Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,291 of 1,486
Could you describe this common planar timbre in comparison with the timbre of dyanamic headphones? Not many people mention this, in fact most people consider the sound of planers to be superior to dynamics, more life-like, smoother and more textured.
Only very few prefer the sound of dynamics, one of them is the founder of an alternative headphones forum, which name is not allowed to be mentioned on this forum...
Planars have that dirty driver effect, some call it an inherent lushness, foggy sound whatever people want to call it. Every planar I’ve ever owned has this. Dynamics always sound cleaner, more sterile in comparison a better word more rough, edgy, dynamic; minus biocellulose drivers which have a slight character. Anyway planars have this lack of impact in general compared to hard hitting dynamics, they also have more acceleration shall we call it, more get go, planars a more subdued, have better stop, the bass stops almost instantly giving it a sense of cleanliness or tightness where’s as dynamics sound like they move so fast they sound loose.

My main point however is the plastic timbre modern planars have, they don’t sound natural, lush as the old school planars from the 80’s. Reason why I said Verum sounds almost like a dynamic is it that speed, but has that tightness of a good planar, it doesn’t have that plastic timbre of the Audeze or Hifimans, it sounds like a traditional planar we never hear anymore.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #1,292 of 1,486
I personally don't think each technology has inherent timbral characteristics embedded in it (with the exception being electrostatics, which have an incredibly light diaphragm, presenting a unique challenge there, but even that can be circumvent, ie. the HE1, for which a thicker diaphragm was chosen ). There are dynamics, planars and electrostatics that have excellent timbre, while others do not. Ultimately, more than technology, I think it comes down to coloration and deviations in frequency response, which almost every headphone has a unique shape of. Verum has a very uniform and smooth frequency response, which is why it has such a good timbre, IMO.
Maybe not true for all headphones and maybe timbre is not the proper word (as I think timbre is a combination of tonal accuracy and technology involved) but I do think each technology has its own characteristics in terms of sound texture. Regardless of the frequency response, I don't think you will ever make a dynamic headphone sound ethereal the way an electrostat can sound, or thick the same way some planars sound. And those sound characteristics deeply impact timbre.

Anyway I think it's a very interesting topic and I wish there was more literature on this topic, especially from audio engineers who have first hand experience with various transducer technologies.

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,293 of 1,486
Maybe not true for all headphones and maybe timbre is not the proper word (as I think timbre is a combination of tonal accuracy and technology involved) but I do think each technology has its own characteristics in terms of sound texture. Regardless of the frequency response, I don't think you will ever make a dynamic headphone sound ethereal the way an electrostat can sound, or thick the same way some planars sound. And those sound characteristics deeply impact timbre.

Anyway I think it's a very interesting topic and I wish there was more literature on this topic, especially from audio engineers who have first hand experience with various transducer technologies.
Yes, in that case I misunderstood. With regards to texture, I agree the driver type makes a difference and even if these can still be somewhat compensated for, they definitely gravitate towards a certain presentation or texture.

Neither of these things make a planar or dynamic inherently better (again, electrostatics are somewhat more unique) but it's definitely something that can influence the sound significantly.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,294 of 1,486
Yes, in that case I misunderstood. With regards to texture, I agree the driver type makes a difference and even if these can still be somewhat compensated for, they definitely gravitate towards a certain presentation or texture.

Neither of these things make a planar or dynamic inherently better (again, electrostatics are somewhat more unique) but it's definitely something that can influence the sound significantly.

What is texture?

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #1,295 of 1,486
What is texture?
To me, texture is a character of sound, how much meat and body there's to the music, without necessarily speaking about the bass. It contributes to life like characteristics of sound. The fundamentals to strings, plucks and voices. An area where planars usually sound truer than dynamics IMO, but Focal comes to mind as an exception to the rule with a very dynamic, soulful sound. I am sure others can explain this better

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,296 of 1,486
Planars have that dirty driver effect, some call it an inherent lushness, foggy sound whatever people want to call it. Every planar I’ve ever owned has this. Dynamics always sound cleaner, more sterile in comparison a better word more rough, edgy, dynamic; minus biocellulose drivers which have a slight character. Anyway planars have this lack of impact in general compared to hard hitting dynamics, they also have more acceleration shall we call it, more get go, planars a more subdued, have better stop, the bass stops almost instantly giving it a sense of cleanliness or tightness where’s as dynamics sound like they move so fast they sound loose.

My main point however is the plastic timbre modern planars have, they don’t sound natural, lush as the old school planars from the 80’s. Reason why I said Verum sounds almost like a dynamic is it that speed, but has that tightness of a good planar, it doesn’t have that plastic timbre of the Audeze or Hifimans, it sounds like a traditional planar we never hear anymore.
Lazy, laid back upper mid, flatline painted-on-the-wall bass, but rarely harsh and abrasive. I think they call it subtractive distortion?

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,297 of 1,486
Personally I love both bass presentation styles, neither is inherently better, simply different. I would never give up lovely planar bass presentation, but I would also never want to be without a great dynamic headphone either. I love how my Edition X V2 does bass, but I also love how the many dynamics I have owned have presented bass. Horses for courses.

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #1,298 of 1,486
After having my Verums since September last year, here are some of my observations over time:

I discovered that my Verums actually arrived with a faulty headband adjustment system. The threading on the right nut does not fit the middle bolt, and therefore the nut remains loose and sometimes falls off. Also, the 3 bolts on the headband are not aligned and do not flushly fit, see picture below: 20191014_190525.jpg

Its not a huge concern though, and I understand that these cans are not factory produced. I will not be returning them as I'm aware of the amount of time it'll take, I've decided to seal the right nut to the bolt using resin.
That being said, they accidentally fell off my desk onto a tiled floor, but held up well with absolutely no damage.
As for power, it works quite well on my Sabaj PHA2 but I'm saving up for either an SMSL sp200 or JDS labs EL or Element, as I know it scales very well with better amps and dacs.

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,302 of 1,486
mine are starting to show the imbalance issue more often. i was tapping them to fix it but today the one side just cut out for a few seconds altogether no sound at all. i checked the cable and tried a different one. i tapped it again and then the sound came back on. ill have to get with you soon. is there a way to get the new headband? and if we send them back do you send out the newer style drivers or somehow fix the old ones? thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back