Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Aug 31, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #138 of 441

Quote:
Are you guys using the felt disc which comes with the velours?

Yes I believe you use them w/ the pads as a system.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #139 of 441
No I don't use it - it increases the bass.

Once you get velours involved controlling that bass becomes a major mission.

I keep thinking I have it then realise, no, it was just better than before but still not good.

I have to admit that I am getting close to giving up and buying some new pleather ones.

Will have a further mess around with internal damping in one last chance to bring the mid-bass back under control then I'm through. 
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #140 of 441
Thanks Eddie. I didn't try the beyers with the tape yet but I didn't particularly like them without. With or without the foam. They're not bad with no foam but the pleather is just so much better.

My pleathers have lasted really long, 18 months now and theyre still not dead, just a little cracky - must be less reactive to my skin or something. THinking about it now I should prob have bought another set of those than the velours, although they are more comfortable.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #141 of 441
I switched out back to the pleather pads and listened to them while I did the tape more cleanly and to be honest I did not hear much of a difference in quality from the pleather and the velour pads. Now I did notice that the bass is much stronger with the velour to which it actually feels like a pair of clippers are on my ears on certain songs but it did not mess with the sound like it did without the tape. I am using a Penguin Amp when using these headphones with the bass boost on.

I kind of went crazy with the tape. It is two layers criss cross with the tape overlapping half. So really it is like 4 layers of tape. It was easier to do with the band folded back and I could just cut away the excess.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #142 of 441
Tried the mod but I just don't think it was all that worth it IMO.
At least for me the cost of sound leaking was something I couldn't afford to do.
I also felt the velours gave you less ear space and because of that
it gave me the impression of a smaller soundstage and clarity.
However the comfort was great, but for me the pleather actually beat velour in this round.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #143 of 441
I still want to know how that picture with the gray velour pads got there.  Are they just dt770 cushions mashed in there?  I doubt it because they look like they fit snug.  I just got the dt250 cushions, and they're comfortable but definitely not the same comfy material like the 770's.  The dt770's are VERY soft.  Does anyone have a clue what pads those could be?

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #145 of 441
I'm resurrecting this thread because maybe the following info will be of help... about two months ago I ordered dt-250 velour pads for my mdr-7506 (or V6) and I noticed that the site I purchased them from (BH photo) also sells velour pads from another brand called Pearstone that fit the V6/7506.....So, maybe they would be a good fit for the M-50 as well. I love the sound of these cans (although I still don't own a pair), and it would be wonderful if there were another velour alternative. hope this is of help to someone willing to experiment. cheers
wink_face.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #146 of 441
You mean the ones in this link?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645787-REG/Pearstone_9081860.html

It says

Product Highlights

1. - For Sony MDR-7506/MDR-V6
  2. - For Audio Technica ATHM30
  3. - Velour for Comfort

Well, the ATH-M30 has drivers that are slightly smaller than the M50, 40 mm versus 45 mm which is approximately 1/5 of an inch less in diameter.  The Sonys mentioned also have 40mm drivers.   I would assume that also means the M30 cups are smaller than those on the M50.  Which would also imply that these pads are too small.

Actually, some asked this question earlier this year:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=136378

Quote:
Sales Dude McBoob                                                           Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 pm 

nuxnamon wrote:

Mr. McBoob..

do you happen to know if these fit the ATH-M50? the earpads are probably my only complaint on those cans..

After experimental surgery, the prognosis has been confirmed...

These things totally don't fit on the ATH-M50's.

Thus, we'd have to look for velour pads that fit headphones with 45mm drivers.

Quote:
I'm resurrecting this thread because maybe the following info will be of help... about two months ago I ordered dt-250 velour pads for my mdr-7506 (or V6) and I noticed that the site I purchased them from (BH photo) also sells velour pads from another brand called Pearstone that fit the V6/7506.....So, maybe they would be a good fit for the M-50 as well. I love the sound of these cans (although I still don't own a pair), and it would be wonderful if there were another velour alternative. hope this is of help to someone willing to experiment. cheers
wink_face.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #147 of 441
I've tried putting dt250 pads on my m50's before I sold them. They stayed on there for a total of about five minutes before immediately reverting to the stock leather pads. The bass was horribly exaggerated, overpowering all of the mids and highs. The comfort and un-sweatiness factor was definitely not worth the sound quality decrease.

Bassheads, however, may like it. I already thought the m50's had some extreme bass, but this mod brought it over the top.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #148 of 441
that's such a shame
angry_face.gif
. Well the quest continues to find a replacement pad for the beloved M-50 that suits us the velour fans
biggrin.gif
. I love those cans but I am holding out until such a thing can be achieved....
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #149 of 441

I have a near mint ATH-M50s that I bought from a fellow Head-Fi'er and the only real complaint I have about it is the leatherette pads.  I also like velour pads. :)

Quote:
that's such a shame
angry_face.gif
. Well the quest continues to find a replacement pad for the beloved M-50 that suits us the velour fans
biggrin.gif
. I love those cans but I am holding out until such a thing can be achieved....
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #150 of 441
My Astro A40 headset and M50 recently crossed paths and I noticed the pads on both to be almost identical in shape (1st gen headset, not sure if shape has changed since). I didn't try swapping as both cans are now on ebay and I wanted to preserve their near new condition. I found the Astro pads to be extremely comfortable on the Astro. It'd be interesting to see what it does to the M50 sound signature. You can get them HERE if someone's game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back