Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,771 of 6,436
My Vali sprouted a big tube tonight as well as I just got a Tung-Sol 6SN7 (new one, not NOS) from Vivatubes and added to the waiting adapter and tube saver I got from Ebay. It does look strange, but works.

As for the sound, it is very detailed with a large sound stage. However, it is on the bright side, especially paired with my DT990s. I'm hoping it gets warmer as it burns in.

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #1,772 of 6,436
My Vali sprouted a big tube tonight as well as I just got a Tung-Sol 6SN7 (new one, not NOS) from Vivatubes and added to the waiting adapter and tube saver I got from Ebay. It does look strange, but works.

As for the sound, it is very detailed with a large sound stage. However, it is on the bright side, especially paired with my DT990s. I'm hoping it gets warmer as it burns in.
Welcome to the wonderful world of tube rolling. If you want something warmer, a vintage 6sn7 should do the trick.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #1,773 of 6,436

This is getting ridiculous thanks to Tube Depot. Socket Saver + 6SN7 to 6922 Adapter + JJ 6SN7. Looks dumb as all hell, but oh lord does it sound beautiful! Steely Dan with Babylon Sisters is buttery smooth, and this is out of the box, barely an hour of running. The detail, the warmth, the clarity, just gorgeous. HAHA, just noticed in the pic, the tube in the top left is the Japanese Mullard which I also love. As of right now, it is 2nd to this beast. Everytime I look at my damn Vali all I do is laugh.

It is a beautiful sight!

Welcome to the wonderful world of tube rolling. If you want something warmer, a vintage 6sn7 should do the trick.

...documenting, documenting, documenting. Alright, then. I have a short-list shopping list. And some glamour shots too! Nice.

Feb 2, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,774 of 6,436

Attachments

• 20190202_152658.jpg
    20190202_152658.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #1,776 of 6,436
Finally.

Is the gap between the socket saver and the adapter on purpose?

Edit: uploading file don't seems to work with my mobile phone so there's a link : http://imgur.com/X0vdcum

Thank you for the image, @Nastrahl ...here's the image the OP was referring to...
users-attempt-vali-bigtube-feb02.jpg
Re: translucent tape on those glaring white LEDs. I like the soft (but tiny) incandescent glow of my Vali's stock tube, so I went the bits-of-black-electrical tape route. Re: exposed pins. Thanks for the head's up, @Keno18 ... If that happens to me when I eventually fart around with larger (and more pyrotechnically pleasing?) tubes, I might wrap some electrical tape to cover the exposed copper. Meh, we'll see. :ksc75smile:

Feb 2, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #1,777 of 6,436
LightDims silver edition are cheap and match the aluminum cases of Schiit gear very well. They reduce the glare from the LED's about 85% so no longer a bother but you can tell the unit is on. Schiit seems to have toned down the LEDs somewhat now, I don't feel the need to cover up the LEDs on my Yggy but that LED on the Vali 2 was blinding.

Feb 2, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,778 of 6,436
Thank you for the image, @Nastrahl ...here's the image the OP was referring to...

Re: translucent tape on those glaring white LEDs. I like the soft (but tiny) incandescent glow of my Vali's stock tube, so I went the bits-of-black-electrical tape route. Re: exposed pins. Thanks for the head's up, @Keno18 ... If that happens to me when I eventually fart around with larger (and more pyrotechnically pleasing?) tubes, I might wrap some electrical tape to cover the exposed copper. Meh, we'll see. :ksc75smile:
I was too cheap to buy the ones they sell, but any poly silver package material like potato chip bag and clear tape will do the same thing. just cut small squares and tape them over the Bright Lights of Schiit-way

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #1,779 of 6,436
It's just the way the adapter is designed.

Pretty much every adapter - those from ebay or g1217 - I've seen has that gap. I'm not really sure why. I suppose if you were so inclined you could cut/sand the pins to close the gap. Or you could just keep resisting the temptation to start sticking a paperclip in there - you know, just to see what happens. If you don't trust yourself to not start sticking paperclips in there, then a quick wrap of electrical tape or heatshrink should save you from cartoonish disaster

Those LEDs are the one thing I do hate about Schiit amps. Seriously, the glowing of the tube isn't enough of a sign the amp is powered on. You absolutely need to have a death ray LED. I cracked my amp open and coated the LED with a black paint pen, that way the light doesn't bleed inside the amp too. Another great idea that was suggested to me was to put a potentiometer on one of the LED legs. Then you can adjust the amount of light you want to put up with

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,780 of 6,436
Technically, those tubes do fit the Vali2 socket - being 9 pin and all. They are wired differently however - IIRC it's just the heaters on different pins, so you'll need to use an adapter
Or you could just do this:
10081204.jpg

ROFL!!!!! The sight of that just makes me want to....do it myself. I'd probably go with longer wires though, just 'cause. :laughing:

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,781 of 6,436
ROFL!!!!! The sight of that just makes me want to....do it myself. I'd probably go with longer wires though, just 'cause. :laughing:

That's a pic from Jeremy (g1217) when he was doing pin tests for the 5670 adapter
Its totally awesome. It'd be even awesomer with dual 6j5s

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,782 of 6,436
Feb 2, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #1,783 of 6,436

I just received three 6SN7GTB Tung-sol (Made in the USA) from a vendor on eBay, so there are still good values for vintage tubes. You now know that a 6SN7 is different sounding tube than stock--welcome to rolling!

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #1,784 of 6,436
Pretty much every adapter - those from ebay or g1217 - I've seen has that gap. I'm not really sure why. I suppose if you were so inclined you could cut/sand the pins to close the gap. Or you could just keep resisting the temptation to start sticking a paperclip in there - you know, just to see what happens. If you don't trust yourself to not start sticking paperclips in there, then a quick wrap of electrical tape or heatshrink should save you from cartoonish disaster

Those LEDs are the one thing I do hate about Schiit amps. Seriously, the glowing of the tube isn't enough of a sign the amp is powered on. You absolutely need to have a death ray LED. I cracked my amp open and coated the LED with a black paint pen, that way the light doesn't bleed inside the amp too. Another great idea that was suggested to me was to put a potentiometer on one of the LED legs. Then you can adjust the amount of light you want to put up with

Those lights are seriously annoying. I agree. I didn’t try it back when I had a Vali 2, but on my Lyr 2 (still pretty bright) I took the previous owners advice and used a skinny pointy implement to push the LED back in to the housing. It is now recessed about 1-2mm. This cut down on the forward thrown light significantly.

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #1,785 of 6,436
7A219ACF-9C41-40F8-896A-0B32605037B1.jpeg
@Grado Diesel: The Tung-Sol 6sn7gt "mouse ears" is a good option for a warm tube and is usually highly rated. Ebay has them again for $20-$25 plus shipping. The adapter and socket saver is back in stock on tubedepot.com.

Just got my mouse ears Tung-Sol 6SN7GT yesterday and got it fired up this morning. UNBELIEVABLE sound difference with this tube. Lush, wide soundstage. Guitars sound amazing. Bass fat and easy. Highs pulled back right where I like em. Pulled back so perfectly that I don’t need any EQ on on my FiiO X3ii (usually I need the 7k rolled back),

Users who are viewing this thread

Back