VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Sep 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,458 of 3,324
is it a night and day difference for both amped and unamped? i want the setup to be as portable as possible just like having a concert within my pocket not within my bag while on the move. has anybody found yet the best and powerful DAP for the Zen without the need for an amp? I know it's needed because of the high ohm requirement but maybe there's something out there...just maybe. thanks nmatheis.

The Pono, though not exactly pocket friendly, drives the Zen very well, exceptionally well if you go balanced (Lee can get the Zens changed to Pono-balanced for you if you ask). This is my rig at the office and on the road...and at home when no one else wants to hear what I am listening to :).

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,459 of 3,324
thanks golov and fleas for your inputs. Actually, the Zen is on its way. I will check tomorrow if I have it in the mailbox but I will be listening to the Zen out of the Studio V3. I will compare the Zen against the BE7 that I already have and share with you later. Hope the Studio is sufficient enough to drive the Zen with flying colors. It's an outdated player but let's see how it fares with the beast. :D

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,460 of 3,324
is it a night and day difference for both amped and unamped? i want the setup to be as portable as possible just like having a concert within my pocket not within my bag while on the move. has anybody found yet the best and powerful DAP for the Zen without the need for an amp? I know it's needed because of the high ohm requirement but maybe there's something out there...just maybe. thanks nmatheis.

RA + Zen is a very clear and audible improvement over the DX90 & X5 to my ears. I don't usually listen to earbuds on the go, instead I usually listen to IEM like Duke on the go. Even though Duke are much easier to drive, they also benefit very clearly from RA. So, my typical strategy is to use the DAP naked and have good (but not great) sound when walking around without my bag and switch back to the amp once back home or at the office. My alternate strategy is to use a small shoulder bag to carry the stack and get great sound.

Not sure about other DAPs + Zen. Cayin N6 sounded good with Zen, but I didn't have RA to compare with when I auditioned N6 for a week. It's big, hot, and a bit clumsy. Just as well going for a stack :wink:

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,461 of 3,324
thanks golov and fleas for your inputs. Actually, the Zen is on its way. I will check tomorrow if I have it in the mailbox but I will be listening to the Zen out of the Studio V3. I will compare the Zen against the BE7 that I already have and share with you later. Hope the Studio is sufficient enough to drive the Zen with flying colors. It's an outdated player but let's see how it fares with the beast. :D
This good :ok_hand:

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,462 of 3,324
thanks golov and fleas for your inputs. Actually, the Zen is on its way. I will check tomorrow if I have it in the mailbox but I will be listening to the Zen out of the Studio V3. I will compare the Zen against the BE7 that I already have and share with you later. Hope the Studio is sufficient enough to drive the Zen with flying colors. It's an outdated player but let's see how it fares with the beast.
biggrin.gif

I don't know from personal experience, but I hear the Studio has a kickarse amp section. You might be good to go :).

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,463 of 3,324
does the Zen needs an initial burn-in time before sounding at its best or will it sound the same from first listen? I might let it run for an hour or two together with the Monk before I plug them to my ears.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,464 of 3,324
does the Zen needs an initial burn-in time before sounding at its best or will it sound the same from first listen? I might let it run for an hour or two together with the Monk before I plug them to my ears.

If it were me, I'd run pink noise at a moderate volume overnight for a week if you're worried about burnin.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,465 of 3,324

The change was subtle, but I did notice a difference with burn-in...my first pair were unbalanced, I used them...ALOT...for a couple of months, and then sent them off. They were replaced by a new pair, Pono-balanced, and I could tell I needed to start again :).

My advice, follow the Grado burn-in method..."...just use them as you normally would." for optimum effect.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,466 of 3,324
i don't worry at all. let's see if this will make me smile at first listen. :D

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,469 of 3,324
I can't believe how good the Zen sounds out of the Geek Out V2. I bet it will sound even better with line out to RA. Bigger soundstage. Much more detailed and bass is much tighter and controlled with good decay.

I am in heaven. Been listening to the Zen nonstop since getting the V2 today :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back