Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #1,471 of 6,436
Glad to hear there's a simple explanation.

For my ears the 12au7s are my favourite tubes in the Vali2 so far. I just love how much "bigger" they sound compared to the 6dj8 types. Perhaps the 6sn7s are technically better, but they both sound close enough to me and I only need to use one adapter with the 12au7.
Now I just need to get one of those cleartops (I'll just hang my head in shame and see myself out)
You gave me the idea to try it again when you said you hadn't run into a situation where a tube sounded like a different one. I agree with you about 12au7s. I just didn't think I had enough experience to render a firm opinion. All my 12au7s came from my first amp, a Bravo V2. I was buying them before I heard of head-fi.

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #1,472 of 6,436
You gave me the idea to try it again when you said you hadn't run into a situation where a tube sounded like a different one. I agree with you about 12au7s. I just didn't think I had enough experience to render a firm opinion. All my 12au7s came from my first amp, a Bravo V2. I was buying them before I heard of head-fi.

I have a Little Bear version of that Bravo. 2 actually. One stock, the other one I modded the mosfets, caps. Even though they are pretty cheap - build quality wise, they still are fairly decent sounding. I love the way those class A mosfets can handle the low end. Also the LB can switch between 6dj8 and 12au7 with just a jumper - no adapter required. Plus since they also don't use any negative feedback (unlike the Vali2) they should have more of a "tube sound".
The advantage the Vali2 has over them is since it does use negative feedback, you get a low gain option, which is pretty much necessary if you want to use IEMs. And auto bias. That's a god send for lazy folk, like me

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #1,473 of 6,436
I have a Little Bear version of that Bravo. 2 actually. One stock, the other one I modded the mosfets, caps. Even though they are pretty cheap - build quality wise, they still are fairly decent sounding. I love the way those class A mosfets can handle the low end. Also the LB can switch between 6dj8 and 12au7 with just a jumper - no adapter required. Plus since they also don't use any negative feedback (unlike the Vali2) they should have more of a "tube sound".
The advantage the Vali2 has over them is since it does use negative feedback, you get a low gain option, which is pretty much necessary if you want to use IEMs. And auto bias. That's a god send for lazy folk, like me
I also have the Little Bear. I got it as an upgrade to the Bravo because of the bias adjust. Mine went thermal and would only work for about 3 minutes. They sent a replacement board but the muting relay never worked, that's when I decided to go with the Vali. Also, adjusting the bias was a problem because the board was so cramped. But I did like the sound. Did upgrading the mosfets really improve the sound? The only mod I did was to add an outboard capacitor in a box to suplement the 4200 uf capacitor they used.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,474 of 6,436
Glad to hear there's a simple explanation.

For my ears the 12au7s are my favourite tubes in the Vali2 so far. I just love how much "bigger" they sound compared to the 6dj8 types. Perhaps the 6sn7s are technically better, but they both sound close enough to me and I only need to use one adapter with the 12au7.
Now I just need to get one of those cleartops (I'll just hang my head in shame and see myself out)
I agree, the 12AU7 tubes seem to give me a sound that enjoy. The 6SN7 tubes have a really good sound, but so far the 12AU7 tubes are my favorite.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,475 of 6,436
I agree, the 12AU7 tubes seem to give me a sound that enjoy. The 6SN7 tubes have a really good sound, but so far the 12AU7 tubes are my favorite.

In the 12AU7 family you guys should try a Holland made Amperex 7316 if you can find one for a decent price. Direct 12AU7 sub with a higher spec. Just don't even think about buying from BangyBangTubes on Ebay...he has some listed that are relabeled fakes.

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,476 of 6,436
I also have the Little Bear. I got it as an upgrade to the Bravo because of the bias adjust. Mine went thermal and would only work for about 3 minutes. They sent a replacement board but the muting relay never worked, that's when I decided to go with the Vali. Also, adjusting the bias was a problem because the board was so cramped. But I did like the sound. Did upgrading the mosfets really improve the sound? The only mod I did was to add an outboard capacitor in a box to suplement the 4200 uf capacitor they used.

