Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 19, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,741 of 6,436
I tried some Philips and Matsu PCC88's in my big rig amp, but never tried them in the Vali 2. They sounded good, but not as good as the Amperex 6922's they replaced to my ears. Of course, different component, different preferences and all that apply.

Jan 20, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,742 of 6,436
If the channel imbalance has occurred recently but didn't exist earlier it could be the tube if there has been a significant drop in emission in one of the triodes. Only way to know that for sure is to test the tube.

I don't know what TubeDepot is referring to with the high gain option. If they are simply selecting tubes with higher GM or emissions (relative to other like tubes), then it isn't going to make one iota of difference in the sound and is, quite frankly, a pile of marketing BS. Perhaps there is something else they are referring to, but I'd love to know what it is. The important thing with the Vali 2 is to have good GM balance between the triodes, and I wouldn't pay extra for anything beyond that.

In my opinion the EH 6922 isn't a very good sounding tube to begin with, so almost anything you replace it with will sound better. :slight_smile: The TungSol 6SN7 will require an adapter (and probably a socket saver) if you're willing to do that, otherwise there are lots of alternatives in the 6922/6DJ8 family that can sound very good.

Thanks for your advices!

The EH 6922 was recommended a lot everywhere I put my eyes on the Internet for the ones wanting to roll without any adaptater or socket saver so I wanted to give it a try since it's a cheap invesment, and I was quite satisfied.

It probably happened when I moved even if I took the tube off the Vali 2 before; I don't know.

I'll take it as a sign that I should roll. :wink:

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,743 of 6,436
Thanks for your advices!

The EH 6922 was recommended a lot everywhere I put my eyes on the Internet for the ones wanting to roll without any adaptater or socket saver so I wanted to give it a try since it's a cheap invesment, and I was quite satisfied.

It probably happened when I moved even if I took the tube off the Vali 2 before; I don't know.

I'll take it as a sign that I should roll. :wink:

Buying a Vali 2 is all the sign you need to roll. :grin: :grinning:

Please note that my criticism of the EH is based on my personal tastes and preferences and the rest of my system and 'phones. All of that comes into play with any tube. To their credit the EH's are inexpensive, last a long time and tend to be very quiet, but I do think you'll be pleasantly surprised with an upgrade.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,744 of 6,436
Buying a Vali 2 is all the sign you need to roll. :grin: :grinning:

Please note that my criticism of the EH is based on my personal tastes and preferences and the rest of my system and 'phones. All of that comes into play with any tube. To their credit the EH's are inexpensive, last a long time and tend to be very quiet, but I do think you'll be pleasantly surprised with an upgrade.

Noted! But no worry I understood you very well. :relaxed:

Since I'm new to rolling so I mostly followed one of the popular first step given; now I'm prepared to let myself released to the wildness. :relaxed:

I'm planning to do the TungSol 6SN7 upgrade as soon as TubeDepot restocks the adapter. :relieved:

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #1,745 of 6,436
...{snip}.... planning to do the TungSol 6SN7 upgrade as soon as TubeDepot restocks the adapter....{snip}...

@Nastrahl ... When the bits & pieces eventually arrive, would you be able to take a photo & post it?

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #1,747 of 6,436
@Nastrahl ... When the bits & pieces eventually arrive, would you be able to take a photo & post it?
JJ-6SN7-2.JPG Here is a 6SN7 to 6922 adapters which is sitting atop a socket-saver. The tube is a JJ 6SN7

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,749 of 6,436
Jan 25, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #1,752 of 6,436
I used a Vali 2 while I was saving for a top of the line tube amp. It is probably the least expensive tube hybrid amp that works well with the HD800S. Rather than spending hundreds of dollars rolling tubes using adapters it might be a better idea just to save up and get a Lyr 3 (amp only) instead.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,753 of 6,436
I used a Vali 2 while I was saving for a top of the line tube amp. It is probably the least expensive tube hybrid amp that works well with the HD800S. Rather than spending hundreds of dollars rolling tubes using adapters it might be a better idea just to save up and get a Lyr 3 (amp only) instead.
I think you're still going to want to tube roll with the Lyr. I used the Vali to find the tube I like. Now I have the option of upgrading to the Lyr knowing what tube I want to use.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,754 of 6,436
It is hard to go wrong with a 1950-1953 Sylvania 6SN7GT just be patient until you can pick one up for $50 to $70. If you don't like it you can always sell it for what you paid. It is almost impossible to go wrong with a 1940s Tung Sol 6SN7GT with round plates and round micas but spending $250 on a tube for a $500 amp is probably overkill for most.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #1,755 of 6,436
Luckily I have other amps that use that tube as well so it is not a waste for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back