Vali 2 tube rolling
Apr 21, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #481 of 6,436
  ahh i see, looks like the 6922 mallard tubes are 99$ each :O 

think ill go for these

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/JJ-E88CC-6922-Gold

they seem best reviewed for my price range and its described as warm and smooth :D 

I seem to be the bringer of bad news tonight-I don't want to be like that and we all hear stuff differently, of course, but personally speaking that tube is quite mediocre, to my ears anyway.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #482 of 6,436
well how about a DarkVoice 336SE Headphone Tube Amplifier? i hear that is one of the most respected tube amps out there :S if that doesn't give me the warm honey sound i want - i quit. its even called DARK VOICE... i mean c'mon....

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #483 of 6,436
Alright, first post to this thread in a while.  I'm re-rolling through my tubes now.  I had been listening to my 1971 Tesla E88CC Gold Pin, and enjoying it, and I decided to go back to the stock tube, a made in Canada badged 6B27.  The stock tube sounded very constrained and congested.  It just felt like it needed more elbow room, like my music was stuck in a bottle and couldn't breathe.  (I'm listening to PJ Harvey's Rid of Me on FLAC through my Gumby into my Vali 2, and then to my Grado RS1e's btw.)  Then I shifted again to my 1961 RCA 6BZ7.  For a 12 dollar tube, this thing packs a wallop.  It was just so night and day from stock when I plugged it back in.  The guitar strumming is much clearer, fuller, and detailed.  The overall sound is much much warmer than stock, and very thick and full.  I would say the Tesla was smoother with a similar sound stage, but not as warm.  I'm loving the way this RCA is treating distorted guitars, so warm and full.  I've got a vintage USA Philipps 6922 and a Genalex Gold Lion E88CC to re-roll through later, but for now I just can bring myself to pull the cheap little RCA.  For the price, this little tube ROCKS!

May 3, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #485 of 6,436
Any one here try a 6CG7 in your Vali 2? Mike Moffatt suggests that as a good tube. Its a bit large though. 

May 3, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #486 of 6,436
  Any one here try a 6CG7 in your Vali 2? Mike Moffatt suggests that as a good tube. Its a bit large though. 

I have. It's my favorite tube on the Vali 2. Very mellow and sweet. (I should mention my version was the new production Electro-Harmonix).

May 3, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #487 of 6,436

I have. It's my favorite tube on the Vali 2. Very mellow and sweet. (I should mention my version was the new production Electro-Harmonix).

I have one. IIRC, in my rundown of my acquired tubes in an earlier post, I believe I felt it was pleasant sounding but nothing particularly special. I have worse sounding tubes. It doesn't get any airtime. As always, YMMV :wink:

May 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #488 of 6,436
I'm able to get some 6cg7 down my part of the globe. How do these compare to 6dj8 series? Do these fit alright and how much power do they require?

May 3, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #489 of 6,436
Just ordered a RCA and a Sylvania 6CG7. They are almost as old as I am from the early 50s. To give you a hint of how tube crazy I am, I have not yet ordered my Vali 2

May 3, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #490 of 6,436
Just ordered a RCA and a Sylvania 6CG7. They are almost as old as I am from the early 50s. To give you a hint of how tube crazy I am, I have not yet ordered my Vali 2

Let us know how you go with it when you get your Vali 2. 

I might pick up a Haltron 6CG7 today, we'll see.

I also have a Philips SQ E88CC coming in soon too.

May 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #491 of 6,436
  Let us know how you go with it when you get your Vali 2. 

I might pick up a Haltron 6CG7 today, we'll see.

I also have a Philips SQ E88CC coming in soon too.

Ordered my Vali 2 today along with a Modi 2 Uber. I have lots of NOS 6dj8s, 6922s and 7308s to try. I was running a matched pair of Telfunken 6922 CCas in my Lyr before I replaced it .
Any one here traded in their ALO Island for a little Schiit stack?

May 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #492 of 6,436
   I've had my Vali 2 for a little over a week now, tis my first experience with tube amps / Tube Rolling. I had the EH 6922 at the ready when it arrived and definitely liked it better than the stock tube.  After reading this and other pertinent threads, I decided to go for an "end-game" tube, settling on the Pope PCC88 / 7DJ8  which was just delivered & installed today. The 6922 had really opened up after burning in, but the Pope certainly seems more pleasant to my ears even pre burn-in. (seems tighter, slightly more detailed) .. I picked up the platinum quality version from upscale for $75 .. 

Anyway, I'd like to get a few more of the 7DJ8 as backups for when this one fails, and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Bel and/or Philips brand PCC88/7DJ8 vs the Holland Pope,  and if there's really any noticeable difference between the brands?   I've heard a lot of praise for both the Bel and Philips ,  and though I'm not sure about the price on the Bel, the Philips is substantially cheaper ($35 less than the Pope) ..

Also, I understand I need to give this 100 hours of burn-in before I experience the final sound-signature;  so I'm wondering if simply leaving the amp  on all night will accomplish this; or should I leave it playing music all night?

