Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Aug 27, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #316 of 662

I think Vsonic GR07 stock silicon might work well actually, or Sony hybrids.

These are just want I grabbed for the first 15 minutes, I will be tinkering around some more.

IME the wider bore tips made the upper range too hot for me. I went for a happy balance with the white double flange (which is apparently similar to the hifiman ones). Aside from the foam tips, and white double flange, I find the Duke to not play well and sound a bit too hot as my other tips just don't play well with it, with the wider nozzle. Tip rolling is half the fun anyway and its a nice feeling when you find the perfect set of earths for it.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #317 of 662

IME the wider bore tips made the upper range too hot for me. I went for a happy balance with the white double flange (which is apparently similar to the hifiman ones). Aside from the foam tips, and white double flange, I find the Duke to not play well and sound a bit too hot as my other tips just don't play well with it, with the wider nozzle. Tip rolling is half the fun anyway and its a nice feeling when you find the perfect set of earths for it.

Thanks for the pics, but they're not nearly crappy enough 
tongue.gif

The narrow bore silicone tips that came with the Duke look suspiciously like those that came with the VSD series. Those are working for me so far. When I tried the white-ish wide bore tips that came with the Duke, bass levels were too low and treble too prominent for my taste. Narrow bore tips helped alleviate those issues for me.

Haha, @ pics.

My only concern is Duke sounds quite thin / enhanced around the upper midrange onwards into the treble. I don't have a problem with its treble atm from test tracks I used and will be testing further. I also want to try with another source, maybe something warmer than DX50, as the brightness is rather prominent, almost glaring with female vocals, like someone simply boosted the upper EQ range on a graphic equalizer. While this does produce a lot of clean upper detail its also known as fake or faux detail simply lending it off the cold tonality.

Let me play with them and confirm somethings.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #318 of 662
Luke  - try Joe's EQ (posted here)

I think you'll be impressed.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #321 of 662
After at last having managed to take the Monk's out of ears (yeah I know I don't like earbuds yada yada :wink:) I've finally hooked up the Runabout to the SHOZY Lancea and brought out the Duke (man how cool is that name) and holy macaroni, these certainly fit my preferences.

So far the Etymotic tri-flanges (slightly uncomfortable) and the Mh1c (very comfortable) seem to give me great sound without anything obvious bothering me.

More to come....

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #323 of 662
Aug 27, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #325 of 662
H20Fidelity: I was thinking warmer source, too. Was going to try them with good ol' Fiio X3 soon :wink:

peter123: Don't have Etys. How do the Ety tri-flange compare to the grey tri-flange that came with the Duke? I thought the Duke sounded good with the tri-flange but felt more in my head and reverted to the narrow bore Vsonic like tips. Going to try foamies and Sony Hybrid Isolation tips today.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #328 of 662
H20Fidelity: I was thinking warmer source, too. Was going to try them with good ol' Fiio X3 soon :wink:

peter123: Don't have Etys. How do the Ety tri-flange compare to the grey tri-flange that came with the Duke? I thought the Duke sounded good with the tri-flange but felt more in my head and reverted to the narrow bore Vsonic like tips. Going to try foamies and Sony Hybrid Isolation tips today.

I'll take some pictures of them both tomorrow, and don't worry I promise they'll be crappy :wink:

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #330 of 662
The crappier the better! Get out that old 1 megapixel flip phone :wink:

Lol, I've got a Sony phone so no need to worry about it not being crappy :wink:

The Duke ftw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back