Vali 2 tube rolling
May 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #496 of 6,436
If there is any interest, I still have a packet of tubes for sale.

May 6, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #497 of 6,436

Pope, Phillips and Amperex are all the same company. There are 6922s made in Holland and also the USA The older the better. Look for white labels. Do not be afraid to buy an Amperex or other name brand tube  that is labeled as another brand from a reputable tube seller like Brent Jesse or Tube World. Tube World has some used but still good tubes for decent affordable prices. I ordered two 6CG7s from Tube World and talked to Brendan last night. One of them crapped out when he went to test it again before shipping to me. He upgraded me to a better tube that was $10 more, but did not charge me extra. The best thing is that you only need one tube for Vali. Try to get 1 to 2% match between triode sections since its only a one tube amp.. 

Thanks!  I'm learning quite a bit here --  I was a bit overwhelmed when I first started browsing online tube catalogs,  being that there's just so many to choose from, and it's hard to know where to start for a newbie :) .. I appreciate you guys helping me narrow it down. 

May 9, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #498 of 6,436
Getting excited. My Audioquest Carbon USB cable arrived yesterday and my 6CG7 tubes arrived today. Boy are those tall. Here's a pic of some of my tubes that I am going to roll along with one of my 6CG7s.

May 9, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #499 of 6,436
Getting excited. My Audioquest Carbon USB cable arrived yesterday and my 6CG7 tubes arrived today. Boy are those tall. Here's a pic of some of my tubes that I am going to roll along with one of my 6CG7s.

Can you let us know how you go comparing the rca 6cg7 tube with rest there. Definitely taller than the other tubes.

May 10, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #500 of 6,436
Audio quest Carbon cable did not work. Thankfully I had my good old Gold Belkin. Listening to stock tube through HD 25 Alu. and sounds quite good, but i need to switch to HD 600s later  and change tubes back and forth with the Sylvania 6CA7. 

May 10, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #501 of 6,436
Original "made in Canada" tube is bassey and kind of a haze over the sound. Makes a nice initial impression. 

Next up is an Amperex D getter 6922 and listening to Martina McBride , Caribou, Garth Emery and some Armin, its MUCH better. No haze, tighter, deeper bass. Clear vocals. This combo sounds like my just sold Lyr and Bifrost Uber. Damn good. This might be The Tube. Next up the RCA 6CG7.

RCA 6CG7 does not have as much gain as the Amperex. When I increased volume it began to sing sweetly. Maybe not as deep bass as Amprex and not as dynamic, but nice tube in the Vali Next up is a Siemens 6922

May 10, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #502 of 6,436
  Audio quest Carbon cable did not work. Thankfully I had my good old Gold Belkin. Listening to stock tube through HD 25 Alu. and sounds quite good, but i need to switch to HD 600s later  and change tubes back and forth with the Sylvania 6CA7. 

Lovely stack there, have fun! :D

May 11, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #503 of 6,436
The Siemens has confused me . It sounds real good like the Amperex so I will listen some more today. I am only going to test and report on normal obtainable tubes here. I see no reason to report on My telfunken and Siemens CCas as they cost much more per tube than this Schiit stack

May 11, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #505 of 6,436
  any recommendation for proper tube for hd800?

Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 / 6FQ7 is not terribly expensive.
Telefunken E88CC / 6922 is a little more upscale 
cool.gif

May 11, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #506 of 6,436
I am and have been listening to my stack with HD 600s w/ Toxic Audio Silver Poison cable. Doing a refresher review just using two songs for each tube from iTunes on my Mac Mini recorded and stored in Apple Lossles format. Bob Moses, "Like it or not" and Martina McBride, "Wild Angels" 
Surprise, The 6CG7has the most and deepest bass and is just as sweet and clear as the Amprex. The Simmens is a very close third having a touch less and not as articulate bass.

May 15, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #507 of 6,436

A bit of overkill for the Vali, but it sounds SOOOOOO great!!

May 22, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #509 of 6,436
You have got to be Schiiting me!!!!!!!  So, I got a WyWires Red headphone cable for my AKG 702s and Alex tells me they need 100 hours of burn in. So I thought that I would find a nice cheap tube to do break in duty. I have a very old pair of Sovtek Russian 6922s. Just the thing!! Take out Tel CCa and insert Sovtek. WOW!! who would have thought!! This is a much more lively, dynamic tube. !! Got puter on Jango playing Trance, House and Dubstep. 

May 22, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #510 of 6,436
  You have got to be Schiiting me!!!!!!!  So, I got a WyWires Red headphone cable for my AKG 702s and Alex tells me they need 100 hours of burn in. So I thought that I would find a nice cheap tube to do break in duty. I have a very old pair of Sovtek Russian 6922s. Just the thing!! Take out Tel CCa and insert Sovtek. WOW!! who would have thought!! This is a much more lively, dynamic tube. !! Got puter on Jango playing Trance, House and Dubstep. 

LOL Crazy it is, indeed. I refuse to believe that my 'inexpensive' Russian 6N23Ps (Reflectors) are better sounding than my ~$380 pairs of Telly E88CCs but... when I do listen to the Tellies I do miss the fuller, more articulate low end of the 6N23Ps, and they may even best the Tellies with slightly cleaner highs. Both are great tubes, but the low end of the Reflectors just brings it closer to reality for me, and yes, it does appear to be more dynamic. (The 6N23P was/is the Russian version of the 6DJ8/6922.)
With the pairs I am comparing they are both dead quiet with 2% matched triodes and <5% matched tubes, so it's not a question of pair quality. The REFL 6N23Ps I have are from the '70s, but I think the later Sovteks come from the same Saratov Reflector factory.
The Vali2 is a great little amp! I do listen to my other Schiit tube amps most of the time but the Vali2 is very good, especially when fed with Schiit Multibit. (It just doesn't have the full blown stage image that the others have.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back