Vali 2 tube rolling
Jul 20, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #541 of 6,436
So, I defer to my fellow Head-fi'ers...is the Reflector 6H23p-EB 6922 tube compatible with the Vali 2?  If so and if there is someone who has it, how does it sound?  It's kind of pricey but I'm ready to splurge on a good tube that will blow my socks off.  I have the JJ E88CC gold pin and the Electro Harmonix 6922 (non gold pin) and they sound pretty darn good.  But then the stock Sylvania tube, to my ears, sounds pretty decent too.  I have to say that the Vali 2 is one terrific amp, I love it!

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #542 of 6,436
  So, I defer to my fellow Head-fi'ers...is the Reflector 6H23p-EB 6922 tube compatible with the Vali 2?  If so and if there is someone who has it, how does it sound?  It's kind of pricey but I'm ready to splurge on a good tube that will blow my socks off.  I have the JJ E88CC gold pin and the Electro Harmonix 6922 (non gold pin) and they sound pretty darn good.  But then the stock Sylvania tube, to my ears, sounds pretty decent too.  I have to say that the Vali 2 is one terrific amp, I love it!

From my research, so far as i'm aware everything in the 6DJ8 family works with the Vali 2, which includes the 6DJ8 itself (aka ECC88 and 6H23), the 6922 (aka E88CC), the 7308 (aka E188CC), the 8223 (aka E288CC), and the CCa. 

The 7v version of the 6D78, the 7DJ8 (aka PCC88), also works just fine with the Vali 2. My two most used tubes are both PCC88 tubes.

There are few other tube families that work with the Vali 2, but the 6DJ8 family seems to be the most used one here.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #543 of 6,436
Terrific Post! I want to know that as well.

Well you can Google 'Tube Sound' for some technical stuff but here's a link that is understandable;

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/why-tubes-sound-better.htm

I think of tube sound as warmer, more pleasing and less fatiguing on the ear than solid state - more 'vinyl like' in quality-but without any loss of detail and without the pops and clicks, of course.
Some hear better bass control/detail with solid state, but in my experience that's not necessarily true provided you chose your tubes carefully to match the rest of your system.
That means in most cases trying different tubes to suit your own ears, which is fun and can become a hobby in itself.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #544 of 6,436

Well you can Google 'Tube Sound' for some technical stuff but here's a link that is understandable;

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/why-tubes-sound-better.htm

I think of tube sound as warmer, more pleasing and less fatiguing on the ear than solid state - more 'vinyl like' in quality-but without any loss of detail and without the pops and clicks, of course.
Some hear better bass control/detail with solid state, but in my experience that's not necessarily true provided you chose your tubes carefully to match the rest of your system.
That means in most cases trying different tubes to suit your own ears, which is fun and can become a hobby in itself.

Thanks for the info!
So what tube would give me that in the Vali 2?

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #545 of 6,436
  Thanks for the info!
So what tube would give me that in the Vali 2?

Most tubes will give you a 'tube sound' in a well designed tube headphone amp but I can't be more specific than that for you personally as it depends on your set-up, especially your headphones, and also your own preferences for sound, not to mention your own ears.

You need to try for yourself and start with the stock tube and then read the various threads to see how your perception of sound compares with that of others. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #546 of 6,436
  Most tubes will give you a 'tube sound' in a well designed tube headphone amp but I can't be more specific than that for you personally as it depends on your set-up, especially your headphones, and also your own preferences for sound, not to mention your own ears.

You need to try for yourself and start with the stock tube and then read the various threads to see how your perception of sound compares with that of others. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Everyone seems to say that the stock tube in the Vali 2 doesn't really have a tube sound and even with an A-B switch I can't really tell the difference between it and a SS amp.
So I'm just looking for that tube sound.
The headphones I use are TH-X00 and DT770 250 Ohm. I also have the T40RP MK3 and the DT770 80 Ohm, but they're not in use with the Vali 2 (Although I could switch things around...)

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #547 of 6,436
  Everyone seems to say that the stock tube in the Vali 2 doesn't really have a tube sound and even with an A-B switch I can't really tell the difference between it and a SS amp.
So I'm just looking for that tube sound.
The headphones I use are TH-X00 and DT770 250 Ohm. I also have the T40RP MK3 and the DT770 80 Ohm, but they're not in use with the Vali 2 (Although I could switch things around...)

