VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Dec 3, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #2,566 of 3,324

Thanks!  This is what I was after.  Now I can go see if I can simulate it a little better.  Going to see if I can find a flat round rubber "washer" that will fit.

I do think a narrower ring might better reproduce what I was hearing. I do concur that pushing back the ring so it covers the back, definitely makes it mid forward for me, killing the bass. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #2,567 of 3,324
First impressions of the Zen 2.0:

I do not have the original Zens to directly compare.

Build quality of the housing and cable is a lot more satisfying on the 2.0. I also like the right angle jack that they've implemented but I think I would have liked to see the chin slider again though it isn't a huge deal.

Onto sound impressions (Donut Foams):

Sounds a lot more relaxed than the original Zen. This is good for those "pop them in and chill" moments, but lack a bit of energy and overall clarity when it comes to more energetic genres of music say like Punk Rock. 

The bass seems to have more impact than the original Zens, reminds me a bit of the HD600 in overall signature, but a touch less clear sounding. Vocals sound a bit too pushed back and muffled for my liking. Say maybe like the HD600 but a 4 or 5 db decrease in the upper vocals. Treble seems more polite than the original Zens, but remains clear and non-metallic sounding. 

All in all, I think I prefer the more energetic original Zen in overall sound signature but these aren't bad either.

Take my impressions with a grain of salt: there's a reason why I only did one review and not anymore than that and that reason is because I'm not exactly good at nailing down what I'm hearing. I also have not burned them in (unless if Lee does that beforehand).

Running them out of the ifi Nano iDSD

I'm planning on cutting the earhooks or however it was done. I didn't read up much about them but are they like a night and day difference between the foams?

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #2,569 of 3,324
Did you try without foamies @Feilong4? As @Brooko's measurements showed, listening to these naked reduces bloat and increases energy
wink_face.gif

I just did and they do sound a lot cleaner but the thing is, I don't like how they feel like they'll fall out of my ears and whenever I move I have to readjust them back into position.

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #2,571 of 3,324
Rubber / silicone rings to the rescue!!!

Let us know how it works out for you
L3000.gif

Are those the earhooks that are included but cutting of the fins?

Ohp never mind, I clicked a few pages back and saw an Aliexpress link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rubber-ring-for-earbuds-15mm-16mm-MX980-MX985-OMX985-MX880/32324321353.html

Are these the ones?

Edit: Wait 6.50 USD for a pair of rubber rings? Erm, can someone link a more cheaper listing?

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,573 of 3,324
http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a230r.1.14.53.KoVTad&id=37863152784&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

Thanks!

Which option do I choose though? Top left, top right, or bottom left (in the red box)?

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #2,577 of 3,324
it is simply the number of rings and, in addition foams

Do you know if there's another website that sell these? I can't read anything so I can't even get passed registration haha.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #2,579 of 3,324
  Are those the earhooks that are included but cutting of the fins?

The above option works well as long as you don't position the ring too far back such that the back ports are covered (you want to keep them uncovered).

And as nmatheis alluded to, the rings really help hold the zens in the ear. When I pull them out of my ears, it's sometimes a bit of a stuggle to get them out lol.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #2,580 of 3,324
  First impressions of the Zen 2.0:

I do not have the original Zens to directly compare.

Build quality of the housing and cable is a lot more satisfying on the 2.0. I also like the right angle jack that they've implemented but I think I would have liked to see the chin slider again though it isn't a huge deal.

Onto sound impressions (Donut Foams):

Sounds a lot more relaxed than the original Zen. This is good for those "pop them in and chill" moments, but lack a bit of energy and overall clarity when it comes to more energetic genres of music say like Punk Rock. 

The bass seems to have more impact than the original Zens, reminds me a bit of the HD600 in overall signature, but a touch less clear sounding. Vocals sound a bit too pushed back and muffled for my liking. Say maybe like the HD600 but a 4 or 5 db decrease in the upper vocals. Treble seems more polite than the original Zens, but remains clear and non-metallic sounding. 

All in all, I think I prefer the more energetic original Zen in overall sound signature but these aren't bad either.

Take my impressions with a grain of salt: there's a reason why I only did one review and not anymore than that and that reason is because I'm not exactly good at nailing down what I'm hearing. I also have not burned them in (unless if Lee does that beforehand).

Running them out of the ifi Nano iDSD

I'm planning on cutting the earhooks or however it was done. I didn't read up much about them but are they like a night and day difference between the foams?

If you have bought the 1.0 new, then u would have noticed that burning-in makes a huge improvement.

I tell people 10 hours for the monk, cuz in 10 hours , the monk will sound more than its price tag at least ( which is not hard ,given it is a only 5usd )

but they all share the same design, which will take 300+ at least to sounds at its best, one of my fans in China , claim(though i can't verify) that his zen 1.0 was at its best around 1500hs , but I think that is a bit extreme.

but without really powerful amp like our Enterprise, OOB , they all sound "off"

Cheers

Lee

p.s. 2.0 should not be used with any foams , it was designed that way to retain the most information. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back