Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
May 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #302 of 441
i do now, lol

May 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #303 of 441
Anyone still interested in changing to velour ear pads for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones should go to Amazon and lookup Shure replacement velour ear cushions HPAEC940 for SRH940 headphones and read all the reviews of customers that say  these velour pads are great on the ATH-M50's. These pads are also made for the Shure SRH1440,,and SRH1840 headphones.
I have been using these velour cushions on my M50's for about four months and they are very good, very well made and don't really change the sound enough to notice, and are very soft. If you think they are a wee-bit loose, take a sewing needle and thread and sew around and around and around over the factory thread keeping the thread tight until you end up where you started and tie a knot, very simple and easy.
I think you  will enjoy these pads and they look as if they where made for the M50's,
i-me

May 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #304 of 441
Quote:
Anyone here tried these?
http://www.amazon.com/Auray-9081860-Deluxe-Velour-Earpads/dp/B005GC7YJ2/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

There are a couple good reviews on them from ATH-M50 users. Thinking about trying them as my stock earpads are getting crusty and flaking.
confused_face.gif

I just got those pads; although they're meant for the smaller ATH-M30, they fit the M50. They're definitely more comfortable than the stock pads and don't cause nearly as much sweat build-up. They do change the sound, for better and worse. The highs are clearer and not as peaky and the mids are brought a little more forward; however, there is a significant loss in bass quantity. 

May 27, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #305 of 441
Quote:

I just got those pads; although they're meant for the smaller ATH-M30, they fit the M50. They're definitely more comfortable than the stock pads and don't cause nearly as much sweat build-up. They do change the sound, for better and worse. The highs are clearer and not as peaky and the mids are brought a little more forward; however, there is a significant loss in bass quantity. 

More than likely, the bass loss is due to allowing more sound to leak out of the velour pads as opposed to the stock pleather pads.

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #306 of 441
Hey, just bumping this to give an alternative to some people

What I did was use speaker-freak's method & do what GN3RAL KARL did.

I bought Bilsom Cool II & stick them to my M50's like speaker-freak did:

After which I crazyed glued a spare earpads to the Bilsom Cool II like with what KARL did

This way, people have a cheap alternative & don't have to risk ruining the original M50 earpads. If you don't like the outcome, the pads are glued to the Bilsom Cool sticky pads, which comes off easy & leave no residue..
It is also reusable, buying cheap clearance headphone sets with more comfortable earpads, which usually don't fit the M50's oval design & gluing them on the sticky pads..

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #308 of 441
I tried SRH-940 velour pads on M50 and it changed the sound too much for my likings. It reduced the bass impact and it wasn't fun sounding basshead headphone that I wanted. I returned the SRH-940 pads shortly.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #309 of 441
I've got some 940 pads incoming for my M50's along with EDT 250 pads for my MDR-7506's.
I'm hoping I'll get satisfied with the results, otherwise I'll just return the pads and buy me some nice socks :)

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #310 of 441
The shure pads do reduce bass and isolation.  If you have the new m50's that might be more of a problem.  I always use the sure pads, but I mostly listen to audiobooks and podcasts on my m50's now so I don't mind.  If I used them for music a lot I'd either switch back to the original pads or use an eq.  The shure pads are pretty good with ~5khz reduced a little (on the old m50's).

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #311 of 441
i bought the beyerdynamic dt250 pads and they fit the arh m-50's perfectly
installing them was a bit of a pain because they are so snug
i have to say that with the stock pads the ath m-50's were unbearable
made my ears sweat and they were super uncomfortable i was actually going to  sell them
couldn't be happier with the upgrade

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #312 of 441
Used the Beyerdynamic DT250 pads and they are a huge comfort upgrade.  I found though that the bass did become quite "boomy" and uncomfortable to listen to for my ears.  I ended up taping the port holes at the top and bottom of each headphone and the bass became comfortable again.

The tape pattern used was OxOxOxO.

The added comfort actually made it easier for me to take the ATH-M50s off the hanger and use them more frequently.

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #314 of 441
haha - it is quite hilarious isn't it?

BTW I used gaffer's tape instead of scotch tape or electrical tape - it has a thickness and stiffness of duct tape, but doesn't leave a residue - so it's easier to experiment and remove compared to other tapes.

A little more expensive and difficult to find - you may be able to get at a camera or theatre supply store.

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #315 of 441
I found some really comfortable pads that fit the M50s perfectly and improve the sound to my tastes. I found the felt pads on my Sharkoon xtactic SX gaming headset found below and they fit perfectly. They do change the sound. My gripe with the M50s was that the mids were recessed this brings them forward a bit. They do take a bit away from the detail in the high and low ends but it works for me. They feel so good especially now in the winter, and although they keep my ears warm they do not make them sweat like the pleather ones. These also do leak a bit more sound than the stock pads. Anyone know what pads Sharkoon uses for the headsets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back