Vali 2 tube rolling
Jun 23, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #526 of 6,436
I'm thinking of getting a Vali 2 to go with my Ether C, since I've heard good things about it. I've never used a tube amp before so I'm new to the tube rolling hobby.

Could anyone recommend me something that would go well with the Ether C? I'm looking for something with a bit of warmth that can really synergise with the Ether Cs strengths.

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #527 of 6,436
I'm thinking of getting a Vali 2 to go with my Ether C, since I've heard good things about it. I've never used a tube amp before so I'm new to the tube rolling hobby.

Could anyone recommend me something that would go well with the Ether C? I'm looking for something with a bit of warmth that can really synergise with the Ether Cs strengths.

Tbh I was pretty disappointed with the vali 2. It's a good amp as far as amps go, but it doesn't really have a tubey sound, and even though schiit brags about 60w plate voltage, that's nothing compared to how most OTL amps are pushing 550+ watts, so really the tubes aren't doing much but besides glowing :S I've tried a few mullard and electro harmonix tubes, but I honestly couldn't tell much difference, and you can't truly a/b different tubes because by the time you take one off and put the other one in and turn the amp back on, your brain has already forgotten the difference, and you just kinda assume it sounds different based on the general characteristics people say about the said tube - i notice lot of schiit products are "really good and worth buying" kinda like how christians say "prove god doesn't exist!" 

I recently got a littldot mk3, and I actually like it quite a bit even with the stock tubes. It has a nice smooth sound with a bit of tubey echo, though I ordered some NOS m8100s because I want more warmth and hneyness. They should come next week and I'm hoping it will get me where I want to be. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #528 of 6,436

i notice lot of schiit products are "really good and worth buying" kinda like how christians say "prove god doesn't exist!" 

This statement... just wow. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #529 of 6,436

Vali 2 doesn't have a super tubey sound. It definitely sounds warmer than my magni 2, especially with certain tubes, but its not going to sound like a true 100% tube amp.

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #530 of 6,436
Thanks for the opinions guys. Yeah, I'm aware the Vali 2 doesn't have super tubey sound. But as Letmebefrank mentioned, it is warmer than a Magni. Ether is super detailed oriented and neutral, so I thought a little warmth would be a good combination, while remaining somewhat neutral.

My other choice is a Little Dot I+, which I've read has a much better tube sound in comparison. Does anyone have direct comparisons? My options are a bit limited due to the Ether Cs low impedance of 23 Ohm.

Jun 23, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #531 of 6,436
  Tbh I was pretty disappointed with the vali 2. It's a good amp as far as amps go, but it doesn't really have a tubey sound, and even though schiit brags about 60w plate voltage, that's nothing compared to how most OTL amps are pushing 550+ watts, so really the tubes aren't doing much but besides glowing :S I've tried a few mullard and electro harmonix tubes, but I honestly couldn't tell much difference, and you can't truly a/b different tubes because by the time you take one off and put the other one in and turn the amp back on, your brain has already forgotten the difference, and you just kinda assume it sounds different based on the general characteristics people say about the said tube - i notice lot of schiit products are "really good and worth buying" kinda like how christians say "prove god doesn't exist!" 

I recently got a littldot mk3, and I actually like it quite a bit even with the stock tubes. It has a nice smooth sound with a bit of tubey echo, though I ordered some NOS m8100s because I want more warmth and hneyness. They should come next week and I'm hoping it will get me where I want to be. 

It's both tube and headphone dependent.

Some headphones would require a very warm set-up to give you the typical tube sound, others don't.

Most 9 pin Noval tubes like the 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes, are not, to my ears, typically 'tubey' in sound. One exception is the Russian 6N6P. It may be no co-incidence that the LD3 uses this tube as its power tube and you find the LD3 closer to the tube sound you are seeking.

I find Octal tubes can be much warmer/euphonic and for me can provide that lush warmth that I associate with a typical tube sound.

My Vali2 can handle 0.6A current draw and so can use octal 6SN7 type tubes. These will probably be better for you. You would require a 6SN7 to ECC88 adapter and an ECC88 socket saver though.

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #533 of 6,436
Got my Genalex Gold Lion E88CC / 6922 tube today. Tried it out and there wasn't *that* much a difference in comparison to the stock 6BZ7 6BQ7A Canada tube I got with the Vali 2. Or maybe it just took so long to change the tubes that I couldn't do a decent comparison XD

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #534 of 6,436
Got my Voskhod '75 and compared it to the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC / 6922 (which I don't think sounds similar to the stock Canadian tube that I got anymore). The latter sounds more precise and the former had a "better" bass? something like that. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #535 of 6,436
Got my Voskhod '75 and compared it to the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC / 6922 (which I don't think sounds similar to the stock Canadian tube that I got anymore). The latter sounds more precise and the former had a "better" bass? something like that. 

I ran my 75 for 100 hours straight using Jango internet radio because I was breaking in a new headphone cable. It sounded much better after 100 hours. I have a recabled Massdrop Fostex coming that I am going to break in the same way also using my other 75 Voskhod.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #538 of 6,436
I would love to know what a "tube sound" is like.
I have a Vali 2 and I would like to know what tube you'd recommend o get a "tubey" sound.
Not too expensive please, I just want to get an idea of what it's all about.
Thanks!

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #540 of 6,436
By the way folks, don't bother contacting Schiit about tube compatibility with the Vali2. Shortly after I bought my V2 I asked about a certain tube and Nick told me to research tubes in places like Head-Fi.org. Last week I asked about a couple of other tubes and haven't heard back from them. I re-sent the email earlier this week...notta, nothing. Nice, eh? Not a great way to treat a good customer (Magni, Modi, Magni 2U, SYS, Bifrost Uber, 4490 card and Bifrost MB).

Conversely Jeremy from Garage 1217 promptly answered all, of my tube questions and I haven't bought a thing from him...YET.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back