VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013)
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #31 of 507
Quote:
2 Things.

1: if this does work with a pc, with USB audio Class 1, then its possible it will work with CM7 android devices, like mine, which means I can continue to hate on apple, YAY!

2: it doesn't fix the form factor of the device like the 4, and the VAMP, which is a bad thing IMHO, what they should do is have interchangeable "covers" that wrap and protect the device and attach to the go-dap, that way the phone protected like it is with the 4 or the vamp, and it can be scaled to other devices. Gives it a great amount of longevity, versus the 1~2 year lifespan they have now.

Or am I the only one that thinks this?

1: It's not a question of "if". It will. In fact that is one of its primary features (about the USB DAC/Amp). Interoperability with Android OTOH, I have no idea. I thought there weren't any drivers, even in the latest ICS and there was some poll going on trying to convince the developers to come up with a driver to use external USB DACs??

2: Agreed about the replaceable jacket as mentioned in my review last year. I've also talked to VentureCraft about this for many months and mentioned they could even sell the customer replaceable jacket as an accessory (with different patterns, colours, etc.). Seemed they focused their resources on a USB/iDevice DAC/Amp combo instead.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #32 of 507
Quote:

1: It's not a question of "if". It will. In fact that is one of its primary features (about the USB DAC/Amp). Interoperability with Android OTOH, I have no idea. I thought there weren't any drivers, even in the latest ICS and there was some poll going on trying to convince the developers to come up with a driver to use external USB DACs??

2: Agreed about the replaceable jacket as mentioned in my review last year. I've also talked to VentureCraft about this for many months and mentioned they could even sell the customer replaceable jacket as an accessory (with different patterns, colours, etc.). Seemed they focused their resources on a USB/iDevice DAC/Amp combo instead.

1: yeah i phrased it badly, its more an IF its driverless with a PC, then it will work. CM7 uses ALSA, afaik, and it allows USB class audio if the kernel devs implemented it, because the CM7 rom has support for it, I even have Dock settings.

2: They could even open up the jacket specs for other manufacturers, so that they only focus on the hardware, and maybe a small licence fee for the jackets

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #33 of 507
No words on release dates, huh. Anyways, I can't wait to see how it turns out! Their previous products haven't had the greatest sound quality. 
redface.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #34 of 507
I had managed to listen to the Go-DAP X quite well this past Saturday. No date yet but maybe around August?

Since I've already owned the Go-DAP 4.0 the initial Go-DAP X was just, "meh, same thing in a different shell - but with USB DAC support.

And normally I don't bother with features manufacturer puts into these kinds of devices - ASR, VQ, etc.

However whilst demo-ing the Go-DAP X, the general manager grabbed the device & hit a button & wow! Surround Sound! My eyes popped out...quite unexpected!!

So to me that's a nice little feature.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #35 of 507
Yes, I also tried it at that meet.

Its a bit thicker than I imagined (still smaller profile than my Fostex hp_p1).

I thought it sounded quite good.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #38 of 507
Will it sort of like trickle charge my iDevices like what the Fostex HP-P1 does?

Like the way HP-P1does? Short answer is "No, it doesn't trickle-charge". Long answer is, it'll charge like a portable battery pack instead!!

It has a 2200mAh battery & will charge an iDevice like the Go-DAP 4.0 charges an iPhone.

As for price, unknown.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #39 of 507
Venturecraft really are pulling out all the punches with their new line. Quite simply: nothing on the market like the GoDap, and nothing on the market like the DapX. I'm so impressed by both devices, but didn't get time enough to really really check out the DapX at the headphone show. I'm hoping for a longer listen this week.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #41 of 507
Quote:
"meh, same thing in a different shell - but with USB DAC support."

So this means the DAP X can be used with your PC as an external DAC/AMP?

Oooh... that's my main beef with the HP_P1- that it can't do that.

Yep. AFAIK, the Go-DAP X is the first product that officially supports iDevices & PC USB in one unit.

No I don't consider those USB DAC "hacks" with the iPad CCK as a solution when it's not officially supported.

But the Go-DAP X must be used as a unit. i.e. DAC/Amp. Cannot use it as a DAC-only with some other 3rd party external Amp.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #42 of 507
Quote:
Yep. AFAIK, the Go-DAP X is the first product that officially supports iDevices & PC USB in one unit.
No I don't consider those USB DAC "hacks" with the iPad CCK as a solution when it's not officially supported.
But the Go-DAP X must be used as a unit. i.e. DAC/Amp. Cannot use it as a DAC-only with some other 3rd party external Amp.

that last part kind of sucks, BUT, the idea of having both in one unit and making it portable is perfect for Jelly Bean android devices, This will be the first portable dac/amp that supports both iDevices and USB class audio (Android Jelly Bean, PCs etc) and that will only expand. 

Personally I think the timing could not be more perfect.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #43 of 507
Personally I think the timing could not be more perfect.
Pure Speculation:
I'n my conversations with VentureCraft it has lead me to believe the Go-DAP X's readiness for upcoming products are more by design rather than chance.

I can't say anything more beyond that.

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #44 of 507
Quote:
Pure Speculation:
I'n my conversations with VentureCraft it has lead me to believe the Go-DAP X's readiness for upcoming products are more by design rather than chance.
I can't say anything more beyond that.

so I'm going to state that they knew what was going to happen with Android before Jelly Bean was made public? or was the focus the PC platform and they scored when Google made the announcement?

I'm going to place a rather large amount of money on the implication you made to the former.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #45 of 507
Sounds like this might be shaped to conform to the size of the iPhone 5... which will be larger

I would really love it if this actually sounds better than the the iPhone headphone out with IEMs. Otherwise, for my purposes, what is the point? There are cheaper battery packs out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back