VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013)
Jan 31, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #256 of 507
You may get a better response to your question on the Apex Glacier thread. I know there's at least @turorocks there who's got the Samsung Galaxy S3 & Apex Glacier. He bought a VentureCraft USB cable (through me) but had to modify it to make it OTG capable. I don't own a Galaxy S3 and although I know it has a Wolfson DAC, I have no idea how good the implementation is.

Besides, is it even possible to have audio line-out out of a Galaxy S3? So even your ALO Continental suggestion may not even be an option (unless you're talking about double-amping from the cellphone's headphone out).

Either double amping with the alo continental or using a cheap usb dac like the hifiman 101 with alo continental. The warm sound of a tube amp appeals to me but then maybe the synergy of the apex glacier and my denon d5000s woukd be better as the denons are quite warm.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #257 of 507
Quote:
Either double amping with the alo continental or using a cheap usb dac like the hifiman 101 with alo continental. The warm sound of a tube amp appeals to me but then maybe the synergy of the apex glacier and my denon d5000s woukd be better as the denons are quite warm.

For your latter option, if you're looking at compatible DACs to Android, have a look at this thread :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1575#post_9113364

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #258 of 507
For your latter option, if you're looking at compatible DACs to Android, have a look at this thread :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1575#post_9113364

Yeah ive had a thorough look at quite a few of the compatible amp/dacs. I came to the conclusion the apex glacier seemed the best and got good reviews. I just want to ascertain whether id get better sound quality from s3 and apex or hifiman 101 and standalone alo continental tube amp. I figured cos thr alo continental is over $500 and its just an amp that it might have better sound quality than the apex amp.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #259 of 507
Quote:
Hmm...It's annoying I can't try the combo before I buy. It feels a bit like gambling when you pull the trigger on something based on the reviews & opinions you've read. 

Mike from Headphonia said he likes the sound of his HD 650's and a coloured tube amp - would that be a similar combo to the Denons and the ALO Continental tube amp?

yes, thats the HD 650, not the Denon D5000 - different in every possible way.
Quote:
Do you think id get better sound quality using the usb audio out of my Samsung S3 with Apex Glacier or just using an Alo Continental tube amp?

quality? definitely the Apex, because you will be using the DAC on the Apex and not the S3, and Denons benefit more from a better DAC then most. 
Quote:
You may get a better response to your question on the Apex Glacier thread. I know there's at least @turorocks there who's got the Samsung Galaxy S3 & Apex Glacier. He bought a VentureCraft USB cable (through me) but had to modify it to make it OTG capable. I don't own a Galaxy S3 and although I know it has a Wolfson DAC, I have no idea how good the implementation is.

Besides, is it even possible to have audio line-out out of a Galaxy S3? So even your ALO Continental suggestion may not even be an option (unless you're talking about double-amping from the cellphone's headphone out).

Yes with a butchered USB cable with some odd resistor.
Quote:

Double amping is crap. I'll say again Denons work better with better DACs.

and you have officially annoyed me. Look I'm going to say this one last time. 
DENONS ARE COLOURED AND WARM!!!!!

Now trust me when I say they have their own character. So STOP trying to drown them in syrup. You will love the sound as is if you follow my guidelines. They really are the king of fun, and you can't make them the super king of fun, you can only cover it in dog turd. Alright?

I'm not gonna help you anymore - and read the damn thread in my sig 456

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #260 of 507
Anyone knows how musicaacoustics.com inform you that the order has been received, etc. I order like 12 hours ago, no order number or any form of contact, just a PayPal receipt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #261 of 507
I have a connection question.  I own the Vamp version of the GoDap 4 and thought this would be a better forum to address my issue.  I find it is underpowered on occasion with my M-100.  Since it is impractical to remove my Iphone 4 from the housing every time I want to use the line out to connect to another amp, I was wondering if there is a way to connect to a more powerful amp, let's say a Centrance M8, through the S/PDIF Toslink connection in Vamp's headphone jack and where I would connect to the amp if this was possible.  Or, S/PDIF to line out of another portable amp.  The goal would be to use the GoDap's DAC listening to headphones through the connected amp.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #263 of 507
Quote:
I thought the Hifi M8 was iPhone compatible already? Just hook it up directly rather than using the VAmp as a transport??

I'm not sure what connectors are available.  It may just be that I am trying to salvage Vamp even though I consider it to be underpowered and it is too difficult to switch out portable amps to get to my 30-pin line out.  Puting aside DAC and battery, Vamp is only 150mw per channel.  In contrast, the new FiiO E12 is 850 mw, getting solid reviews already, looks great  and only costs $130.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #264 of 507
I'm not sure what connectors are available.  It may just be that I am trying to salvage Vamp even though I consider it to be underpowered and it is too difficult to switch out portable amps to get to my 30-pin line out.  Puting aside DAC and battery, Vamp is only 150mw per channel.  In contrast, the new FiiO E12 is 850 mw, getting solid reviews already, looks great  and only costs $130.
If I'm not mistaken, the Fiio is an amp only. Therefore you won't be able to use the VAmp since the DAC/Amp are integrated (unlike this Fostex HP-P1 for example).

I don't know how much power the M8 has but seems it supports balanced out & is designed for high impedance cans, so you could use the iPhone straight with the M8.

On the other hand if you like the E12, but want a minimal package then just use a LOD & hook the iPhone straight to the E12. You'll be using the internal iPhone 4S DAC though.

The other option which I own is the CLAS -dB+Rx Mk3. This can drive the high impedance cans.

