Vali 2 tube rolling
Feb 2, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,786 of 6,436

Just got my mouse ears Tung-Sol 6SN7GT yesterday and got it fired up this morning. UNBELIEVABLE sound difference with this tube. Lush, wide soundstage. Guitars sound amazing. Bass fat and easy. Highs pulled back right where I like em. Pulled back so perfectly that I don’t need any EQ on on my FiiO X3ii (usually I need the 7k rolled back),
Glad you like the tube. Another satisfied customer. :smile_phones:

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,787 of 6,436

Just got my mouse ears Tung-Sol 6SN7GT yesterday and got it fired up this morning. UNBELIEVABLE sound difference with this tube. Lush, wide soundstage. Guitars sound amazing. Bass fat and easy. Highs pulled back right where I like em. Pulled back so perfectly that I don’t need any EQ on my FiiO X3ii (usually I need the 7k rolled back),

I am listening to a Tall Boy three hole from the same lady that sold me the Mouse-ears, and I think those Tung-sols were fine sounding tubes on their own, with or without the round micas

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,788 of 6,436
Got a lot of tipps from this thread - thanks everyone. Running my vali 2 with an electro harmonix 6CG7 currently and am very happy with it. Nice stage, great resolution.

I'd still like to add a little more air and resolution high up - I'll probably give these 6sn7 a try - looks like many of you are happy with it...

Out of curiosity - any classical music lovers with a particular recommendation?

Currently running a beyer dt770 80 ohm with the vali . Source is mostly an aries mini / mx-dac combination.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,789 of 6,436
Got a lot of tipps from this thread - thanks everyone. Running my vali 2 with an electro harmonix 6CG7 currently and am very happy with it. Nice stage, great resolution.

I'd still like to add a little more air and resolution high up - I'll probably give these 6sn7 a try - looks like many of you are happy with it...

Currently running a beyer dt770 80 ohm with the vali . Source is mostly an aries mini / mx-dac combination.

I don't know if people are doing it much on the Vali, but over on the Lyr thread, people love the 12AX7or 12AU7 tube type. Needs an adapter, but supposedly has great sonic properties. A lot smaller than the 6SN7 -- basically the same size as a 6922, maybe a tad bigger.

On another note, I have some barely used/unused tubes I want to pass on. If there is any interest Electro Harmonix 12AX7s, Herleen Holland 1963 6DJ8s or even someone who might want to try Telefunken or a Simens ECC84 (requires a cheap adapter) I have those as well. I'd rather let them go to yall then deal with the eBay hassle and sell for inflated prices etc :)

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,790 of 6,436

I'd recommend the Tung-Sol 6sn7gt "mouse ears" vintage tube. I tried the 12au7/12ax7 route but they simply don't compare. Earlier posts on this thread will give you more information.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #1,791 of 6,436
On another note, I have some barely used/unused tubes I want to pass on. If there is any interest Electro Harmonix 12AX7s, Herleen Holland 1963 6DJ8s or even someone who might want to try Telefunken or a Simens ECC84 (requires a cheap adapter) I have those as well. I'd rather let them go to yall then deal with the eBay hassle and sell for inflated prices etc :)
Thanks for the offer! I'm in Germany though -makes this rather impractical unfortunately.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #1,792 of 6,436
I'd recommend the Tung-Sol 6sn7gt "mouse ears" vintage tube. I tried the 12au7/12ax7 route but they simply don't compare. Earlier posts on this thread will give you more information.
I'll be reading up on them! I'm debating getting a Saga Preamp as my next upgrade, so another use case for them in the future. They seem rather scarce though, right?

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,794 of 6,436
I'll be reading up on them! I'm debating getting a Saga Preamp as my next upgrade, so another use case for them in the future. They seem rather scarce though, right?
I saw a pair go for $44.90 USD on ebay. Also on audiotubes.com for $45 USD each. They used to be plentiful but not so much anymore. Keep your eyes open for them, they do pop up.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,796 of 6,436
07C6EC82-A488-4400-ACAE-851F1B4B31A9.jpeg
494A8E35-1089-438A-B773-7BE443BEA4DE.jpeg
What’s the difference between the gold pinned China made socket savers on eBay vs the silver pin socket savers from TubeDepot.com? The gold pin ones I bought on eBay have pins that shake. The silver pin one from Tube Depot has nice tight pins. Does that make a difference? Here’s a couple pics of the two. The socket on the top is the gold pin one from eBay, the bottom is the silver pin one from Tube Depot.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,797 of 6,436
What’s the difference between the gold pinned China made socket savers on eBay vs the silver pin socket savers from TubeDepot.com? The gold pin ones I bought on eBay have pins that shake. The silver pin one from Tube Depot has nice tight pins. Does that make a difference? Here’s a couple pics of the two. The socket on the top is the gold pin one from eBay, the bottom is the silver pin one from Tube Depot.

We might be surprised that they both come from the same factory in China. Loose pins? I have not found this in the four-socket savers I have, and unless it is really loose, it should not be a problem. I have noted that the 9-pins seem made longer than the sockets they will be inserted, leaving a small gap of exposed pins...which seems consistent in both gold and silver (which may well be brass and steel) versions, making me think they are from the same source. If they work, then it is all good.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,798 of 6,436
Interesting, I have both and neither shake. Must be a different run. If the connection is tight with the tube in it there should be no difference. Otherwise I'd use the silver pin.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,799 of 6,436
Interesting, I have both and neither shake. Must be a different run. If the connection is tight with the tube in it there should be no difference. Otherwise I'd use the silver pin.
The connection’s pretty tight with the gold but wicked tight with the steel one. I also feel like the gold one sounds a little louder in the left channel. The steel one seems balanced and the bass is better. Weird.

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,800 of 6,436
The connection’s pretty tight with the gold but wicked tight with the steel one. I also feel like the gold one sounds a little louder in the left channel. The steel one seems balanced and the bass is better. Weird.
The ebay adapters I have seem to have smaller pins (gold plated) too. Using two adapters to run a 6sn7 is a little wobbly. I would expect an adapter from Tube Mongers or G1217 would use pins that are the same as an actual tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back