Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Dec 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #331 of 441
With the recently mentioned pads listed at http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=AT-135409020-VELVET is there any consensus about these pads and how they are after a week or two use? How do these hold up? Is there much change in the feel after you've worn them and the material breaks in? 

I am very tempted to get these and will be trying the sock method to help with the sweat when I dig out my coax from the basement. Based upon the limited reviews on the soundpro site it appears that these result in very minimal sound change. I am very much a novice and just got my m50 during a big sale. I appreciate any guidance on this, cheers

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #333 of 441
Well there seems to be a bit of a split. Many people used the DT250 pads and found they were comfortable, and fit fairly well, but some also found that the sound was compromised and therefore they went back to the stock pads. The consensus is that the factory pads are the best sounding. Sound professionals make replacement pads, both in pleather and velvet, but I havent heard on a follow up about how the sound professional velvet ones are after longer use and break in. I am tempted to buy them, but don't want to order them in from the US without some further feedback on them. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #335 of 441
I would not at all call myself an audiophile (yet), but I ordered and installed the ATH-M50 velvet/velour pads from the Sound Professionals (Amazon link here: http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Professionals-ATH-M50-PADS-VELVET-One-Pair/dp/B00F2ZM6CS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387650654&sr=1-2&keywords=ath+m50+velour) and I honestly don't notice a huge difference sound-quality wise between the velour and pleather pads. I am using an unamped Samsung Galaxy S3 with Poweramp and tweaked EQ settings, and about the only thing that I did was boost the bass slightly after installing the velour pads and I am very happy with the sound.

Keep in mind that I am not necessarily a basshead. I like bass, but I want it to be just right, not way over the top or too understated. I will also say that in my opinion even if the sound did change slightly, the comfort factor makes it worth switching to velour for sure.

Again, I am not an audiophile, but hopefully this helps a few people out who are on the fence about buying a pair.

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #336 of 441
  I would not at all call myself an audiophile (yet), but I ordered and installed the ATH-M50 velvet/velour pads from the Sound Professionals

Keep in mind that I am not necessarily a basshead. I like bass, but I want it to be just right, not way over the top or too understated. I will also say that in my opinion even if the sound did change slightly, the comfort factor makes it worth switching to velour for sure.

Again, I am not an audiophile, but hopefully this helps a few people out who are on the fence about buying a pair.

Sound Professionals seems to be a reasonable option. Their prices are not bad for the cable mod either. Of course, you miss out on the satisfaction and some excitement of DIY.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #337 of 441
Picked up a set of the velvet pads myself from Sound Professionals. One week in, I have not noticed any distinct changes in sound from the stock pads. Very, very satisfied with my purchase.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #338 of 441
I didn't realize AT made an M45 also. I think it is the M40 with a field serviceable cable. It has the smaller 40mm drivers.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audio-technica-ath-m45-studio-monitor-headphones-black

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #340 of 441
so many of you have found that the sound remains roughly the same, how is the comfort on them? Esp after longer sessions/frequent use? If i was in the states I would grab em np, but cost doubles to get them sent here in canada

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #341 of 441
Can other chip in? Do the Sound Professional Velour pads change the sound signature of the cans? I do not want to lose bass. I am also canadian so its quite pricy. My OEM pads are all hard now :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #345 of 441
Her bar1. Since you had the pads for a while now, which ones do you prefer the shure 940 or the sound professionals?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply. Have been on vacation...
I don't have the shure pads. The pads from sound professionals still sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back