Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Aug 9, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #91 of 662
:) The R2A is more fun and forgiving??  I'm guessing I won't have a dog in this hunt. I sold my R2As a week after I got them. Let's just say my non-audiophile ears were unimpressed....

:eek: :eek: TWIN

If you didn't like R2A fir reasons RedJohn456 mentioned, then I bet you'd like the Dukes!

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #92 of 662

The R2A has more of a consumer sound compared to the Duke imo   But yeah the R2A is more fun, bassier and forgiving of source material. Hence consumer sound :p  Treble is a lot less refined on the R2A with less extension.

Not familiar with a dog in this hunt saying, is that good or bad? :p

cool.gif
R John,  It's a way of saying I will probably be an outsider to this Earphone as sonically it doesn't sound like it's going to be my preference. I kind of prefer a Modified W EQ shape with the Bass leg Extended more than the Treble, with the Mids a Tad Forward for Vocals. If there really is such a Thing. I'm not a Basshead but without a strong Bass presence there's no impact. At least to my ears.

"Dog in the Hunt" actually refers in the USA to a Southern Tradition of Racoon Hunting where a Pack of Dogs Trees a Racoon. I suppose in England and Europe it would apply to Fox Hunting.

At least this is my understanding.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #93 of 662
:) The R2A is more fun and forgiving??  I'm guessing I won't have a dog in this hunt. I sold my R2As a week after I got them. Let's just say my non-audiophile ears were unimpressed....

:eek: :eek: TWIN

Didn't you call them(the R2As) "end-game" IEMs at one point? What happened within a week that you went from thinking they were amazing to being unimpressed?

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #94 of 662

cool.gif
R John,  It's a way of saying I will probably be an outsider to this Earphone as sonically it doesn't sound like it's going to be my preference. I kind of prefer a Modified W EQ shape with the Bass leg Extended more than the Treble, with the Mids a Tad Forward for Vocals. If there really is such a Thing. I'm not a Basshead but without a strong Bass presence there's no impact. At least to my ears.

"Dog in the Hunt" actually refers in the USA to a Southern Tradition of Racoon Hunting where a Pack of Dogs Trees a Racoon. I suppose in England and Europe it would apply to Fox Hunting.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

The Duke has good bass but it is well balanced with the rest of the spectrum and to my ears it doesn't really boom like the R2A. I suppose it is a case of quality vs quantity. Not to say the bass on the R2A isn't quality (R2A sub bass is fantastic) but the closest thing for me would be the EX1000. Yummy textured bass that is there when called for and always tight and under control. Perhaps it is more like the R2Pro in that aspect.

Even as a closet basshead I actually can appreciate the bass for what it is and it sounds decent with EDM and bass heavy tracks but the R2A would be a better choice for bass heavy music imo.

With regards to my earlier comment about the R2a being more consumer, it was a tongue in cheek comment of course and no offence meant :) 

And thanks for explaining the saying. I figured it was something along those lines but wanted to clarify it. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #95 of 662

cool.gif

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

FWIW, whatever music I play with the Duke, the vocals are present naturally and very clearly. I don't know if I would classify the Duke as mid-forward, but the vocals are often highlighted, be it male or female. I hate to use this term but to me the vocals sound "sweet", to my ears anyway and ymmv, depending on tips, ear anatomy etc. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #96 of 662
Didn't you call them(the R2As) "end-game" IEMs at one point? What happened within a week that you went from thinking they were amazing to being unimpressed?

cool.gif
Selenium, I thought they were, but that was an INTITIAL impression. Alas, I always fawn for a few moments over a new sound. It's Why i'm NOT a reviewer.  After a week of listening and burn-in they were still Very Good, don't get me wrong, but to my ears they fell into the Category of Havi B3 Pro 1s, (which I also sold) : Very Nice detailed earphones, quite accurate, and BORING.... plus when you add in Hard to drive at 32 Ohms or so, and a small driver that can be overdriven with TOO much power.... well that just ain't working for old TWIN....

I haven't got that many years left. Don't deprive me of excitement.
biggrin.gif

That's what worries me most about these Dukes. Small Driver, Over 16 Ohm and uncanny resemblance to the Flares, only with a better cable anchor on the IEM body.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #97 of 662
I'm starting to really enjoy them.

Bass through midrange is pretty spectacular. The treble is very detailed and crisp. I'm sure those who are sensitive to treble will take a stance on them. They follow along the lines of V-sonic treble IMHO.

I wish I had a pair of GR07 to compare them to.

Anyways, they are a very fun listen and bordering on an addictive signature for me. That midrange is phenomenal to my ears.

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #98 of 662
Isolation on the Duke is fantastic. Because of this I can enjoy them at lower volumes without the outside world impacting my listening experience.

They worked great on the train Saturday. These are great for commuting and without being bass cannons.

Bass follows along the lines of the Zen. There's plenty of bass don't get me wrong. The 20-60 Hz range is there, but not as forward as 60Hz and up. The more I listen to this type of bass tuning the more I like it.

Bass through midrange, I'll agree with RedJohn456 and say the best word to describe it is natural.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #103 of 662
  ordered a Duke and really curious to hear it... could anybody compare the Duke to Aurisonics Rockets, Flare Audio R2Pro or RHA t20?

@mochill is getting a Duke and he has the rockers so he might be able to compare. I don't have the R2 Pro but the R2A and I posted a small comparison earlier in the thread. Hope you enjoy it!

I personally enjoy using it with Havi foam tips http://penonaudio.com/HAVI-Foam-Eartips  

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #104 of 662
  ordered a Duke and really curious to hear it... could anybody compare the Duke to Aurisonics Rockets, Flare Audio R2Pro or RHA t20?

Nice, Pls share the driver info/tech specs from the box when you get it (sry if it's in ONLY chinese and happy if you know chinese
wink.gif
), as I haven't received a PROMPT response from the respective concern, which I had asked 2-3 days ago....even unknown aliexpress sellers who sells unknown 0.1C to $1 cheapo gadgets are very good at it,imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back