(p.s., My gear = HD 600, Modi 2 Uber and Vali 2 ,  with Flac CD and SACD rips through foobar wasapi event  as my main source w/ inexpensive USB + rca cables picked up from walmart)

May 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #493 of 6,436

Pope, Phillips and Amperex are all the same company. There are 6922s made in Holland and also the USA The older the better. Look for white labels. Do not be afraid to buy an Amperex or other name brand tube  that is labeled as another brand from a reputable tube seller like Brent Jesse or Tube World. Tube World has some used but still good tubes for decent affordable prices. I ordered two 6CG7s from Tube World and talked to Brendan last night. One of them crapped out when he went to test it again before shipping to me. He upgraded me to a better tube that was $10 more, but did not charge me extra. The best thing is that you only need one tube for Vali. Try to get 1 to 2% match between triode sections since its only a one tube amp.. 

May 5, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #494 of 6,436

Anyway, I'd like to get a few more of the 7DJ8 as backups for when this one fails, and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Bel and/or Philips brand PCC88/7DJ8 vs the Holland Pope,  and if there's really any noticeable difference between the brands?   I've heard a lot of praise for both the Bel and Philips ,  and though I'm not sure about the price on the Bel, the Philips is substantially cheaper ($35 less than the Pope) ..

Also, I understand I need to give this 100 hours of burn-in before I experience the final sound-signature;  so I'm wondering if simply leaving the amp  on all night will accomplish this; or should I leave it playing music all night?

So far as I'm aware, being powered on is all a tube needs for burn-in. Music playing is for headphones (and the DAC? not sure).

The Philips branded PCC88s on upscale audio were manufactured in Electronic Industry Niš (usually shortened to "EI") in the former Yugoslavia (currently, Serbia). I did some reading on them, and there was some sort of "Technology transfer" from Herleen to EI. Exactly what that entailed (hardware? parts? personnel? expertise?), I can't seem to find out. Regardless, it's a very nice tube. When mine dies, I hope I can still find it in stock to buy another.

I've also got a Herleen PCC88 I picked up off of Ebay, a pinched waist "Miniwatt" (also really a Philips). The comparison between it and the EI tube is interesting. Right up front, I need to say that they're more similar than they are different, but if pressed for comparison: The EI tube has a more pronounced midrange and midbass, sometimes almost "oversaturated'.
Herleen sound in comparison is sometimes best characterized as pretty and delicate. The Herleen tube handles complex passages better. The EI has a wider soundstage and more holographic imaging. The Herleen is more accurate, detailed, and precise.

The Herleen tube is, all things considered, probably a "better" tube. But the EI is more fun. I know what it's giving me isn't, if I'm honest, 100% untampered with sound. it's distorting the sound... but in a way I find very aurally pleasing. It's just got an infectious toe-tapping "golly gee" quality to it. I go back and forth between my two Philips tubes, but spend significantly more time with the EI.

May 6, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #495 of 6,436

So far as I'm aware, being powered on is all a tube needs for burn-in. Music playing is for headphones (and the DAC? not sure).

The Philips branded PCC88s on upscale audio were manufactured in Electronic Industry Niš (usually shortened to "EI") in the former Yugoslavia (currently, Serbia). I did some reading on them, and there was some sort of "Technology transfer" from Herleen to EI. Exactly what that entailed (hardware? parts? personnel? expertise?), I can't seem to find out. Regardless, it's a very nice tube. When mine dies, I hope I can still find it in stock to buy another.

I've also got a Herleen PCC88 I picked up off of Ebay, a pinched waist "Miniwatt" (also really a Philips). The comparison between it and the EI tube is interesting. Right up front, I need to say that they're more similar than they are different, but if pressed for comparison: The EI tube has a more pronounced midrange and midbass, sometimes almost "oversaturated'.
Herleen sound in comparison is sometimes best characterized as pretty and delicate. The Herleen tube handles complex passages better. The EI has a wider soundstage and more holographic imaging. The Herleen is more accurate, detailed, and precise.

The Herleen tube is, all things considered, probably a "better" tube. But the EI is more fun. I know what it's giving me isn't, if I'm honest, 100% untampered with sound. it's distorting the sound... but in a way I find very aurally pleasing. It's just got an infectious toe-tapping "golly gee" quality to it. I go back and forth between my two Philips tubes, but spend significantly more time with the EI.

Thanks for the info! , Certainly sounds like you can't go wrong with the Philips. I'm currently doing a bit of research to find out whether it's worth going with the cryogenically treated option, but 
I've seen way too many mixed opinions on it, many seeming to think it's destructive to the audio signal. -- So I'll probably just end up going with the plain-jane Platinum grade and call it a day. 

The Herleen sounds like an interesting option as well, which I may add to the collection for when I want to change up the sound some. Sounds like it might be better for classical music....   I think I found the one you're talking about on Ebay for $99 ...

So many great options to pick from, I'm starting to see how this hobby can be dangerous to my wallet :wink: .  I almost regret not getting the Valhalla 2 instead of the Vali 2, which I'm starting to view as the "gateway drug" into tube amps.  On the other hand, I'd probably be better off to just stop browsing hi-fi gear catalogs and just enjoy what I've got .. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back