Some SS amps have tube-like qualities. Maybe you are comparing with one of those.
I don't know those headphones, unfortunately.
Have you tried Octals? You would need a 6SN7 to ECC88 adapter and an ECC88 socket saver but they have, in general, a warmer sound than many ECC88 tubes.

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #550 of 6,436
From my research, so far as i'm aware everything in the 6DJ8 family works with the Vali 2, which includes the 6DJ8 itself (aka ECC88 and 6H23), the 6922 (aka E88CC), the 7308 (aka E188CC), the 8223 (aka E288CC), and the CCa. 

The 7v version of the 6D78, the 7DJ8 (aka PCC88), also works just fine with the Vali 2. My two most used tubes are both PCC88 tubes.

There are few other tube families that work with the Vali 2, but the 6DJ8 family seems to be the most used one here.

With help from Jon at The TubeStore.com he suggested the Tesla E88CC Gold Pin as a "tubey" sounding tube. So yesterday I drove to Hamilton and purchased one. My current setup configuration is: X5ii (coaxial out) > Bifrost MB > Vali 2 > HD650. Straight out of the box it sounded very pleasing, ever so small roll off in the high frequencies, excellent clarity in the mids and very very good bass extension.

I left the system running for about 7 hours straight. Listening once again this morning and the sound seems nicely settled in. The high frequencies sound a bit more prevalent and clear now but easy on my ears (smooth luciousness) which is probably the biggest difference (improvement) over the JJE88CC gold and EH6922. I suspect that more hours are needed until it this tube hits its stride but I'm very happy with it. I was afraid that I might find a tubey tube sound to be a bit too syrupy sounding but it's a slightly warmer and less fatiguing version of the tubes that I already own.

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #551 of 6,436
  right on lol - so with tube amps will the difference be noticable? i know some people are anti-tube and want clear detailed sound but i really like the idea of tube amps and i much prefer a warm pleasurable sound, but when i see people say that they can't even hear a difference between ss amps and tube amps, it makes me worry. 

The difference with the Vali 2 (compared with pure solid state) was noticeable to me. I don't find it very warm or lush-- there's just some smoothness to it that is very pleasant. 

Edit: this is with the stock tube. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #553 of 6,436
By the way folks, don't bother contacting Schiit about tube compatibility with the Vali2. Shortly after I bought my V2 I asked about a certain tube and Nick told me to research tubes in places like Head-Fi.org. Last week I asked about a couple of other tubes and haven't heard back from them. I re-sent the email earlier this week...notta, nothing. Nice, eh? Not a great way to treat a good customer (Magni, Modi, Magni 2U, SYS, Bifrost Uber, 4490 card and Bifrost MB).

Conversely Jeremy from Garage 1217 promptly answered all, of my tube questions and I haven't bought a thing from him...YET.

I can understand the frustration here, but consider this: It would be a mistake for Schiit to come out an say this or that tube is good, better, best, etc. Tubes are very subjective and whether they sound good or not depends on many things such as what headphones you are using, what the tube specs measure as, and each person's individual preferences. Hell, the same tube design sounds different depending on the year it was made sometimes. There is really nothing Schiit could say to add to what has been written about tubes already. All it would do is create hype for whatever they recommend and end up inflating prices and disappointing people looking for something different. I think I'd rather they spend time focusing on their designs instead of answering the inevitable 1000s of questions about rolling tubes.

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #554 of 6,436
I can understand the frustration here, but consider this: It would be a mistake for Schiit to come out an say this or that tube is good, better, best, etc. Tubes are very subjective and whether they sound good or not depends on many things such as what headphones you are using, what the tube specs measure as, and each person's individual preferences. Hell, the same tube design sounds different depending on the year it was made sometimes. There is really nothing Schiit could say to add to what has been written about tubes already. All it would do is create hype for whatever they recommend and end up inflating prices and disappointing people looking for something different. I think I'd rather they spend time focusing on their designs instead of answering the inevitable 1000s of questions about rolling tubes.

I was simply asking whether a certain tube is COMPATIBLE with the V2, not how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back