Vali 2 tube rolling
Aug 14, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #556 of 6,436
I'm looking into getting a new tube with an emphasis on clarity. I've pretty much settled on the Genalex Gold Lion, but before I put the order through I've started wondering, I love the sound from my Vali 2 but am I now essentially trying to make my Vali 2 sound like it's SS? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #557 of 6,436
I'm looking into getting a new tube with an emphasis on clarity. I've pretty much settled on the Genalex Gold Lion, but before I put the order through I've started wondering, I love the sound from my Vali 2 but am I now essentially trying to make my Vali 2 sound like it's SS? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

ECC88/E88CC/6DJ8 Tesla, Tungsram and Amperex 'Bugle Boy' will give you, amongst others, plenty sweet clarity.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #558 of 6,436
ECC88/E88CC/6DJ8 Tesla, Tungsram and Amperex 'Bugle Boy' will give you, amongst others, plenty sweet clarity.

The bugle boy is more than I want to spend, but the Tesla and Tungsram are priced within my budget, with the Tesla being cheaper (and therefore preferred, assuming everything else is equal).
How do those tubes (Tesla and Tungsram) compare to each other and how do they compare to the gold lion?
Thanks!

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #559 of 6,436
The bugle boy is more than I want to spend, but the Tesla and Tungsram are priced within my budget, with the Tesla being cheaper (and therefore preferred, assuming everything else is equal).
How do those tubes (Tesla and Tungsram) compare to each other and how do they compare to the gold lion?
Thanks!

Don't know the Gold Lion but the Tesla and Tungsram are very similar to my ears. I could be happy with either.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #560 of 6,436
Russian 6H23Ps are very nice in the Vali too. Go to Ebay and look for 1975 Reflector or Voskhod. I have bought them from guys in the Ukraine and Bulgaria so far.  We are talking about $40 to 60 for singles or pair. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #561 of 6,436
With help from Jon at The TubeStore.com he suggested the Tesla E88CC Gold Pin as a "tubey" sounding tube. So yesterday I drove to Hamilton and purchased one. My current setup configuration is: X5ii (coaxial out) > Bifrost MB > Vali 2 > HD650. Straight out of the box it sounded very pleasing, ever so small roll off in the high frequencies, excellent clarity in the mids and very very good bass extension.

I left the system running for about 7 hours straight. Listening once again this morning and the sound seems nicely settled in. The high frequencies sound a bit more prevalent and clear now but easy on my ears (smooth luciousness) which is probably the biggest difference (improvement) over the JJE88CC gold and EH6922. I suspect that more hours are needed until it this tube hits its stride but I'm very happy with it. I was afraid that I might find a tubey tube sound to be a bit too syrupy sounding but it's a slightly warmer and less fatiguing version of the tubes that I already own.

Exactly my impressions with the Tesla E88CC gold pin as well. Perfect description! The small roll off in the higher frequencies is very welcome pairing the Beyerdynamic T90.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #562 of 6,436
Hey Kids--Modi Multibit inbound should arrive on Monday, so will post my thoughts forthwith.  Also ordered the Vali 2 along with, and have a few tube rolling questions.  The webSchiit says the tube has to be a matched double triode for that amp.  I'm intimately familiar with tube rolling from my Vinnie Rossi LIO as well as my little Marshall guitar amp but I have to admit I've never owned anything with a single matched triode.  Do I have to shake a gourd or dribble snake oil on it?

What tubes are ya'll using?  The website says:

"Vali 2 is supplied with a single NOS 6BZ7 tube, which can be swapped for the same tubes we use in Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2—feel free to use virtually any ECC88, 6922, 6DJ8, 2492, etc."

Do 12AX7 tubes fall into this category?  I have a few of these lying around from my Marshall preamp section.

Thx in advance!

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #563 of 6,436
  Hey Kids--Modi Multibit inbound should arrive on Monday, so will post my thoughts forthwith.  Also ordered the Vali 2 along with, and have a few tube rolling questions.  The webSchiit says the tube has to be a matched double triode for that amp.  I'm intimately familiar with tube rolling from my Vinnie Rossi LIO as well as my little Marshall guitar amp but I have to admit I've never owned anything with a single matched triode.  Do I have to shake a gourd or dribble snake oil on it?

What tubes are ya'll using?  The website says:

"Vali 2 is supplied with a single NOS 6BZ7 tube, which can be swapped for the same tubes we use in Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2—feel free to use virtually any ECC88, 6922, 6DJ8, 2492, etc."

Do 12AX7 tubes fall into this category?  I have a few of these lying around from my Marshall preamp section.

Thx in advance!

You can't use 12V tubes in Vali2, unfortunately.

With a suitable adapter and extender you can use 6SN7 Octals. Max heater current is 600mA for Vali2. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #565 of 6,436
7volt tubes from the 6DJ8 family (usually desinated "PCC88" or "7DJ8") work very well in the vali 2 as well.

You can often find PCC88s at around half the price that a ECC88 from the same factory/year would cost.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #569 of 6,436
Anyone know a good tube/ghetto tube rig for under $25 that'll pair nicely with the HD800s? From past posts it seems like the RCA 6CG7, EH 6CG7 or a Matsu****a 6AQ8 would fit the bill, but I'm curious if a better option is still out there. Ideally, something that'll lower highs/sibilance and raise bass.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #570 of 6,436
  Anyone know a good tube/ghetto tube rig for under $25 that'll pair nicely with the HD800s? From past posts it seems like the RCA 6CG7, EH 6CG7 or a Matsu****a 6AQ8 would fit the bill, but I'm curious if a better option is still out there. Ideally, something that'll lower highs/sibilance and raise bass.

6SN7GTB with socket saver and tube adapter = FrankinTube Vali 2.  I think this may be the sound sig you are after.  Works well with my T90.

6SN7GTB tubes are a value but you need the saver and adapter, a one time expense.  

YMMV, IMHO and all,

r2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back