Of course you could hook the CLAS -dB with the Fiio E12 too.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #265 of 507
Quote:
I don't know how much power the M8 has but seems it supports balanced out & is designed for high impedance cans, so you could use the iPhone straight with the M8

here is some info :wink:

[td]
[td] Brand[/td] [td] CEntrance HiFi-M8[/td] [td] Sony[/td] [td] Fostex[/td] [td] V-Moda[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Retail[/td] [td] $***[/td] [td] $***[/td] [td] $***[/td] [td] $***[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Phone Input[/td] [td] iPad/iPhone/iPod[/td] [td] iPad/iPhone/iPod[/td] [td] No USB, no iPad[/td] [td] No USB, no iPad[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] USB input[/td] [td] 24/192[/td] [td] 24/96[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Balanced out[/td] [td] Yes[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Output type[/td] [td] Balanced + Unbalanced[/td] [td] Unbalanced only[/td] [td] Unbalanced only[/td] [td] Unbalanced only[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] No. Outputs[/td] [td] Two[/td] [td] One[/td] [td] One[/td] [td] One[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Output jack[/td] [td] XLR and ¼" pro type[/td] [td] 3.5 mm consumer[/td] [td] 3.5 mm consumer[/td] [td] 3.5 mm consumer[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Output power[/td] [td] 1.5 W/ch[/td] [td] 175 mW/ch[/td] [td] 80mW/ch[/td] [td] 150 mW/ch[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Impedance[/td] [td] 3 position switch[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Tone shaping[/td] [td] Hi: 3 pos , Low: 3 pos[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] 2 pos., combined[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Battery meter[/td] [td] Yes[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td]
[/td] [td]  

[/td]

[td=colspan:3]
[td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Support for Unbalanced OR Balanced headphones, IEMs and overhead

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Support for iPhone/iPad/iPod input AND Mac/PC (approval pending)

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Choice of portable or desktop operation (battery or wall-powered)

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
1, 2, 10 Ohm, selectable[/td] [td] Three levels of output impedance, for best headphone linearity

[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Three levels of headphone gain, for headphone sensitivity matching

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Three levels of bass sonic shaping, for matching to various headphones

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Three levels of treble sonic shaping, for matching to various headphones

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Ability to charge the phone/tablet off the power adapter while playing

[/td]
[/td]

*sorry for the terrible cut and paste job. BACK on topic to the GO-DAP X!

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #266 of 507
Quote:
here is some info :wink:

[td]
[td] Brand[/td] [td] CEntrance HiFi-M8[/td] [td] Sony[/td] [td] Fostex[/td] [td] V-Moda[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Retail[/td] [td] $***[/td] [td] $***[/td] [td] $***[/td] [td] $***[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Phone Input[/td] [td] iPad/iPhone/iPod[/td] [td] iPad/iPhone/iPod[/td] [td] No USB, no iPad[/td] [td] No USB, no iPad[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] USB input[/td] [td] 24/192[/td] [td] 24/96[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Balanced out[/td] [td] Yes[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Output type[/td] [td] Balanced + Unbalanced[/td] [td] Unbalanced only[/td] [td] Unbalanced only[/td] [td] Unbalanced only[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] No. Outputs[/td] [td] Two[/td] [td] One[/td] [td] One[/td] [td] One[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Output jack[/td] [td] XLR and ¼" pro type[/td] [td] 3.5 mm consumer[/td] [td] 3.5 mm consumer[/td] [td] 3.5 mm consumer[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Output power[/td] [td] 1.5 W/ch[/td] [td] 175 mW/ch[/td] [td] 80mW/ch[/td] [td] 150 mW/ch[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Impedance[/td] [td] 3 position switch[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Tone shaping[/td] [td] Hi: 3 pos , Low: 3 pos[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] 2 pos., combined[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Battery meter[/td] [td] Yes[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td] No[/td] [td]  [/td]
[/td] [td]  

[/td]

[td=colspan:3]
[td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Support for Unbalanced OR Balanced headphones, IEMs and overhead

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]  [/td] [td] Support for iPhone/iPad/iPod input AND Mac/PC (approval pending)

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Choice of portable or desktop operation (battery or wall-powered)

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
1, 2, 10 Ohm, selectable[/td] [td] Three levels of output impedance, for best headphone linearity

[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Three levels of headphone gain, for headphone sensitivity matching

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Three levels of bass sonic shaping, for matching to various headphones

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Three levels of treble sonic shaping, for matching to various headphones

[/td]
[td]
x.gif
[/td] [td]
bullet_vio.gif
[/td] [td]
x.gif
[/td] [td] Ability to charge the phone/tablet off the power adapter while playing

[/td]
[/td]

*sorry for the terrible cut and paste job. BACK on topic to the GO-DAP X!

Well with those kinda specs on the M8, it's kinda hard to get back onto the Go-DAP X topic :wink:.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #269 of 507
Is there really a noticeable difference in sound bypassing the Iphone 4 DAC, or will a quality amp alone using line out have far-and-away the greatest impact?  Does an Ipod classic have a superior built-in DAC?  Any downside to Ipod classic? 

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #270 of 507
Quote:
Is there really a noticeable difference in sound bypassing the Iphone 4 DAC, or will a quality amp alone using line out have far-and-away the greatest impact?  Does an Ipod classic have a superior built-in DAC?  Any downside to Ipod classic? 

iphone dac == shizer most porbably 88db SNR

other portable > 105db  so yes, thats in the obviously audible and very big difference range. over 120dB I would say improvements minimize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back