Vali 2 tube rolling
Nov 5, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,486 of 6,436
So far very good. Very slightly less low end than the Vali but better detail in the bass. More forward in the vocals. Vali sometimes has better mid bass transient response. Slightly smoother high end. At times hard to tell them apart.
Hm. Sounds neat-I wonder how running a tube buffer in front of the Vali 2 would sound. Maybe you could find a tube pairing that would be the best of both worlds. That would be an interesting experiment!

As an aside, I finally got my hands on a Sylvania 6CG7 triple grey plate, silver shield (circular getter) today. It was pretty hard to find actually. It seems to do really well-first thing I noticed was how little impurity must have burned off during manufacturing-there is so little burn off residue (silver stuff) at the top.

The 6N1P still wins in my book though. More exciting sound-the too end of the Sylvania 6CG7 seems BORING. It sounds good, but super neutral. I don’t want to say solid state, but kinda?

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,487 of 6,436
Hm. Sounds neat-I wonder how running a tube buffer in front of the Vali 2 would sound. Maybe you could find a tube pairing that would be the best of both worlds. That would be an interesting experiment!

As an aside, I finally got my hands on a Sylvania 6CG7 triple grey plate, silver shield (circular getter) today. It was pretty hard to find actually. It seems to do really well-first thing I noticed was how little impurity must have burned off during manufacturing-there is so little burn off residue (silver stuff) at the top.

The 6N1P still wins in my book though. More exciting sound-the too end of the Sylvania 6CG7 seems BORING. It sounds good, but super neutral. I don’t want to say solid state, but kinda?

Tubing a tube??
serveimage

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,488 of 6,436

I thought about putting the buffer ahead of the Vali, but I don't think putting one tube front end ahead of another would be a good test. (Not to mention the spaghetti wiring I'd have to do to ab them.)

As for the 6cg7 I tried a Zenith and an Electro-harmonix with meh results. They're electrically the same as the 6sn7, but I find 6sn7 to be far superior. You just need to get an adapter and a socket saver and stack everything.

I don't have any experience with a 6n1p, it sounds tempting.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,489 of 6,436
22A0CBC8-6FE6-4CE4-B58A-4C08A0764859.jpeg
I have a confession to make. I've been cheating on my faithful Vail 2/12au7a with a cheap 6ak5 buffer/Magni 3. I'm so ashamed...

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #1,491 of 6,436
I thought about putting the buffer ahead of the Vali, but I don't think putting one tube front end ahead of another would be a good test. (Not to mention the spaghetti wiring I'd have to do to ab them.)

As for the 6cg7 I tried a Zenith and an Electro-harmonix with meh results. They're electrically the same as the 6sn7, but I find 6sn7 to be far superior. You just need to get an adapter and a socket saver and stack everything.

I don't have any experience with a 6n1p, it sounds tempting.

The 6N1P-EV is worth a try for the price. Viva Tubes has them for really cheap. Next week post paycheck I will be trying to buy some Novosibirsk 6N1Ps from 1977. They are apparently the best of the best. I will obviously update y’all after I get them. No adapter needed is nice.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,492 of 6,436
Thanks for the welcome!

I have a 6N3P-EV on the way, and a 6N23P as well. We shall see who wins the tube off!

Also rip my wallet — I’m a college kid who now owns 100+ bucks worth of little glass thingies.

Try looking for the 1960s 6N3P, the Fotons are nice. Tried a lot of 6N3P and their variants -DR -E -EV so far I liked the ‘60s best. Good luck.

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #1,494 of 6,436
So far this is my favorite RCA 6sn7 gtb
Would you mind posting the part number (or your favourite vendor) of that base adapter?

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #1,495 of 6,436
Would you mind posting the part number (or your favourite vendor) of that base adapter?
Hi ScubaMan, I used tubedepot.com, part #SK-6SN7-6922 6sn7 to 6922 adapter. To raise the adapter above the hole in the case you'll also need the SK-9SVR socket saver.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,497 of 6,436
How much do you guys think a Lyr 1 with some genelex gold lions would sound with my 400I?

Significant upgrade over Vali 2 with my favorite 6N1P-EV?

I love my Vali, I’ve had it about a month now though and I feel like it’s just missing SOMETHING but I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe it’s musicality, or flow or I don’t know — thing sounds really good but perhaps lacks a bit of the life I would love over pure precision. I just don’t feel goosebumps despite having clear sound, or that same physical response.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,498 of 6,436
How much do you guys think a Lyr 1 with some genelex gold lions would sound with my 400I?

Significant upgrade over Vali 2 with my favorite 6N1P-EV?

I love my Vali, I’ve had it about a month now though and I feel like it’s just missing SOMETHING but I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe it’s musicality, or flow or I don’t know — thing sounds really good but perhaps lacks a bit of the life I would love over pure precision. I just don’t feel goosebumps despite having clear sound, or that same physical response.
Have a look at the "Lyr vs Lyr 2" thread. Lots of info.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,499 of 6,436
Hi ScubaMan, I used tubedepot.com, part #SK-6SN7-6922 6sn7 to 6922 adapter. To raise the adapter above the hole in the case you'll also need the SK-9SVR socket saver.

I bought the Vali 2 here on Head-fi and the seller included the socket saver and adapter. Here's a clearer picture. I believe he said he found them on Ebay but I've also seen them on tubedepot.com. Hope this helps.

@dhm78 & @Keno18 ... Speedy reply. Thanks, eh. I still can’t articulate HOW my Vali 2 (with its non-descript, mystery tube) is different from my Magni3. I’m too busy gazing at the glowing filaments on top of the tube amp. I like it.

Once I replace my elderly device (feeding my Schiit MB), I’ll start farting around with tubes...

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,500 of 6,436
@dhm78 & @Keno18 ... Speedy reply. Thanks, eh. I still can’t articulate HOW my Vali 2 (with its non-descript, mystery tube) is different from my Magni3. I’m too busy gazing at the glowing filaments on top of the tube amp. I like it.

Once I replace my elderly device (feeding my Schiit MB), I’ll start farting around with tubes...
Maybe there isn't that much of a difference between the two with the stock tube. Just enough for you to like. When you start tube rolling you'll hopefully notice a bigger difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back