Not surprised you had problems. Like I said not the best quality. Adjusting the bias is a pain, trying to find a decent place to clamp the MM probes. The bias pots on mine also are pretty sloppy so it can be tricky getting the fine adjustments down right. Upgrading the mosfets reduced distortion and eliminated the HF roll off - pushed the top end extension from ~10khz to +30khz IIRC. I guess if that's an improvement really depends on how much you like high frequencies - some people like the roll off claiming it gives the amp a warmer more "tubey" sound.
My biggest motivation for getting the Vali was to get more options for rolling tubes. With the P1 i was pretty much stuck to 6dj8/12au7 tubes. I couldn't even get a 5670 to bias properly and that only needs 50ma more current.

In the 12AU7 family you guys should try a Holland made Amperex 7316 if you can find one for a decent price. Direct 12AU7 sub with a higher spec. Just don't even think about buying from BangyBangTubes on Ebay...he has some listed that are relabeled fakes.

Feel free to send one my way:wink:

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,477 of 6,436
Not surprised you had problems. Like I said not the best quality. Adjusting the bias is a pain, trying to find a decent place to clamp the MM probes. The bias pots on mine also are pretty sloppy so it can be tricky getting the fine adjustments down right. Upgrading the mosfets reduced distortion and eliminated the HF roll off - pushed the top end extension from ~10khz to +30khz IIRC. I guess if that's an improvement really depends on how much you like high frequencies - some people like the roll off claiming it gives the amp a warmer more "tubey" sound.
My biggest motivation for getting the Vali was to get more options for rolling tubes. With the P1 i was pretty much stuck to 6dj8/12au7 tubes. I couldn't even get a 5670 to bias properly and that only needs 50ma more current.
My concern was to get something that wasn't going to burn up in a year. And yes, I suspected the auto bias would allow the use of more tubes (plus I'm also lazy).

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #1,478 of 6,436
My concern was to get something that wasn't going to burn up in a year. And yes, I suspected the auto bias would allow the use of more tubes (plus I'm also lazy).

It's not the auto bias that allows more tubes. The Bravo and P1 can only handle a 300ma heater current. The Vali2 can go to 600ma (apparently the Project Ember can do up to 1a. supposedly enough current to allow using driver tubes - never heard of anybody trying that yet)

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,479 of 6,436
It's not the auto bias that allows more tubes. The Bravo and P1 can only handle a 300ma heater current. The Vali2 can go to 600ma (apparently the Project Ember can do up to 1a. supposedly enough current to allow using driver tubes - never heard of anybody trying that yet)
Ah, I see. With the Bravo I even had trouble running some 12au7s but that didn't have any bias adjustment at all. That's why I thought it was the bias. Thanks for the new information.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #1,480 of 6,436
The 6N1P-EV...

All I can say is oh. my. god.

I liked the Amperex Globe 6CG7 I was using in my Vali 2. I thought, for the most part, it had a nice clean sound, open soundstage, decent bass. Because I have become a tube addict though, I couldn't resist the really cheap NOS Voshkod 6N1P-EV's that Viva Tubes had up for sale. Literally, think I paid $5 plus $8 shipping.

I have been using it for less than a week now, but I can't STOP USING IT. I want to put on my headphones and listen ALL THE TIME.

For anyone poking around for a good Vali tube upgrade, look no further.

I think it might have finally "settled in" a bit. This evening I came back from a long drive to grab a friend from the train, fired up my Vali and it sounded the best it has since I put the Voshkod in.

While supposedly the best of these tubes are the ones from 1975, 74 and 77, mine still sounds amazing and it is from 1990 as best I can tell. To begin with, there is no microphonic quality and absolutely no background noise. Viva Tubes did their testing very well, or these things rock, or both. They excel at nearly every genre in my opinion. Overall, the tube has an exceptionally open and detailed presentation. It can hold its own in even the most detailed tracks (thinking Nickel Creek here: vocal harmonies + a guitar, mandolin, and violin). It never feels like it runs out of oomph or resolution when slammed with a bunch of details. Good soundstage, very open top end. There is real depth here.

