VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Dec 4, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #2,582 of 3,324
Received the Zen 2.0 today. Looks, cable and the L shape plug indeed an upgrade over Zen 1.0.

At this moment, I still prefer the Zen 1.0 with HieGi donut foams over the Zen2.0 naked, with donut foams or with the included silicon cover. I find the Zen1.0 to have deeper bass and more energetic highs, overall a more balance sound signature. Zen 2.0 is very dependent on fit but so far I can conclude that it has more mid bass then the Zen 1.0. 

These are just initial impressions with no burn in. Hopefully it will start to open up after burn in. But I think finding the right cover for the Zen 2.0 and getting a correct fit is more important then anything else. Listening the Zen2.0 naked just feels a little weird for me as it feels like the earbud is about to fall off from my ears and there is also less bass. But of course the highs will be more energetic when listening to it naked.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #2,583 of 3,324
I think if one has to use covers on the Zen 2.0, the best type would be a thin cover that does not obstruct the back coverings and all the front holes. When placed on the ear it should not fit too tight or else the overall sound will be muddy and also not too loose or you will get less bass.  

Anyone found a cover like this? I tried cutting the fins off the included silicon cover. The sound is better then the donut foams, but I still loose a lot of the highs and the bass is muddy. Currently I think the best configuration is listening to it naked.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #2,584 of 3,324
I do my listening without any covers as well. Too much bass for my liking with the red donuts 

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #2,588 of 3,324

The above option works well as long as you don't position the ring too far back such that the back ports are covered (you want to keep them uncovered).

And as nmatheis alluded to, the rings really help hold the zens in the ear. When I pull them out of my ears, it's sometimes a bit of a stuggle to get them out lol.

I might just try cutting the fins option then!

Aliexpress

I'm assuming this is the listing? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rubber-ring-for-earbuds-15mm-16mm-MX980-MX985-OMX985-MX880/32324321353.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_0,searchweb201560_6

The price is a little bit steep for a pair of rubber rings (at least to me).

If you have bought the 1.0 new, then u would have noticed that burning-in makes a huge improvement.

I tell people 10 hours for the monk, cuz in 10 hours , the monk will sound more than its price tag at least ( which is not hard ,given it is a only 5usd )

but they all share the same design, which will take 300+ at least to sounds at its best, one of my fans in China , claim(though i can't verify) that his zen 1.0 was at its best around 1500hs , but I think that is a bit extreme.

but without really powerful amp like our Enterprise, OOB , they all sound "off"

Cheers

Lee

p.s. 2.0 should not be used with any foams , it was designed that way to retain the most information. 

Thanks! I'll make another impressions when I'm ready with them again!

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2,589 of 3,324
Jesus christ, with the earhoox rubber rims, on this one song, the earbud is actually vibrating from the sub bass! 
eek.gif

eek.gif

Seriously, I am feeling the Zen 2 vibrate from the sub bass. Thats why I feel the ring is the best for getting the most out of the Zen 2. To me the ring improves the soundstage and best the most. Both in terms of definition and balance. 

In the above song, I can really hear the texture of the bass which is deep in the mix. Naked Zen 2.0 loses all of the definition due to a poor seal. 

I will still assert, a ring is paramount in getting the best sound out of the Zen 2.0

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #2,590 of 3,324
  Jesus christ, with the earhoox rubber rims, on this one song, the earbud is actually vibrating from the sub bass! 
eek.gif

eek.gif

Seriously, I am feeling the Zen 2 vibrate from the sub bass. Thats why I feel the ring is the best for getting the most out of the Zen 2. To me the ring improves the soundstage and best the most. Both in terms of definition and balance. 

In the above song, I can really hear the texture of the bass which is deep in the mix. Naked Zen 2.0 loses all of the definition due to a poor seal. 

I will still assert, a ring is paramount in getting the best sound out of the Zen 2.0

You know where I get my BEST sub-bass from?  These Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs that I've been using, bro :wink:

That being said, that's pretty awesome that an earbud is apparently able to produce bass like that.  On the other hand, the actual PHYSICAL SENSATION OF THE HOUSINGS VIBRATING can often be indicative of some type of THD or IMD, soooo.  . . . . . . . just saying.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,591 of 3,324
  You know where I get my BEST sub-bass from?  These Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs that I've been using, bro :wink:

That being said, that's pretty awesome that an earbud is apparently able to produce bass like that.  On the other hand, the actual PHYSICAL SENSATION OF THE HOUSINGS VIBRATING can often be indicative of some type of THD or IMD, soooo.  . . . . . . . just saying.

No its not distortion since its this one song, and its only a sense of vibration since the sub bass comes through so clearly. Its how strongly its being transmitting that I can feel it viscerally 

The alpha dogs have pretty splashy treble no?

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,593 of 3,324
I used my earhoox wth Zen 2.0 for the last 3 days, and I found them very good, but finally after some discomfort, I tried them back naked, and they sounds excellent. The problem of using earhoox is that I confirm, should cover vent holes too much behind the grid.

I'm now at ~260 hours of burning, and I confirm everything Lee says, 2.0 needs to be listened naked, driven correctly, on an excellent source, and needs to be burned at least for 200 hours minimum to sound his best.
I found them a bit annoying still at 100 hours of burning, so I had to put and try earhoox with them, but now naked, they sounds amazing to me. I will anyway continue burning them untill 1000 hours.
My 2.0 pair has been burned (and continues to burn) as the following following : at least 150 hours of pinknoise and whitenoise in boucle at med/high volume, and after that, listening to various streaming radios at 320kbps (mainly some musics that punch a lot like electronic music, and jazz, etc, the more you listen all variety of musics which hits most frequencies, the more it will give a better result).

My only cons about 2.0 is maybe the lack of sub-bass (when listening to naked, but depends of each kind of persons I guess)
I find 2.0 sound very balanced to my ears. Excellent product.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #2,594 of 3,324
I think the Zen2.0 need whatever works for one's ears :) I use Brepps silicone rings and thin foams on top. There are thicker/thinner foams. Especially when out in the real world and also for the sub bass reach, I don't think I'll ever use them totally naked any more. Of course ears and gear signature apply
beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #2,595 of 3,324
My Zen 2.0 finally arrived! 
biggrin.gif
 Been waiting for a month and cant wait to open them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back