VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Sep 9, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,441 of 3,324
Sep 9, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #1,442 of 3,324
  I understand that Asura is globally a better earbud than Monk, more detailed and refined, but if I’m after a pure happy and funny sound with great extension in both ends, especially with deep and punchy bass (I’ll mostly listen with them only Uplifting Trance and Hands Up music, that is fast EDM) will still the Asura give me more of what I'm looking for than Monk?

I’ll pair them with a FiiO X3 II (using a custom V shaped Eq)

Thanks

If you hadn't put fast in there, I'd say just go for the Monk and enjoy the extra $$ in your pockets. However, Asura will keep up with fast music better than Monk - especially in the bass department. No doubt, Monk is an awesome earbud, especially for the price, but I think you'll enjoy Asura more for the music you enjoy.

An anecdote: My twenty-something son listens to a lot of hard bop jazz, and just loved the Monk. He chose it over much, much more expensive earbuds and IEM. He used to play jazz trombone in high school and said Monk's presentation reminded him of that small jazz club experience - intimate, smooth. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's what you're after.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #1,444 of 3,324
Can you describe what you're looking for @ForceMajeure?

Monk are more bass-enhanced than the others (but not overly so) and have less prominent upper end. I think this was intentional to balance out the fact that it was designed to be used with crappy smartphones and low-quality mp3's. So, if you use it as intended, it sounds clearer. If you use it with a better source and with better files, it's going to show the coloration from its tuning more. Does that make sense?

A suggestion earlier in the thread was to pair Monk with impedance adapters to tighten up the sound - reduce bass and boost highs. A 75 Ohm adapter was discussed. I have a couple impedance adapters laying around. I'll try them out later and report back.

Why do I mention that? I think it might be the best way to increase Monk's usefulness. Use as-is with your crappy smartphone. Use with impedance adapter with DAP.
beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,445 of 3,324
Well my blox m2c left driver gave up (left driver is dead not cable issue), I am looking for a m2c with a bit more bass but not muffling...
I use buds when I want environmental awareness. I use them with a clipzip so output impedance shouldn't be a problem.  

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #1,446 of 3,324
  Well my blox m2c left driver gave up (left driver is dead not cable issue), I am looking for a m2c with a bit more bass but not muffling...
I use buds when I want environmental awareness. I use them with a clipzip so output impedance shouldn't be a problem.  

Gotcha. So I just happen to have Blox M2C sitting right here along with the rest of my earbud collection. So, flipping back and forth between Monk, M2C, and Asura... I honestly think think you'd be happier with Asura. M2C are nice, but Asura have more bass. It's also tighter and cleaner than Monk's bass.

However as I mentioned earlier tonight, Monk's presentation is more intimate, relaxed and smoother. If that's your gig, go with Monk.

If you want something more spacious, energetic, and tighter, then go for Asura.

Hell, why not buy Asura and Monk. Monk only adds on $5 more and is definitely worth more than that sound-wise. If you prefer it to Asura, sell the Asura. 

Or you can make @mochill happy and "go big, or go home" and buy the Zen for a more end-game ear bud 
wink_face.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #1,451 of 3,324
If you hadn't put fast in there, I'd say just go for the Monk and enjoy the extra $$ in your pockets. However, Asura will keep up with fast music better than Monk - especially in the bass department. No doubt, Monk is an awesome earbud, especially for the price, but I think you'll enjoy Asura more for the music you enjoy.

An anecdote: My twenty-something son listens to a lot of hard bop jazz, and just loved the Monk. He chose it over much, much more expensive earbuds and IEM. He used to play jazz trombone in high school and said Monk's presentation reminded him of that small jazz club experience - intimate, smooth. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's what you're after.

Lots of thanks for your detailed reply... It seems that then Asura should be my option, but as you said for 5 dollars more I could get the Monks as a backup.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,453 of 3,324
the answer may be somewhere in this thread. how's the Zen with the DX90/x5ii ampless?how's the synergy?will the combo need to be amped?i'm looking at those two DAPs currently.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,454 of 3,324
the answer may be somewhere in this thread. how's the Zen with the DX90/x5ii ampless?how's the synergy?will the combo need to be amped?i'm looking at those two DAPs currently.

I've got X5 and DX90. Zen is good with both. It's just fine amped with Fiio E12A & E12 DIY (OPA627).

BUT it's great with RUNABOUT. I have to say, VE did find a special synergy with this combination. The sense of dynamics and space are improved vs. X5 and DX90.

I auditioned X5ii for a week as part of the North American tour, and based on my memory I'd say it would also sound good but RA would take Zen to the next level.
:beerchug:

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,455 of 3,324
is it a night and day difference for both amped and unamped? i want the setup to be as portable as possible just like having a concert within my pocket not within my bag while on the move. has anybody found yet the best and powerful DAP for the Zen without the need for an amp? I know it's needed because of the high ohm requirement but maybe there's something out there...just maybe. thanks nmatheis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back