Very good headphones with an integrate microphone
Nov 8, 2011 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

AudioHeadHZ

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to know which are the 'best' headphones with a very good audio reproduction (at least as the HD 595) and a more precise and clear, as possible, integrated microphone; considering that my pc audiocard is the asus xonar essence.

1) I use the headphones mostly for music listening, and sometimes for a good film or game...

2) I use the microphone mostly for language learning/teaching (so it's important that my voice is taken very well, even without speaking like a robot...) and sometimes for speaking through the web

3) The comfort is in someway important... actually i'm using the HD 595, and they are too hot after sometimes of use, especially in summer...

Thanks in advance

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 28
Nov 10, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
Beyerdynamic mmx300, its a dt770 w/ a tg h54c mic on a swivel.

I am selling this used on on amazon, there are also a few on the for sale section.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-MMX-300-Premium-Microphone/dp/B001BYMZ5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320791000&sr=8-1

The only reason, I am selling is because now I use a T1 w/ Senn ME-3 mic, which is probably the only thing better.

I also used it w/ a asus xonar essence st, the combo sounded great.

Then you suggest an dt770 with the tg h54c integrated...

But for what i can see the ME-3 microphone can be adapted with any other headphones, right? And propably is better than the tg h54c.

Then what about the dt880/ME-3 combination? I've read that the dt880 are quite better than the dt770, and they either won't need an external amp, with the xonar essence soundcard, for what i've understood..

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 28
The Tg h54c is a much better mic than the senn ME-3, but both are way overkill imo.

There is alot written on headfi about these headphones, but I own a mmx300, hd595, dt880/250, and t1 and these are my impressions.  HD595 is a great headphone for its price, but does not compare w/ any of these other headphones.  Dt880 and T1 are very neutral headphones, slightly on the bright side of neutral.  Dt880/32 has a poor reception on headfi and innerfidelity, but the dt880/250 and dt880/600 have a great reception and imo are the best all purpose headphones under 900 (and thats just cuz of the lcd2).   Dt880/250 and dt880/600 work well w/ the asus essence built in amp, although dt880/250 and dt880/600 could still benefit from a better amp.  The mmx300 is a fun headphone, great for most mainstream genre's of music.  The mmx300 sounds great out of a iphone and does benefit slightly w/ the asus built in amp, and certainly do not benefit as much from an external amp as the dt880.  All these headphones are great for gaming, but I would say T1>Dt880/250 or 600>mmx300.    

The advantage of the mmx300 is its integrated, closed and reasonably priced (relatively), and as a result would be my first recommendation.  

If you don't want integration or closed back and don't mind spending a lil extra for the best, then I recommend the dt880/250 w/ me-3.  That being said, the ME-3 can be a bit cumbersome to attach to a headphone.  I have not found a diy solution to get it to work quite as nicely as the MMX300.  The headband of the Senn ME-3 has to be cut off w/ mic attached somewhere to be worn w/ any level of comfort w/ a headphone.  There is another disadvantage w/ this combo as well, if the mic is not attached well then the open cans will leak sound into the mic (has not been an issue for me, but could be an issue for the discerning audiophile).  I suspect this is why most integrated headsets are closed back.

Quote:

Then you suggest an dt770 with the tg h54c integrated...

But for what i can see the ME-3 microphone can be adapted with any other headphones, right? And propably is better than the tg h54c.

Then what about the dt880/ME-3 combination? I've read that the dt880 are quite better than the dt770, and they either won't need an external amp, with the xonar essence soundcard, for what i've understood..

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 28
I just noticed you found the hd595 too hot in the summer.

MMX300 has a tendency to feel warmer than the dt880, t1, or hd595.  All these headphones are known as being some of the most comfortable around...

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 28
The Tg h54c is a much better mic than the senn ME-3, but both are way overkill imo.

There is alot written on headfi about these headphones, but I own a mmx300, hd595, dt880/250, and t1 and these are my impressions.  HD595 is a great headphone for its price, but does not compare w/ any of these other headphones.  Dt880 and T1 are very neutral headphones, slightly on the bright side of neutral.  Dt880/32 has a poor reception on headfi and innerfidelity, but the dt880/250 and dt880/600 have a great reception and imo are the best all purpose headphones under 900 (and thats just cuz of the lcd2).   Dt880/250 and dt880/600 work well w/ the asus essence built in amp, although dt880/250 and dt880/600 could still benefit from a better amp.  The mmx300 is a fun headphone, great for most mainstream genre's of music.  The mmx300 sounds great out of a iphone and does benefit slightly w/ the asus built in amp, and certainly do not benefit as much from an external amp as the dt880.  All these headphones are great for gaming, but I would say T1>Dt880/250 or 600>mmx300.    

The advantage of the mmx300 is its integrated, closed and reasonably priced (relatively), and as a result would be my first recommendation.  

If you don't want integration or closed back and don't mind spending a lil extra for the best, then I recommend the dt880/250 w/ me-3.  That being said, the ME-3 can be a bit cumbersome to attach to a headphone.  I have not found a diy solution to get it to work quite as nicely as the MMX300.  The headband of the Senn ME-3 has to be cut off w/ mic attached somewhere to be worn w/ any level of comfort w/ a headphone.  There is another disadvantage w/ this combo as well, if the mic is not attached well then the open cans will leak sound into the mic (has not been an issue for me, but could be an issue for the discerning audiophile).  I suspect this is why most integrated headsets are closed back.

