Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #1,456 of 6,436
IMG_3903.jpg Christ on a cracker! A Vali tube rolling thread (so there’s at least 2 threads... one for the base unit [and general Vali inquiries]... and one for “valves”). Nice!
Alright, I’m enjoying my first tube amp (the Vali 2). I’ve been using the stock tube for ~10h. While it has a faint black serial number printed on the side, it has no other markings. I contacted Schiit’s (excellent) customer service... they must have crates of these NOS.... all they knew was that they were Russian. Question: has anybody figured out the valve’s providence? Image attached (btw, if one knows how to insert images into posts, let me know)... thanks, eh.

(I’ll respect the thread and re-read the older posts to educate myself).

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,457 of 6,436
No idea where that tube was born...sorry.

The stock tube that came with my Vali2 was, um, shall we say uninspiring? No glaring faults, just didn't give any hint of how good the Vali could sound. My favorite tube without adding an adapter was a 50's Telefunken 6DJ8. Not too hard to find and not absurdly priced, but 6DJ8's in general have a reputation for being noisy and/or microphonic. If you can find a good one though they sound great, and better (to my ears) than most of their 6922 brethren. If you don't have an issue with adapters, then there's an entire new world of possibilities out there for rolling.

To insert an image, click the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom of the text field. :grimacing:

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,459 of 6,436
I agree with bcowen. I tried a gold issue Electro-Harmonix and a Genalex Gold Lion 6922 and didn't care for the sound. Just a couple of posts above these there's a recommendation for the 7DJ8. I found what I was looking for with tube adapters though.
Yea there are some decent 7dj8 tubes out there. I like them from Ei, which is a telafunken design mage on the old Telefunken dies.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,460 of 6,436
Christ on a cracker! A Vali tube rolling thread (so there’s at least 2 threads... one for the base unit [and general Vali inquiries]... and one for “valves”). Nice!
Alright, I’m enjoying my first tube amp (the Vali 2). I’ve been using the stock tube for ~10h. While it has a faint black serial number printed on the side, it has no other markings. I contacted Schiit’s (excellent) customer service... they must have crates of these NOS.... all they knew was that they were Russian. Question: has anybody figured out the valve’s providence? Image attached (btw, if one knows how to insert images into posts, let me know)... thanks, eh.

(I’ll respect the thread and re-read the older posts to educate myself).

I think it's pretty much a crap shoot as to what stock tube you get. At the moment there's an ad on Canuck Audio Mart for a Vali 2 which lists the stock tube as a Sylvania NOS 6BQ7 (pics clearly show the markings). At one time the only markings on the tube were "Made in Canada". The tube in mine - like yours - has very little markings at all. Personally, I've never heard mention they were Russian made… until now

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,461 of 6,436
Yeah, I'm taking baby steps, workin' my way up:

I need to look into those dual-tube adapters (that use two single-triode tubes) just for fun.

This sounds noticeably different from the smaller tubes?
Well I guess that's not very specific since those have different sounds from each other but I read that bigger tubes sound wider.

Love how this looks :smile:

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #1,462 of 6,436
This sounds noticeably different from the smaller tubes?
Well I guess that's not very specific since those have different sounds from each other but I read that bigger tubes sound wider.

Love how this looks :smile:
I am running a Sylvania green label bottom getter flat plate. I must say it does sound nice. I also picked 2 Pearl Tube Cooler's, one 6922 sized, and the other is for 6SN7 tubes. I am hopeing that it does extend the life of the tubes I have.t

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,463 of 6,436
I am running a Sylvania green label bottom getter flat plate. I must say it does sound nice. I also picked 2 Pearl Tube Cooler's, one 6922 sized, and the other is for 6SN7 tubes. I am hopeing that it does extend the life of the tubes I have.t
I'm running a new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB. Also sounds good. I read on the Reference 6SN7 thread that GTBs can outlast you.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #1,464 of 6,436

Not to ruin your day or anything, but in an open-air design like the Vali2 the tube cooler isn't going to do much of anything. There could (maybe) be some value where the tube is in a closed case, but for the most part tube coolers in general are a solution looking for a problem.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,466 of 6,436
Another clear top burnout. That last one lasted about a month. Two down 11 to go. Thank goodness they're from different vendors.

Bummer. Assuming those are 12au7 (there are also 6cg7 cleartops), I'd make sure to check your adapter too. Make sure the wiring is all sound/correct.
I still have to get myself a cleartop - I might be the only tube amp owner without one:astonished:

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #1,467 of 6,436
Bummer. Assuming those are 12au7 (there are also 6cg7 cleartops), I'd make sure to check your adapter too. Make sure the wiring is all sound/correct.
I still have to get myself a cleartop - I might be the only tube amp owner without one:astonished:
It's definitely a 12AU7A. When I say burn out I mean they audio quality changes where the bass decreases to the point it sounds like a different tube, maybe I should say the tube deteriorates. That's more accurate. When I pop in another the bass returns.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,468 of 6,436
It's definitely a 12AU7A. When I say burn out I mean they audio quality changes where the bass decreases to the point it sounds like a different tube, maybe I should say the tube deteriorates. That's more accurate. When I pop in another the bass returns.

Gotcha. I was thinking blinding flash of light, glass shards everywhere:wink:
It's not just something that could be attributed to the tubes burning in? Granted none of my tubes ever changed to the point where I'd say they sound like a different tube…

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #1,469 of 6,436
Gotcha. I was thinking blinding flash of light, glass shards everywhere:wink:
It's not just something that could be attributed to the tubes burning in? Granted none of my tubes ever changed to the point where I'd say they sound like a different tube…
Only one tube is NOS, the other 10 are just vintage used with a "strong" rating. The ones with the short lifespan weren't really rated, just guaranteed to work. Which they did just not for long. It'll be interesting to see how the rest hold up.

Edit: Pilot error. I had my levels mismatched. Put the old tube back in and made sure the level was the same as the when I listened to the replacement and they both sounded the same. Time to start listening to the music not the equipment.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,470 of 6,436
Only one tube is NOS, the other 10 are just vintage used with a "strong" rating. The ones with the short lifespan weren't really rated, just guaranteed to work. Which they did just not for long. It'll be interesting to see how the rest hold up.

Edit: Pilot error. I had my levels mismatched. Put the old tube back in and made sure the level was the same as the when I listened to the replacement and they both sounded the same. Time to start listening to the music not the equipment.

Glad to hear there's a simple explanation.

For my ears the 12au7s are my favourite tubes in the Vali2 so far. I just love how much "bigger" they sound compared to the 6dj8 types. Perhaps the 6sn7s are technically better, but they both sound close enough to me and I only need to use one adapter with the 12au7.
Now I just need to get one of those cleartops (I'll just hang my head in shame and see myself out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back