Vali 2 tube rolling
Nov 9, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,501 of 6,436
Would you mind posting the part number (or your favourite vendor) of that base adapter?

There are several vendors on Ebay. I've purchased from the seller below (China) and from 'xulingmrs' (Hong Kong) and received good quality adapters from both. Cannot recommend the seller 'tubemalls' as the one I purchased from him had sticky goo all over it (assume it was epoxy that hadn't been mixed right and never set up).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-6SN7-T...?epid=166885933&hash=item363e65a9bb:rk:1:pf:0

Just spied this one from a US seller. Even has a CE logo on it, although I wonder (at that price) whether its valid. No experience with this seller so buyer beware, but it would be nice not having to wait for 3 weeks to get delivery from the far east:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6SN7-to-69...h=item25e33e778f:g:hyUAAOSw1JVZ8dFW:rk:2:pf:0

And one more thing on adapters: always, always test them to be sure they are wired correctly before sticking in your amp. One of the first ones I bought a while back was not wired correctly. Fortunately I caught it (by testing) before I stuck it in the amp....

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,502 of 6,436
There are several vendors on Ebay. I've purchased from the seller below (China) and from 'xulingmrs' (Hong Kong) and received good quality adapters from both. Cannot recommend the seller 'tubemalls' as the one I purchased from him had sticky goo all over it (assume it was epoxy that hadn't been mixed right and never set up).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-6SN7-T...?epid=166885933&hash=item363e65a9bb:rk:1:pf:0

Just spied this one from a US seller. Even has a CE logo on it, although I wonder (at that price) whether its valid. No experience with this seller so buyer beware, but it would be nice not having to wait for 3 weeks to get delivery from the far east:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6SN7-to-69...h=item25e33e778f:g:hyUAAOSw1JVZ8dFW:rk:2:pf:0

And one more thing on adapters: always, always test them to be sure they are wired correctly before sticking in your amp. One of the first ones I bought a while back was not wired correctly. Fortunately I caught it (by testing) before I stuck it in the amp....

I've bought adapters from the store in the first link too. My second purchase arrived stupidly quick - iirc the seller upgraded my shipping to epacket at no extra cost. I'd recommend them

Also should point out that g1217 sells adapters too. They cost a bit more but do ship from the US so they could arrive much quicker. Haven't tried any of them yet, but supposedly they're built better than the typical Ebay finds. I'm just not sure if the 6sn7 adapter is meant to work for a 6dj8 or 12au7

Nov 10, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,503 of 6,436
I've bought adapters from the store in the first link too. My second purchase arrived stupidly quick - iirc the seller upgraded my shipping to epacket at no extra cost. I'd recommend them

Also should point out that g1217 sells adapters too. They cost a bit more but do ship from the US so they could arrive much quicker. Haven't tried any of them yet, but supposedly they're built better than the typical Ebay finds. I'm just not sure if the 6sn7 adapter is meant to work for a 6dj8 or 12au7

Jeremy makes the best !

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,504 of 6,436
I have to thank HellooooThar for giving me the idea for this. He said he was looking for a different sound from the Vali. I was working on the FX Audio preamp /Magni sound that I couldn't quite get to sound like the Vali /RCA clear top combo. It hit me that maybe I should go in another direction. I pulled the upgrade GEs from the preamp and put in the stock tubes. The sound is now further from the Vali but still tube-like. It's got a hot high end, very fast punchy overall sound (lively?). The bass is there not as blooming, but tight. Let's see what the tubes sound like when they burn in. Also replacement tubes are on ebay for $2.18 a pair.

Update: 12 hour burn-in seems to have wiped out most of the high end liveliness. Going back to the GE 5654s seems to best the 6j1s. Oh well.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,505 of 6,436
You crazy lot! I'm back, thought I'd share something as I feel the Vali 2 is still a great product by Schiit!

7660462043731702612.jpg
Finally got around to ordering an adatper for some 12Au7 I have, thanks to you lot (going first!) :grin: and sharing your experiences with 12Au7 bottles in the Vali. Salute! :pray:

My Vali has been regulated to CD desktop duties, living a quieter life as of lately.

Tube in the picture is the Genelex Gold Lion new production, I had this back in my first cMoy tube amp by Fred_Fred back in the day! :grin:
Great tube, near silently, just a bit of background hiss but seems to goes away after a bit of use. Tame bass, mid and high's seem to be where this tube likes to show off. Great overall presentation, quite enveloping!

I have a Mil-Spec Sylvania 12au7 that I might roll-in later!

Right now, enjoying the Gold Lions with the Edition X's, whilst listening to some Michael Kiwanuka - Love & Hate.

Michael_Kiwanuka_-_Love_&_Hate.jpg
Not bad Vali, not bad! :kissing_closed_eyes:

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,508 of 6,436
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,512 of 6,436
Alright, as I sadly(? I think my wallet is sadder than I am) part ways with my Vali 2 for my coming Lyr 2, here are my findings as far as tubes are concerned. The following were all $20 or so tubes that I tried, things definately accessible for most people here. I just tried a whole bunch of different easy to find stuff. I will break down my thoughts!

