Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Jul 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #226 of 441

Quote:
I replaced my stock pads with the DT250.  I think it still sounds amazing. The soundstage and bass widened, and the mids slightly increased. And it is much more comfortable as the stock pads made me ears sweat.

do the dt250 pads fit on top of the m50 pads?

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #227 of 441

Quote:
do the dt250 pads fit on top of the m50 pads?

Doubt it, the dt250 pads are SMALLER than stock m50 ones, you need pads larger than them to fit on top of them (like the Shure ones).

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #228 of 441
Jetsfool, you remove the stock pads and foam insert and replace them with the DT250's.  It literally takes about 5mins.  I highly recommend them because the stock pads (due to sweat) were intolerable/uncomfortable to me. The DT250 pads also fit like the stock ones and I honestly don't think it negated the sound :)  

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad/

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #229 of 441

Quote:
Jetsfool, you remove the stock pads and foam insert and replace them with the DT250's.  It literally takes about 5mins.  I highly recommend them because the stock pads (due to sweat) were intolerable/uncomfortable to me. The DT250 pads also fit like the stock ones and I honestly don't think it negated the sound :)  

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad/

but how did the sound change? less bass?

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #230 of 441

Quote:
Jetsfool, you remove the stock pads and foam insert and replace them with the DT250's.  It literally takes about 5mins.

Is there any cutting or gluing involved? I'm desperately in need of a fix for the stock ear saunas, but don't want to make any changes that aren't perfectly reversible.

Just bought these and so unhappy with the earpads that if a very simple and affordable fix can't be made quickly I'm just going to return them. 

Unfortunately it looks like the Beyer velour pads are backordered at both BHPhoto and Sweetwater. :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #231 of 441

Quote:
Is there any cutting or gluing involved? I'm desperately in need of a fix for the stock ear saunas, but don't want to make any changes that aren't perfectly reversible.

Just bought these and so unhappy with the earpads that if a very simple and affordable fix can't be made quickly I'm just going to return them. 

Unfortunately it looks like the Beyer velour pads are backordered at both BHPhoto and Sweetwater. :frowning2:

No cutting or gluing involved. You just pull off the pads and the foam insert and put the DT250 pads on, there's not much more to it. I would keep looking for the DT250 velour pads because I felt the same way.

I think people are exaggerating the bass issue. I've painfully endured my ATH-M50's for 4 months with the stock pad and just switched to velours a month ago and would never return back to stock.  

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #232 of 441

Quote:
No cutting or gluing involved. You just pull off the pads and the foam insert and put the DT250 pads on, there's not much more to it. I would keep looking for the DT250 velour pads because I felt the same way.

I think people are exaggerating the bass issue. I've painfully endured my ATH-M50's for 4 months with the stock pad and just switched to velours a month ago and would never return back to stock.  

so the bass is reduced?

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #233 of 441
I guess my DT250 pads were too old or something; but I could not get them on my M50s(they've been on my MDR-V6 for quite some time).  I actually ripped the back of the pad a little and then just gave up, and ordered the 940 pads.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #234 of 441

Quote:
so the bass is reduced?

No, it's increased.  A lot.  Then say goodbye to the mids.

NuMystic, just return them.  I couldn't take the beyer pads for more than a couple minutes.  I tried them several times.  I tried to like them but they just messed up the sound too much.  If you want my full impressions/rant look back a few pages
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #236 of 441

Quote:
Did the Shure 940 on top of stock M50 pad mod. Super comfortable, sounds great.

Care to elaborate on the change (or lack of change) in sound / sound stage / etc?

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #237 of 441

Quote:
Care to elaborate on the change (or lack of change) in sound / sound stage / etc?

Well I cant say I can recommend this mod to anyone running their M50s unamped as it seems to have made the sound a bit fainter, but all I did was up the gain on my Xonar ST and I keep the volume around 50% now instead of 75% at previous gain settings. Overall, not a huge change in sound characteristics though as far as I can tell. Bass is a bit different, but I'm not expert at describing sound signatures. I thin you could describe it as being a bit tighter and less boomy. Sound stage seems a smidge larger too, but it could be placebo. Havent got to do an exhaustive before and after test yet, but I'll try to when I get home from work.

Also, I am running these basically unequalized except for a small reduction in 3-9khz. I saw your EQ in a different thread for Electri-Q and it looks great. Is there any way you could upload that EQ file or email it to me? I'd love to try it out.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #238 of 441

Quote:

Well I cant say I can recommend this mod to anyone running their M50s unamped as it seems to have made the sound a bit fainter, but all I did was up the gain on my Xonar ST and I keep the volume around 50% now instead of 75% at previous gain settings. Overall, not a huge change in sound characteristics though as far as I can tell. Bass is a bit different, but I'm not expert at describing sound signatures. I thin you could describe it as being a bit tighter and less boomy. Sound stage seems a smidge larger too, but it could be placebo. Havent got to do an exhaustive before and after test yet, but I'll try to when I get home from work.

Also, I am running these basically unequalized except for a small reduction in 3-9khz. I saw your EQ in a different thread for Electri-Q and it looks great. Is there any way you could upload that EQ file or email it to me? I'd love to try it out.

Sure;

http://ompldr.org/vOWs1dQ/EQ%20ATH-M50.e-q

Let me know what you think. (rightclick the link and save-as)

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #239 of 441

Quote:
Sure;

http://ompldr.org/vOWs1dQ/EQ%20ATH-M50.e-q

Let me know what you think. (rightclick the link and save-as)

Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. Will definitely give it a whirl when I get home. Also, a quick question about Electr-Q; what output formats will it run under. I have the VST plugin for J River and when I use wasapi it says output format not supported. Do I have to run it in ASIO?

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #240 of 441

Quote:

Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. Will definitely give it a whirl when I get home. Also, a quick question about Electr-Q; what output formats will it run under. I have the VST plugin for J River and when I use wasapi it says output format not supported. Do I have to run it in ASIO?

I have no clue, sorry. Maybe try asking at the equalizing thread..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back