So, considering, that the tg h54c is better than the ME-3, and having seen some images of this mic; it seems that even this one can be weared with most headphones... . So maybe the combination of dt880/250 and the tg h54c, is the best solution? Or, maybe, even this mic can't be used in combination with the dt880 without problems? (normally i don't listen music when i use the microphone, so there shouldn't be any great problem of leaking...)

I just noticed you found the hd595 too hot in the summer.

MMX300 has a tendency to feel warmer than the dt880, t1, or hd595.  All these headphones are known as being some of the most comfortable around...

In this case, it seems, that i just must adapt my ears to this heating :smile:

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 28
Have you considered buying 2 pairs of headphones? one for music and another for your teaching/learning stuff. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 28
2 pairs? I can do even that, but:

1) I must pay quite more, like: if i buy the dt880/250 with the tg h54c, it's 200 (more or less) +139=339. Otherwise, if i buy the mmx300 + dt880/250, i must pay, 250+200=450. So, 111€ of difference; which is not that low...

2) I must have this headsets close enough so that i can change them quickly; if i must use the microphone, or if i want to listen the music. Which is a bit tedious.

3) It's that impossible to use tha tg h54c with the dt880? I mean, for what i can see, there shouldn't be so much problems... or there is something, the images can't tell me?

EDIT: I don't why but i've took the wrong prices... now they are more correct.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 28
I think by two pairs he means, get a mmx300 for teaching and then a dt880 for other stuff.  So that would be 250 + 200ish...

There are no big issues I have w/ using a T1 or my dt880 w/ my ME-3 other than what I listed in my previous post.  I imagine the same w/ the dt880 w/ the tg h54c.  But, like I said in my previous post, I would still rec the mmx300 first.  The integration makes things so much simpler, the chords all come together into either the USB dac or straight into the sound card, its cheap, no diy mess, don't have to worry about sound leaking.  The only caveat is the dt770 is an inferior headphone than the dt880.  I would think about what type of sound you are looking for and see if you could tolerate the dt770, if not then go w/ the dt880 (or another perhaps an even better headphone?) and pair it w/ the tg h54c.  The only reason I sold my mmx300 was because I own 4 flagships now that could all pair w/ my ME-3.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 28
It's true that the chords come all together, instead of being separated, homever there are always two separate connection to plug into the audiocard, as with the dt880 + tg h54c. So, some cable-fuss in less, but not all this ease in more, in my opinion...

The only more serious problem could be the sound leaking; can this happen even if i'm not listening anything, when talking in the mic?

A better headphone could be a good idea. But it should be almost in the same price range of the dt880, and, for what i know, the dt880 are among the best for this price range...

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 28
I dont really understand your question.  If you aren't listening to anything then where would sound leak from and into the mic?

Quote:
It's true that the chords come all together, instead of being separated, homever there are always two separate connection to plug into the audiocard, as with the dt880 + tg h54c. So, some cable-fuss in less, but not all this ease in more, in my opinion...
The only more serious problem could be the sound leaking; can this happen even if i'm not listening anything, when talking in the mic?
A better headphone could be a good idea. But it should be almost in the same price range of the dt880, and, for what i know, the dt880 are among the best for this price range...

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 28
If your ears get warm using HD-595 open headphones, then closed headphone would be worse for heat.
Then Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900s would be a better choice.
And get a desk mounted micro phone.

On the Asus Xonar Essence STX, have you upgraded the op-amps (operational amplifiers)?
You can get three LME49860NAs op-amps off eBay for $15.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 28
I dont really understand your question.  If you aren't listening to anything then where would sound leak from and into the mic?

That's why i was asking it to you. Even i think that is impossible for the sound to leak through the headphone, if there isn't any source of sound. But since you in your previous post have mentioned it again, (even if i've said before that "normally i don't listen music when i use the microphone") i've thought that in someway, something, could leak anyway... that's all.

If your ears get warm using HD-595 open headphones, then closed headphone would be worse for heat.

On the Asus Xonar Essence STX, have you upgraded the op-amps (operational amplifiers)?

You are saying that the ATH-AD700 or the ATH-AD900s have the same sound quality of the dt880, and that they tend less to heat the ears, right? In this case, i'll give them a look...

A desk mounted microphone? I think that is less comfortable and practical, than one over the head, even if there's some cable-mess in less...

Nope, i've not updated the op-amps, but i remember something like that, about this audiocard. It's complex thing to do? Like desoldering the components and re-soldering the new ones, or not? The improvement is really worth this?

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 28

Quote:

Quote:

You are saying that the ATH-AD700 or the ATH-AD900s have the same sound quality of the dt880, and that they tend less to heat the ears, right? In this case, i'll give them a look...

A desk mounted microphone? I think that is less comfortable and practical, than one over the head, even if there's some cable-mess in less...

Nope, i've not updated the op-amps, but i remember something like that, about this audiocard. It's complex thing to do? Like desoldering the components and re-soldering the new ones, or not? The improvement is really worth this?

I would think the DT880 would have more bass and the DT880 might show more improvement with the Essence STX over the AD770 & AD900.
The audio Technica AD line is not known for great improvement with headphone amplifiers.
I suggested the Audio Technica AD series because they are very open headphones, so might do better for heat.

Updating the three op-amps is fairly easy, no soldering, just 4 screws to remove the shield, use a small flat headphone screw driver to pop out the current op-amps, then push in the new op-amps, then screw in the 4 screw that hold the plate in. LME49860NAs mildly improve the sound, AD797 are about the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back