Here is a list of what I tried, in no particular order:
1. Phillips PCC88 (this thing has factory code DJER, but I can't make out any other symbols)
2. 6N1P-EV (Voshkod? Has gold grid, silver shield, two wire getter-1990)
3. Amperex 6CG7 Orange Globe USA (1979 or 73, can't tell)
4.Tung Sol 6CG7 USA
5. Sylvania 6CG7 triple grey plate, silver shield
6. JJ E88CC Gold Pin

My setup was Tidal (master quality when avalible) ---> Topping D10 USB DAC (sabre chip I beleive) ---> Vali 2 ---> HE 400I

On to impressions:

1. Phillips PCC88: At first, I really wasn’t sure what people had liked this tube for. It felt like there was a filter or tin can over the upper mids/treble - it was pulled back but still trying to be detailed. There was still a bit of sharpness to the treble despite this. Then I played some of a band called Tinariwen, a Tuareg group that performs Malian music. They have some amazing guitar distortion sounds and awesome electric bass and WOW-the bass on this thing is so warm and fuzzy. Guitar distortion just sounds so wonderful, and the electric bass notes roll off like honey. This bass performance carries across the board. Still feels like it can’t decide what it wants to be – is it dry and a tad sharp in the upper range, or a nice warm bassy analog sound? The soundstage is just eh-it is there, not bad, not good. Treble is meh in terms of detail and a bit sharp.

2. Amperex “Globe” 6CG7 USA: This is an interesting one. The best sound stage between the PCC88 and JJ E88CC (Teslaish thing) by far, also the most exciting of the 6CG7 family. Great air to the sound, lots of separation and much more depth. Not incredibly warm though. The PCC88 is grungy and growly in the low notes, this exposes the grunge. The only warmth is evident a bit in the bass. People say this thing is kind of “neutral” and I would agree, exception of the highs, which might be a tad forward and bright.

3. JJ E88CC Gold Pin: Not a lot to hate here. The soundstage is eh -- better than the Phillips (slightly) but worse than the Amperex Globe. I think there is more “air” in it than the Phillips, but it is less warm. Maybe it is just my mind playing tricks on me, but it FEELS newer. I agree with what some others have said – it has a house sound to it. Excited maybe. Not the most relaxing sound, but not really too fatiguing. It lacks the strange “s” sound sibilance peak the Phillips and Amperex seem to have. The treble sounds bigger than especially the Phillips. Less overall detail in the high range though than the Vhosh. Sound stage never really wowed me.

4. Tung Sol 6CG7: I really didn’t think this one stood out in any way. I swear, I put it in and went “ehh, back to the 6N1P”. There was nothing about it that stood out against the Amperex, and it lacked the fun house sound of the Phillips or JJ. I threw it back in for a second time today and found it a bit better. Probably the easiest to listen to of the 6CG7s, being less boringly neutral in the highs than the Sylvania, but less sharp than the Amperex. If I feel like it, I might revisit this one later and let it burn in for a while, but for now, this is all the info you get. As an aside, a thing I liked more about it than the Sylvania was the soundstage. I don’t love how left/right the Sylvania is sometimes.

5. Voshkod 6N1P-EV (1990-04): When I first put this tube in, I was coming from the Amperex, which I liked at the time. It immediately blew me away. It has some of the warmth of the Phillips, but an amazing kind of “flow” to it. Sounds resonate in a really pleasing way. The top end is incredibly detailed and fun to listen to, while the mid isn’t too forward but rich in detail. The bass is tight but powerful. Soundstage is wonderful for this class of tube (6922,E88CC etc.) considering the price and the tube isn’t microphonic at all. It sounds warm and playful and runs warm (glows the most) too! I really love this thing. For the price, you can’t freaking go wrong. I got mine NOS tested from VivaTubes for $5 plus shipping. What the…

6. Sylvania 6CG7 Triple Gray Plate, Silver Shield: This tube was the most expensive, and at first comes off as being neutral as with all the 6CG7s, but I don’t think it is now. It seems natural, but dare I say a dull? Good warm bass, but just flat and flabby. Some people (including Schiit themselves) found that the 6CG7 sounded flat on the Lyr, and I think that might be the case on the Vali as well. The soundstage and the bass is probably the only really redeeming category for any of the 6CG7s honestly – they are all pretty good in that respect. But why this thing when the 6N1P-EV exists for less money? I don’t know.

Bottom line -- best of my tests? Those 6N1P-EVs. Apparently there are even better ones out there than the ones I have. An amazing value. I don't doubt that there are other great options, but that one is a good one when wallet is concerned. It won't make crap sound good though, so be careful. Siblant recordings will sound siblant. Bassless recordings won't have bass.

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,513 of 6,436

You might want to look at this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-p...120609?hash=item2cb62f65e1:g:QRMAAOSwA3dYNUfL.
It's smaller and will fit in the Vali's tube socket without a socket saver. Been using it since August.

I have the same adapter as the one Volly posted and it fits my Vali fine. There isn't any free space around it, but that shouldn't matter. The only problem I've had with my adapter is that the ink rubbed off the label pretty quick and I needed to "relabel" it with a Sharpie so I didn't mix it up with my other adapters

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,514 of 6,436
I have the same adapter as the one Volly posted and it fits my Vali fine. There isn't any free space around it, but that shouldn't matter. The only problem I've had with my adapter is that the ink rubbed off the label pretty quick and I needed to "relabel" it with a Sharpie so I didn't mix it up with my other adapters
I had that one until one of the pins snapped, and yes the ink does rub off quickly. The one I described is the same size as a socket saver and no, the ink doesn't rub off:smile_phones:. But it's bakelite or plastic if that matters.

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,515 of 6,436
I think I was a little too critical towards the 6CG7s in the Vali 2....They aren't all bad. But man, that Sylvania that was supposed to be great? It was terrible!

Revisiting all my tubes, I actually quite like the Amperex Globe! Highs are more transparent than I originally gave them credit for. Honestly, good! Maybe I will try some of these things in the Lyr after all. The low end is strong but a little floppy tho, the highs lean towards siblance a bit and the mids are a bit cages sounding. But I like it, lots of height to the sound stage which is neat.

EDIT: What the...these things are hard to find! 70s Amperex USA Globe 6CG7s have vanished from the internet!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back