Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Jun 21, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #211 of 441

Quote:
How I have it right now:

The velour 940 pads on top of the stock ones.  I sort of got this idea from Neil Peart's setup, and I had done it before by putting the old V6 pads on top of the stock ones(not permanently, but using tape just to hold it in place and pressure from the band/my head keeping it there)...I actually liked it but the V6 pads were a little too small/shallow.  The fitment is so much better with the stacked pads(I guess I have a small head?) and the bass is back.  Also, the 940 pads directly on the housing slid around a lot(as stated above, they fit loosely on there to begin with).  The signature still sounds similar to stock; I may try removing some of the cover material(I don't know the technical term; but the piece of fabric that covers the driver) and see how that works out.  Though, otherwise I'm digging this setup, at the moment.  :)

Does anyone know how the 840 pleather pads compare to the stock m50 pads?  Not sound-wise, but comfort/feel.  I like the way the Sony V6 pads feel, while the M50s just sticky/feel like plastic.

This is very interesting! How did you attach the 940 pads on top of the M50 pads?

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #212 of 441
Just slid them on top of the cushion-part of the M50 pads.  :)  They come off easily if you want to remove them or pull on them(given the surfaces of the fabrics), but there's no way they'll come off with "regular" use or freely slide around....I guess you can say there's no slack unlike simply putting the 940 pads directly on the M50 housing/driver, which results in the pads coming off in some instances.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #213 of 441

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #215 of 441
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/shure-hpaec940-headphone-pads.html?cmp=googlebase&kw=shure-hpaec940-headphone-pads&ppce=ZT1Gcm9vZ2xlJm49RnJvb2dsZStGZWVk

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #216 of 441

Quote:
Just slid them on top of the cushion-part of the M50 pads.  :)  They come off easily if you want to remove them or pull on them(given the surfaces of the fabrics), but there's no way they'll come off with "regular" use or freely slide around....I guess you can say there's no slack unlike simply putting the 940 pads directly on the M50 housing/driver, which results in the pads coming off in some instances.

I just got my Shure 840 pads today - much more comfortable after swapping them for the M50 pads for longer term wear. I then tried your technique of putting them directly over the existing M50 pads - Wow - now that's comfort!!!

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #217 of 441
anyone else tried this trick with the 940 pads on top of the existing M50 pads? Any feedback on how the sound signature is effected? I'm sue its comfortable as hell

K2 is there any way you could snap a few more pics of the cans with the 940 pads over the stock ones? Still liking the fit and sound after using it a bit?

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #221 of 441

Quote:
That was the original mod though right? Where he took theM50 pads off and replaced them with the 940 pads. The one I'm interested in is where he put the 940 pads ON TOP of the M50 pads.

oh yea, thats right didnt notice that he totally replaced the pads the first time.lol k2e2vin can you let us know how much volume and bass got reduced with the 940 pads on top of the m50 pads..

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #222 of 441
Sorry, I wasn't logged in so didn't notice this thread.

Volume didn't seem like it went down much, maybe 5-10%?  It's mainly the uppers though that seemed to be quieter.  I'm thinking the angled drivers may be attributing to this too.  Bass seem to have gone up(possibly due to the uppers being quieter)!  Definitely sounds like it goes deeper than before.  This is of course with both stock pads stacked.  I haven't tried it with the piece of cloths over the driver removed; didn't want to ruin anything and honestly, IMO they sound more balanced than the DT990 I had, while being more comfortable so I just left it like that.

Definitely still comfortable.  Feels much better than my MDR-V6(DT250 pads) and past DT990.

Is there any specific pictures you're looking for?

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #223 of 441

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't logged in so didn't notice this thread.

Volume didn't seem like it went down much, maybe 5-10%?  It's mainly the uppers though that seemed to be quieter.  I'm thinking the angled drivers may be attributing to this too.  Bass seem to have gone up(possibly due to the uppers being quieter)!  Definitely sounds like it goes deeper than before.  This is of course with both stock pads stacked.  I haven't tried it with the piece of cloths over the driver removed; didn't want to ruin anything and honestly, IMO they sound more balanced than the DT990 I had, while being more comfortable so I just left it like that.

Definitely still comfortable.  Feels much better than my MDR-V6(DT250 pads) and past DT990.

Is there any specific pictures you're looking for?

Is the midrange changed? If so, can you describe the change? That for me is the only shortcoming of the M50's sound.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #224 of 441
Cool, thanks for checking back and posting that. Think I might have to order those pads and give em a whirl.

As for pictures, I guess I was just looking for a bit more perspective on how they fit. Any way you could stick them around a stack of books or something to show how they'd look on your head? That's be sweet

edit: actually just went ahead and ordered them from the link above, should be worth it even it just just makes the cans a bit comfier 

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #225 of 441
I replaced my stock pads with the DT250.  I think it still sounds amazing. The soundstage and bass widened, and the mids slightly increased. And it is much more comfortable as the stock pads made me ears sweat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back