Vali 2 tube rolling
Feb 8, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #1,816 of 6,436
Yes. Compatible tubes with the Vali sans adapter should be as follows: 6CG7, 6FQ7, 6BK7, PCC88 (7DJ8), ECC88 (6DJ8), E88CC (6922 and it's many family members-I'll go in to this), 6N1P, 6N2P, 6N23P, ECC85. I am probably forgetting one or two of the more "niche" ones or sub versions.

7DJ8 (PCC88 in Europe) are identical in almost every way to a 6DJ8 (ECC88). The main difference is they technically use a higher heater voltage (7V) as opposed to 6.3V of the "normal" 6922 substitute. They work fine though...I use a 7DJ8 variant (Japanese Matsu****a) in my Lyr 2. If anything it will last longer, but some people say they don't like the 7DJ8 sound. I say it's up to you!

On the topic of 6922 variants...technically the 6922 (E88CC) is a high end version of the 6DJ8. Their internal structure is almost always different from the 6DJ8/7DJ8, but they should have nearly identical properties. Between the US and Europe, there are MANY variants. Some are highly sought after and command insane prices (Simens Cca for example).

You can read this article on them: http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

I wouldn't buy in to all of the hype he has for some types of tube (he wants to sell you them remember) but it at least makes a little more sense of the nomenclature.

This is a great answer. Thanks!

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #1,817 of 6,436
Yes. Compatible tubes with the Vali sans adapter should be as follows: 6CG7, 6FQ7, 6BK7, PCC88 (7DJ8), ECC88 (6DJ8), E88CC (6922 and it's many family members-I'll go in to this), 6N1P, 6N2P, 6N23P, ECC85. I am probably forgetting one or two of the more "niche" ones or sub versions.

7DJ8 (PCC88 in Europe) are identical in almost every way to a 6DJ8 (ECC88). The main difference is they technically use a higher heater voltage (7V) as opposed to 6.3V of the "normal" 6922 substitute. They work fine though...I use a 7DJ8 variant (Japanese Matsu****a) in my Lyr 2. If anything it will last longer, but some people say they don't like the 7DJ8 sound. I say it's up to you!

On the topic of 6922 variants...technically the 6922 (E88CC) is a high end version of the 6DJ8. Their internal structure is almost always different from the 6DJ8/7DJ8, but they should have nearly identical properties. Between the US and Europe, there are MANY variants. Some are highly sought after and command insane prices (Simens Cca for example).

You can read this article on them: http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

I wouldn't buy in to all of the hype he has for some types of tube (he wants to sell you them remember) but it at least makes a little more sense of the nomenclature.
I appreciated this clarification @HellooooThar ... the nomenclature gets a bit hairy for us newcomers to the rolling shtick. BTW, your icon always reminds me of Ryan Reynolds... in particular his BBC Radio 1 posting... schoolyard insults (NSFW, and all kinds of awesome).

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,818 of 6,436
Okay Robert, you've made a convert. I just plugged a Tung-Sol 6SN7GT into my Vali 2 and it sounds great.
cTNvQhGm.jpg

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,819 of 6,436
That is a start, now you need a 7N7 tall boy with Loktal adapter, and the world is your oyster. Till you try dual 6j5's in place of the 6922. There are choices lol.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,821 of 6,436
Received the ol' mouse ears today from that ebay listing the other day. I like it, kind of a lot. I will run it for a bit before I decide if I like it over my JJ 6SN7 that I was running previously. As of right now, they are pretty close sounding to me, but after running for a day or 2 we shall see if that stays the same. This thing doesn't have much glow, but it has glorious sound for sure. One thing I did notice right away, schiit in gets you schiit out for sure. My good sounding tracks sound amazing. My crappy recorded tracks sound, well like schiit. Probably enjoy Diana Krall through this tube more so than any other tube I have tried to date.

EDIT: How do you figure/find out the production year of these mouse ears?

IMG_20190211_150636.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #1,822 of 6,436
Received the ol' mouse ears today from that ebay listing the other day. I like it, kind of a lot. I will run it for a bit before I decide if I like it over my JJ 6SN7 that I was running previously. As of right now, they are pretty close sounding to me, but after running for a day or 2 we shall see if that stays the same. This thing doesn't have much glow, but it has glorious sound for sure. One thing I did notice right away, schiit in gets you schiit out for sure. My good sounding tracks sound amazing. My crappy recorded tracks sound, well like schiit. Probably enjoy Diana Krall through this tube more so than any other tube I have tried to date.

EDIT: How do you figure/find out the production year of these mouse ears?

