Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #122 of 662
The Duke definitely needs high quality music files and good amp/dac to sound it's best.

I wonder how these things compare the Etymotic er4.

Does anyone have both?

I feel they are revealing enough to make it easy to tell the difference between different amps/dacs and sources, for me anyway. I think they have the potential to scale well with better equipment.

Calyx PaT and Duke pair very well

Whats the sound signature of the PaT like? Does it work well out of your phone?

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #123 of 662
The Duke is a brighter, colder and leaner sounding earphone than what I'm used to hearing. The plus side for a tuning like this is that they trade in the warmth for a very fast and detailed response. This is why I would like to compare them to the Etymotic er4. People often times post similar impressions with them.

With poorer recordings and low power devices they sound sibilant and harsh. With a bump in power and resolution they sound pretty nice with a fast punchy bass, very detailed and impressive midrange, and a treble that is extended, detailed and less harsh than something like an mp3 playing from a cell phone.

My current rig is my LG G3, micro USB OTG, Calyx PaT, and Duke with my wide bore tips from Lunashops. I'm streaming my Google Music at 320kbps.

At home I'll use the Duke with my LP5. DSD and flac sounds awesome. I'll even use the Bravo Ocean amp and the warm and expansive sound gives the Duke a nice sound.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #124 of 662
The Duke is a brighter, colder and leaner sounding earphone than what I'm used to hearing. The plus side for a tuning like this is that they trade in the warmth for a very fast and detailed response. This is why I would like to compare them to the Etymotic er4. People often times post similar impressions with them.

With poorer recordings and low power devices they sound sibilant and harsh. With a bump in power and resolution they sound pretty nice with a fast punchy bass, very detailed and impressive midrange, and a treble that is extended, detailed and less harsh than something like an mp3 playing from a cell phone.

My current rig is my LG G3, micro USB OTG, Calyx PaT, and Duke with my wide bore tips from Lunashops. I'm streaming my Google Music at 320kbps.

At home I'll use the Duke with my LP5. DSD and flac sounds awesome. I'll even use the Bravo Ocean amp and the warm and expansive sound gives the Duke a nice sound.

Hey Vince, can't wait to hear your impressions with the RA (in low gain lol)

Sorry again, about our limited productivity with the RA, we wanna make it good, so we are taking our time, don't wanna rush it.

Cheers 

Lee

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #125 of 662
Hey Vince, can't wait to hear your impressions with the RA (in low gain lol)

Sorry again, about our limited productivity with the RA, we wanna make it good, so we are taking our time, don't wanna rush it.

Cheers 

Lee
Take your time friend, much appreciated.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #126 of 662

Likewise, it is definitely different sounding than anything else in my collection. What keeps me coming back is the midrange and quality bass and clarity of course. I like how guitars sound full and meaty in rock tracks and how the vocals seem to float in front of me. I sadly don't have the gear to fully take advantage of it, but I am working on changing that. 

FWIW, I found it to sound best for me with foam tips. Thanks to the R2a I am more used to using foams now. With the foam, the Duke feels more comfortable for me, while giving a balanced sound signature top to bottom. 

Dat bass doe. I like how controlled it is and how fast it decays and not flabby at all. Somewhat dry bass as opposed to wet bass that hits you over the head (like the R2A).

When I use comply, I try to get the deepest insertion possible and try and angle the house so the Duke Nozzle sits as close to the first bend of the ear canal as possible. This gives the best soundstage for the Duke imo.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #127 of 662
A comparison with ER4S would be really great. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #128 of 662
Calyx PaT and Duke pair very well

Will give that combo a try.

I've been trying out the iBasso D14 DAC/Amp and am using Fiio X5 coax out to D14 to IEM. Very nice source combo!

Was listening to Heaven VII with it last night and decided to switch over to Duke. Some thoughts...

Man, are the Duke an airier sound. With Heaven VII, I feel like there's sound filling up my entire headspace. With the Duke, there's some room for individual sounds to breathe. Prefer the Duke's presentation, but I'm a sucker for cooler sound signatures so that's not surprising.

The Dukes are also much more comfortable and easier to get a good fit than the Heaven VII.

They're both very nice IEM. The Heaven VII in no way sounds like a typical single BA IEM. However, for my tastes I'd pick the Duke.

Bonus: the Duke is less than half the price of the Heaven VII and doesn't come packaged with fake fur and a carry case that looks like an old-skool cigarette case, lol.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #130 of 662
These are sounding better every day.

The level of detail and separation is epic.

I can't tell you how many times in the last three days I've set out to accomplish something, and ended up listening to these for an hour or more instead.

I intentionally left the Duke at home when going to work so I could be more productive.

Duke is amazeballs

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #131 of 662
These are sounding better every day.

The level of detail and separation is epic.

I can't tell you how many times in the last three days I've set out to accomplish something, and ended up listening to these for an hour or more instead.

I intentionally left the Duke at home when going to work so I could be more productive.

Duke is amazeballs

Yup!

DUKE EEZ GOOOD!!!

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back