Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Aug 27, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #332 of 662
Dang!

I got the runabout in.

Lee, you were right again. It pairs INCREDIBLY well with the Duke.

I put together a rig that is amazeballs. Pictures will be up in a bit. Right now I'm enjoying this too much to stop listening right now.

Duke and runabout go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #333 of 662
Afraid I'm a bit lukewarm on the pairing

If you run line-out from any of the Fiio's, there is simply too little play on the pot before it gets to overly loud levels. And because (like most analogue pots) there is channel imbalance near the start, it's simply too close to being too loud.

If I use the headphone out then I have a lot more head-room, but agin, a better design would have seen low gain being more usable.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #334 of 662
Afraid I'm a bit lukewarm on the pairing

If you run line-out from any of the Fiio's, there is simply too little play on the pot before it gets to overly loud levels. And because (like most analogue pots) there is channel imbalance near the start, it's simply too close to being too loud.

If I use the headphone out then I have a lot more head-room, but agin, a better design would have seen low gain being more usable.

The RA I got in for testing doesn't have the channel imbalance issue at normal listening levels Brooko. For me, it's no worse than something like the Cayin C5. Do I wish it had more usable volume pot? Yes. Is it completely unworkable? No.

How about yours Hisoundfi?

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #335 of 662
The RA I got in for testing doesn't have the channel imbalance issue at normal listening levels Brooko. For me, it's no worse than something like the Cayin C5. Do I wish it had more usable volume pot? Yes. Is it completely unworkable? No.

I'm getting the usual subtle imbalance when I initially start to turn it up from silent. After that it's normal. This happens with a lot of amplifiers I have. To be honest I don't ever listen at a volume low enough that the imbalance would ever be an issue.

I am using the runabout with my LP5 line out and half way up is almost deafening. A little more play would be nice, but I find it workable.

I'm still kind of in awe of how this thing pairs with the Dukes. I'm sure the fat copper wire I'm using is helping to warm the sound and tame the treble a smidge. It's just a very natural sound that makes live recordings sound amazeballs.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #337 of 662
Vince

At least I can mimic your set-up

LP5 (line-out) > RA > Duke - volume at 9am on the pot is louder than I would normally listen

Low gain

I'd be deaf if I got to half way

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #338 of 662
Vince

At least I can mimic your set-up

LP5 (line-out) > RA > Duke - volume at 9am on the pot is louder than I would normally listen

Low gain

I'd be deaf if I got to half way
Ya, I'm listening comfortably at about 10 o'clock.

PM about to be sent to you friend.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #340 of 662
Same - I'd suspect it was just my unit, but had someone else comment that there is just not enough play on the pot.

It's fine with something high impedance like the Zen, but this and the Duke ......... not for this kid.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #341 of 662

This! I'm mighty impressed with the RA this far. Its built and finish is also much better than I expected from the pictures.

Edit: I'm even using it on high gain with the Duke without any issues.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #343 of 662
how they treating you peter123:laughing:

So far so good.

I'm gonna play around more with tips. I'd like to find the right balance between the soundstage and air with foamies (but a bit harsh sounding) and the smoothness and fullness with deep inserted silicons.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #344 of 662
So I brought the Lancea, RA and the Duke to work today to play around with and these are my findings in relation to the latest posts:

There's channal imbalance on my unit only at the lowest audioble volume. Even at low listening level I detect no imbalace.

Normal listening level for me is around 10 o'clock on low gain. With some music I even need to go closer to 12 o'clock.

I received my unit yesterday so it may be produced at a different time than the ones that arrived to people a while ago. 

I'm seriously impressed with this setup 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back