Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Aug 26, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #286 of 662

I have large Hifiman biflanges that fit the Dukes. However, their tube is too long for my purpose. I need to get the nozzle exit almost to the 2nd bend (similar to the ER4S) in order to keep sibilance at bay.

Would a wider diameter of the stock double flange help in that case? I am assuming that you were not getting a good seal with it because the diameter was smaller than your ear canal?

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #288 of 662
Would a wider diameter of the stock double flange help in that case? I am assuming that you were not getting a good seal with it because the diameter was smaller than your ear canal?

No, it's the same thing as to why you don't get the best out of an ER4S with custom tips, because they protrude too far in front of the nozzle. In order to get the Duke's nozzle anywhere near the reference plane, the tip exit needs to sit fairly flush with the nozzle exit. Even though, only larger ear canals will manage to accommodate the Duke that deeply. With my kind of fit, no part of the earphone sticks out, not even the strain relief.

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #289 of 662
No, it's the same thing as to why you don't get the best out of an ER4S with custom tips, because they protrude too far in front of the nozzle. In order to get the Duke's nozzle anywhere near the reference plane, the tip exit needs to sit fairly flush with the nozzle exit. Even though, only larger ear canals will manage to accommodate the Duke that deeply. With my kind of fit, no part of the earphone sticks out, not even the strain relief.

That's just ungodly, man :eek:

To each their own :beerchug:

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #290 of 662

Ah okay that makes more sense. I am not familiar with the term reference place. Pretty impressive if you are able to insert the whole thing, must be pretty deep insertion!

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #293 of 662
Well, that was quite an informative read. What is the easiest way to determine you have reached the reference plane, past the 2nd bend?

I'd rather say up to than past the 2nd bend. The first drawing is about earmolds for CIEMs, not universal IEMs. I'm not an expert on how to determine the correct depth for individual listeners, you might want to ask that in the ER4S thread. I just know how deeply to insert my ER4S, and since the Dukes are roughly the same length I can conclude that I'm (almost) having a 2nd bend fit with them.

FWIW, I can run my sibilance test tracks and pull them out only by 1-2mm to hear sibilance creep in again. Note though that this may very much depend on individual ear anatomy.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #294 of 662
That's just ungodly, man
eek.gif

To each their own
beerchug.gif

It's simply born out of necessity in my case. Congrats to those who get well-behaved treble with a shallower fit. 
redface.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #295 of 662
James - thanks for the tips on insertion.  Used smaller foams tonight, and pushed them further than I would normally go.  Sibilance gone - unfortunately for me, so is the comfort to a certain degree. Great isolation though 
wink.gif
.  Drawback is that for me, they sound slightly hollow now.

Think I personally prefer normal insertion with Comply S, and Joe's EQ .....

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #297 of 662
I missed the courier today, he had Duke ready to drop in my hands. I need to wait until tomorrow for a redelivery.

I suppose I can start polishing my tip collection in the meantime.

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #298 of 662
I've seen people with their ER4s so deep you couldn't even see the strain relief. Blows my mind. :eek:

Never seen it and quite frankly, I don't want to :blink:

I missed the courier today, he had Duke ready to drop in my hands. I need to wait until tomorrow for a redelivery.

I suppose I can start polishing my tip collection in the meantime.

Bummer!

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back