Treble has tamed out a bit all of a sudden. I don't notice sibilance unless I am listening to a track with poor mastering. Tracks that aren't sibilant arent sibilant. There is wonderful resonance here too, the notes feel warm but just in the slightest. The detail is off the charts.

Mids are really good too. Vocals are eye-watering (tears?) levels of clear and crisp. The sound open, real, nor canned and recorded. Even heavily produced tracks (the likes of Travis Scott) retain the same amazing detail powers here, great sound stage.

Lows are big when they need to be, but punctual otherwise. The Voshkod can still literally shake my HE400is though.

I don't know what to say, other than if you haven't tried one of these $10 or so masterpieces, you're missing out BIG TIME. It is so dang smooth! There is this "rolling" feeling to everything on this tube, a certain kind of momentum that is just so pleasing.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,481 of 6,436
The 6N1P-EV...

All I can say is oh. my. god.

I liked the Amperex Globe 6CG7 I was using in my Vali 2. I thought, for the most part, it had a nice clean sound, open soundstage, decent bass. Because I have become a tube addict though, I couldn't resist the really cheap NOS Voshkod 6N1P-EV's that Viva Tubes had up for sale. Literally, think I paid $5 plus $8 shipping.

I have been using it for less than a week now, but I can't STOP USING IT. I want to put on my headphones and listen ALL THE TIME.

For anyone poking around for a good Vali tube upgrade, look no further.

I think it might have finally "settled in" a bit. This evening I came back from a long drive to grab a friend from the train, fired up my Vali and it sounded the best it has since I put the Voshkod in.

While supposedly the best of these tubes are the ones from 1975, 74 and 77, mine still sounds amazing and it is from 1990 as best I can tell. To begin with, there is no microphonic quality and absolutely no background noise. Viva Tubes did their testing very well, or these things rock, or both. They excel at nearly every genre in my opinion. Overall, the tube has an exceptionally open and detailed presentation. It can hold its own in even the most detailed tracks (thinking Nickel Creek here: vocal harmonies + a guitar, mandolin, and violin). It never feels like it runs out of oomph or resolution when slammed with a bunch of details. Good soundstage, very open top end. There is real depth here.

Treble has tamed out a bit all of a sudden. I don't notice sibilance unless I am listening to a track with poor mastering. Tracks that aren't sibilant arent sibilant. There is wonderful resonance here too, the notes feel warm but just in the slightest. The detail is off the charts.

Mids are really good too. Vocals are eye-watering (tears?) levels of clear and crisp. The sound open, real, nor canned and recorded. Even heavily produced tracks (the likes of Travis Scott) retain the same amazing detail powers here, great sound stage.

Lows are big when they need to be, but punctual otherwise. The Voshkod can still literally shake my HE400is though.

I don't know what to say, other than if you haven't tried one of these $10 or so masterpieces, you're missing out BIG TIME. It is so dang smooth! There is this "rolling" feeling to everything on this tube, a certain kind of momentum that is just so pleasing.

Welcome, Mr. Thar, to Head-Fi ("sorry 'bout your wallet," and all that).

I haven't tried the 6N1P-EV tubes, but I had a similar experience with Voskhod Rocket 6N2P-EV and Reflektor 6N3P-E (requires adapter) tubes. Pretty decent price-to-performance ratio. :metal::metal:

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #1,482 of 6,436
Welcome, Mr. Thar, to Head-Fi ("sorry 'bout your wallet," and all that).

I haven't tried the 6N1P-EV tubes, but I had a similar experience with Voskhod Rocket 6N2P-EV and Reflektor 6N3P-E (requires adapter) tubes. Pretty decent price-to-performance ratio. :metal::metal:

Thanks for the welcome!

I have a 6N3P-EV on the way, and a 6N23P as well. We shall see who wins the tube off!

Also rip my wallet — I’m a college kid who now owns 100+ bucks worth of little glass thingies.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,483 of 6,436
I have a confession to make. I've been cheating on my faithful Vail 2/12au7a with a cheap 6ak5 buffer/Magni 3. I'm so ashamed...
20181105_140153.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back