There's a 6 digit code number to the right of the Tung-Sol logo. I belive the last 3 digits are the last digit of the year and the other 2 are the number of weeks into the year. In my case the tube has the code 322237. So it was made the 37th week of 1952.

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #1,823 of 6,436
There's a 6 digit code number to the right of the Tung-Sol logo. I belive the last 3 digits are the last digit of the year and the other 2 are the number of weeks into the year. In my case the tube has the code 322237. So it was made the 37th week of 1952.
I don't have 6, I have 7. Number on mine is 322326-3. What I have found out from the tube museum is 322 is Tung-Sol, the 3 after the 322 is supposedly for a filament voltage between 3.0 & 3.9 volts. Now, the -3 could actually be for the filament voltage leaving 326 to mean 26th week of 1953? No idea, I just know it is lovely. Been running for about 10 hours now, pretty much non-stop. The warmth, the sound stage, man the highs are so clean & crisp, and the bass. Wow. I listened to some Theon Cross & his tuba over my AKG's and did a holy hell. Not to shabby for $30.

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #1,824 of 6,436
I don't have 6, I have 7. Number on mine is 322326-3. What I have found out from the tube museum is 322 is Tung-Sol, the 3 after the 322 is supposedly for a filament voltage between 3.0 & 3.9 volts. Now, the -3 could actually be for the filament voltage leaving 326 to mean 26th week of 1953? No idea, I just know it is lovely. Been running for about 10 hours now, pretty much non-stop. The warmth, the sound stage, man the highs are so clean & crisp, and the bass. Wow. I listened to some Theon Cross & his tuba over my AKG's and did a holy hell. Not to shabby for $30.
I think the 326 is your date code. As for the sound, once I bought the mouse ears I never looked back. I stopped looking for better tubes. I've been told the Tung-Sol round plates are even better but way to expensive for me.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #1,825 of 6,436
Okay Robert, you've made a convert. I just plugged a Tung-Sol 6SN7GT into my Vali 2 and it sounds great.
cTNvQhGm.jpg

It is a beautiful thing... I am wondering what @Keno18 thinks about the Tung-Sol Tall Boys of the same vintage? I am thinking about another Mouse-ears if I find one at the right (read-cheaper) price. But, I scored three Tall Boys and they seem as sweet. Splitting fine hairs...

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #1,826 of 6,436
It is a beautiful thing... I am wondering what @Keno18 thinks about the Tung-Sol Tall Boys of the same vintage? I am thinking about another Mouse-ears if I find one at the right (read-cheaper) price. But, I scored three Tall Boys and they seem as sweet. Splitting fine hairs...
I'm not familiar with that tube specifically, but in general I've heard all the Tung-Sol tubes are good. For good or bad when I find a tube I like I tend to stick with it and get multiple backups to prolong the listening experience.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,827 of 6,436
I'm not familiar with that tube specifically, but in general I've heard all the Tung-Sol tubes are good. For good or bad when I find a tube I like I tend to stick with it and get multiple backups to prolong the listening experience.

It is funny you should say that, the vendor from whom I bought the $5.63 Mouse-ears also had the tall boys. I ordered one from her, and she sent me a messaage that she didn't have another Mouse ears, but would either send me a refund or 3- tubes. I was only buying one, and explained that me dropping the Mouse was in no way her fault--it was my error. So she sent me three Tall Boys... so I am set. Now those 'Mouse ears' have jumped into the $20-50 price range, and I guess "Three in the hand beats One in the trash" to paraphrase the expression.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,828 of 6,436
It is funny you should say that, the vendor from whom I bought the $5.63 Mouse-ears also had the tall boys. I ordered one from her, and she sent me a messaage that she didn't have another Mouse ears, but would either send me a refund or 3- tubes. I was only buying one, and explained that me dropping the Mouse was in no way her fault--it was my error. So she sent me three Tall Boys... so I am set. Now those 'Mouse ears' have jumped into the $20-50 price range, and I guess "Three in the hand beats One in the trash" to paraphrase the expression.

I think ebay sellers troll these forums looking for what's the flavour of the month, jacking up the prices accordingly.
Either that or @bcowen has started to buy up every mouse ear and supply is the dwindling:wink:

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,829 of 6,436
You certainly had yourself a deal there! Backups too!

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,830 of 6,436
I think ebay sellers troll these forums looking for what's the flavour of the month, jacking up the prices accordingly.
Either that or @bcowen has started to buy up every mouse ear and supply is the dwindling:wink:

I would much rather blame Bill, it makes life simpler.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back