphone
Nov 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #17 of 28
Updating the three op-amps is fairly easy, no soldering, just 4 screws to remove the shield, use a small flat headphone screw driver to pop out the current op-amps, then push in the new op-amps, then screw in the 4 screw that hold the plate in. LME49860NAs mildly improve the sound, AD797 are about the best.

Ok, I've found the AD797, but i've seen that there are, mainly, 3 different models: AD797ARZ, AD797BRZ and AD797ANZ; which one i should choose?

Yes, they seems to be more comfortable, but i don't think that they will produce any heating in less; since they are closed, and the material of the ear pads seems to be like fake leather, which is quite hot...

Homever i don't think that the quality of the headphone (they are a closed type...) and the mic is the same, or not?

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #18 of 28
Closed does not mean inferior to open, at this price point each has its benefits and downsides.

What's your budget btw?

Quote:
Homever i don't think that the quality of the headphone (they are a closed type...) and the mic is the same, or not?

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
Quote:
Updating the three op-amps is fairly easy, no soldering, just 4 screws to remove the shield, use a small flat headphone screw driver to pop out the current op-amps, then push in the new op-amps, then screw in the 4 screw that hold the plate in. LME49860NAs mildly improve the sound, AD797 are about the best.

Ok, I've found the AD797, but i've seen that there are, mainly, 3 different models: AD797ARZ, AD797BRZ and AD797ANZ; which one i should choose?

The three op-amps on the STX are in DIP-8 sockets (removable chips)
AD797ANZ is DIP-8 (the N is for DIP-8), ARZ and BRZ are SOIC (the R is for SOIC)
SOIC are "surface mount", can be soldered straight into a PCB board or mounted on a SOIC to DIP-8 mount.
So the ANZ is easier to use.

Stuff shipped from Hong Kong or China has been known to be fraudulent.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #20 of 28
Closed does not mean inferior to open, at this price point each has its benefits and downsides.

What's your budget btw?

Yeah, i know that the question is more complex... but, for what i've understood, the open headphones have (generally) a more opened and wide type of sound, while the closed one, have a more enclosed and focused sound type.

And i appreciate more the first qualities...

My budget for headphone + microphone is 500 (MAX 550).

The three op-amps on the STX are in DIP-8 sockets (removable chips)
AD797ANZ is DIP-8 (the N is for DIP-8), ARZ and BRZ are SOIC (the R is for SOIC)
SOIC are "surface mount", can be soldered straight into a PCB board or mounted on a SOIC to DIP-8 mount.
So the ANZ is easier to use.

Stuff shipped from Hong Kong or China has been known to be fraudulent.

I've found them here: http://components.arrow.com/part/search/ad797

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
@rrahman
Then the dt880/250 + tg h54 c, remain the best choices for me, right?
@PurpleAngel
Is that online store reliable or, maybe, not?

Can't really answer that.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #23 of 28
What I personally would do, would be to use either the HD595 or get a DT-770/880, depending how much monitoring is required, and then get a separate microphone.
Because I'm a big fan of ease of use, I'd choose the Editors Keys SL150 Condenser Microphone or the Samson C03U or C01U. Then again, I am no expert and don't know your monetary state.
This is probably the setup I am going to use eventually, once I get home in about a ½ year.

As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me why there is no Microphone section on this website? Micro-fi :p

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #24 of 28

Yes, indeed. Do you have then, from your own experience, suggestions on a store that you know is both (as possible) economic and reliable?

What I personally would do, would be to use either the HD595 or get a DT-770/880, depending how much monitoring is required, and then get a separate microphone.
Because I'm a big fan of ease of use, I'd choose the Editors Keys SL150 Condenser Microphone or the Samson C03U or C01U. Then again, I am no expert and don't know your monetary state.
This is probably the setup I am going to use eventually, once I get home in about a ½ year.

I think that the tg h54 c have almost the same quality of the microphone you have cited, and it's more comfortable, because you can wear it around the neck and have the mic directly in front of you, without too much maneuvers. The only problem is the little cable mess in more that i'll have with the tg h54 c, than with the 'hand microphones'; but i think that the comfort is more important

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, indeed. Do you have then, from your own experience, suggestions on a store that you know is both (as possible) economic and reliable?

Check "The Op-Amp Thread", they might know this seller, or recommend one.

Check the website, resellerrating, see if there other customers have left any feedback.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 28
@PurpleAngel

I've bought the AD797 op-amps, and they are not an improvement at all. In fact they are completely an overkill for the xonar essence; and i had to replace them with the default ones...

Why haven't you tell me this part in your suggestion? If you wasn't knowing that for sure, why haven't you, at least, told me that you've never tested them on the audiocard??

In this way i've only lost some money, for nothing...

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #27 of 28
lol

I am surprised the ad797s are pretty well respected though I have not heard them.

what do you mean by overkill?
Quote:
@PurpleAngel

I've bought the AD797 op-amps, and they are not an improvement at all. In fact they are completely an overkill for the xonar essence; and i had to replace them with the default ones...

Why haven't you tell me this part in your suggestion? If you wasn't knowing that for sure, why haven't you, at least, told me that you've never tested them on the audiocard??

In this way i've only lost some money, for nothing...

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #28 of 28
They can be good, in general, but they are simply too much for the xonar essence. If you use them in place of the normal ones, they simply kill the audiocard; and this means that they decrease the volume much more, instead of amplifying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back