Very Comfortable Lightweight Closed Headphones (~$300)
Jan 29, 2011 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fish3191

Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a nice very comfortable, very lightweight, closed headphone around 300 bucks give or take.   I have had the Ultrasone Pro 750's for a little over a year now and am looking to try out a new set of cans.  I absolutely love the soundstage and clarity that 750's achieve. The only faults are that I find though are that they seem to be a little bit on the heavy side and although the earpads are extremely soft, I find that they still put pressure on the outside of my pretty large ears.  I was doing some research on what pairs of headphones I should look into that are lightweight and have a very large earpad since those are the only negatives I have found with my pros.  I tried out one of my friend's AKG 702's and loved how lightweight and how large and comfortable they were on my ears.  I would get those if I could, but obviously the AKG 702 is open and I'm looking for headphones that are closed.  I am normally in environments where either it is a little noisy or I just don't want to have the entire population hear what I am listening to (currently a college student).  I was checking out the AKG K272 HD's since those have around the same build as the 702's, but I am still very indecisive on what I want.  I was hoping that someone could offer me a few suggestions on what the best headphones would be for me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Some basic information about what I'm looking for and tastes I have:
1. LIGHTWEIGHT
2. LARGE EARPADS
3. Closed Circumaural
4. I listen to whole spectrum of rock and also rap
5. Lower impedance would be ideal but not a killer (getting a better dac/amp setup soon)

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 7
here are your options for $300:
Beyerdynamic DT250 (great all rounder phone, balanced sound, low impedance, good isolation and comfort) I recommend these most.
Beyerdynamic DT770 ("U" shaped sound meaning recessed mids, hard to power, good isolation and comfort)
Denon D2000 (again U shaped sound, easy to power, good comfort but not a lot of isolation)
Shure 840 (balanced but warm sound, low impedance, good isolation but average comfort)
AT m50 ( U shaped sound, easy to power, good isolation but average comfort)

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks T.R.A.N.C.E for the info.  So would you say that all of these would be a better option than the akg k272 HD's?  One of the big things I want is the lightest can but also with the largest earpad, and I'm afraid the DT250 may be a little small.

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Ultrasone PRO 900's can be had for $320 via buyauthorized on eBay (make an offer; free 2 day shipping) and destroys all the above suggestions if you like bass-heavy music and sound. Meets all your requirements and just barely exceeds budget.

If you really need to get away from Ultrasone, then I would go with the DT 770 or D2000.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Yea so I checked out the akg 272HDs and even those dont have the giant earpads i was looking for that the akg 702's had.  The 702 earpads (3D-form) have a GIANT interior circumference (has a huge hole) and thickness that the pro 750 does not have.  I guess that I'm quite a bit picky, but most audiophiles are.  It seems like I am almost looking for a closed version of the 702's, which unluckily akg does not make.  So does that mean the pro 900's, dt 770, or D2000 have that thickness and large circumference?  The three three things i definitely want to change from the 750 is the thickness of the earpad, the circumference of the earpad, and the weight.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 7
In that case as far as I know the PRO 900's are the same build-wise as the 750. The DT 770 should be only slightly more comfortable than your Ultrasones as they are somewhat similar as far as pads, circumference etc. Denon's I have no personal experience with but from the looks of it they are pretty huge. Hopefully more Denon owners will be able to chime in.

And while I have not heard the closed full sized Audio Technicas, I can tell you my AD700's are enormous and have that lightweight fit you are looking for. I doubt they will compare well against the headphones you are currently looking at though in regards to sound.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 7
The DT770 and D2000 both have slightly thicker pads and also more lightweight than the Ultrasones. The DT770 has a large interior circumference, you can't really find bigger (except audio technica headphones). But you need an amp for the DT770. If you want to go audio technica, the A900 is a good headphone, but might be a downgrade in audio from the DT770 and pro 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back