Vali 2 tube rolling
Aug 27, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #571 of 6,436
  Anyone know a good tube/ghetto tube rig for under $25 that'll pair nicely with the HD800s? From past posts it seems like the RCA 6CG7, EH 6CG7 or a Matsu****a 6AQ8 would fit the bill, but I'm curious if a better option is still out there. Ideally, something that'll lower highs/sibilance and raise bass.

I would endorse r2muchstuff's suggestions and you may also pick up a Tung-Sol 'Mouse Ears' for the sort of price you had in mind viz:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Testing-TUNG-SOL-6SN7GT-Mouse-Ear-D-Getter-VACUUM-TUBE-TV-7-Test-6-1668-/152216545734?hash=item2370d029c6:g:IVkAAOSwdzVXvO9G

There are other possibilities for the type of sound you seek but you would likely pay more.

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #572 of 6,436

I would endorse r2muchstuff's suggestions and you may also pick up a Tung-Sol 'Mouse Ears' for the sort of price you had in mind viz:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Testing-TUNG-SOL-6SN7GT-Mouse-Ear-D-Getter-VACUUM-TUBE-TV-7-Test-6-1668-/152216545734?hash=item2370d029c6:g:IVkAAOSwdzVXvO9G

There are other possibilities for the type of sound you seek but you would likely pay more.

Aw man, didn't see that soon enough and someone else snagged it. Everything else seems like its below %80 for the same price at the moment, but I'll keep an eye out for a deal on one of those.

Also, what kind of adapter would I need for this kind of tube?

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #573 of 6,436
  Aw man, didn't see that soon enough and someone else snagged it. Everything else seems like its below %80 for the same price at the moment, but I'll keep an eye out for a deal on one of those.

Also, what kind of adapter would I need for this kind of tube?

You need a 6DJ8 socket saver and a 6SN7 to 6DJ8 adapter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-6SN7-TO-ECC88-6DJ8-6N11-6922-6N6P-tube-adapter-for-you-amp-/201079159018?hash=item2ed14078ea:g:3~sAAOSw9mFWLioO

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #574 of 6,436

You need a 6DJ8 socket saver and a 6SN7 to 6DJ8 adapter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-6SN7-TO-ECC88-6DJ8-6N11-6922-6N6P-tube-adapter-for-you-amp-/201079159018?hash=item2ed14078ea:g:3~sAAOSw9mFWLioO

Awesome, thanks! Although, now I'd be at the point where I'd be spending $45 on the tube and its adapter... So if another tube that doesn't require an adapter with a similar sound below that price point exists it would also be a considerable option for me. But from what reviews I've found of the Tung-Sol 'Mouse Ears', it really does seem to be what I'm looking for.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #575 of 6,436
Awesome, thanks! Although, now I'd be at the point where I'd be spending $45 on the tube and its adapter... So if another tube that doesn't require an adapter with a similar sound below that price point exists it would also be a considerable option for me. But from what reviews I've found of the Tung-Sol 'Mouse Ears', it really does seem to be what I'm looking for.

The Toshiba 7dj8 I mentioned earlier is $20

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #576 of 6,436
  Anyone know a good tube/ghetto tube rig for under $25 that'll pair nicely with the HD800s? From past posts it seems like the RCA 6CG7, EH 6CG7 or a Matsu****a 6AQ8 would fit the bill, but I'm curious if a better option is still out there. Ideally, something that'll lower highs/sibilance and raise bass.

I still have EH 6CG7 and EH 6922 for sale.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #577 of 6,436

I understand the cost issue, though once you have the adapter and socket saver you are then 'future proof' for rolling further Octals in the due course of time.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #579 of 6,436
Could someone with extensive tube rolling on this amp tell me how valid the claims are that this amp doesn't really exhibit much different 'tube sound' than say a magni 2? Is it the stock tubes that cause people to say this? Were you able to find a large difference between this with a good tube and an ss amp? Deciding between this amp and a Little Dot I+ for my K7xx

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #581 of 6,436
  Could someone with extensive tube rolling on this amp tell me how valid the claims are that this amp doesn't really exhibit much different 'tube sound' than say a magni 2? Is it the stock tubes that cause people to say this? Were you able to find a large difference between this with a good tube and an ss amp? Deciding between this amp and a Little Dot I+ for my K7xx

Yes, the Vali 2 does respond very well to tube rolling. It's a great little hybrid tube amp to get you started with tubes. And, yes, I have put a very large number of tubes and tube types through this amp.

Only requires one double triode tube, so each triode drives one channel. (Great way to hear each triode individually for a particular tube if you're interested in that.) Therefore any tube you use should be reasonably well matched triode to triode. That would typically mean within 10%, some dealers will label that as a 'platinum grade' tube.

So, yes, impressive little amp with great sensitivity to tube rolling. Can handle the 300mA heaters of the 6DJ8/E88CC group and the 600mA heaters of the 6N1P group. Lots of tube choices! Often I will use the Vali 2 as the first sound test when new tubes come in. And often with the K7XX, which is fine with this amp. Of course, the Lyr2, Valhalla2, and MJ2 will throw a larger soundstage/aural image, not surprisingly, but for quality tube sound at this power level and price point, I was impressed.

This topic is also currently under discussion in the "Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread." Might prove helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/790828/official-schiit-vali-2-thread/1515#post_12862472

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #583 of 6,436

Yes, the Vali 2 does respond very well to tube rolling. It's a great little hybrid tube amp to get you started with tubes. And, yes, I have put a very large number of tubes and tube types through this amp.

Only requires one double triode tube, so each triode drives one channel. (Great way to hear each triode individually for a particular tube if you're interested in that.) Therefore any tube you use should be reasonably well matched triode to triode. That would typically mean within 10%, some dealers will label that as a 'platinum grade' tube.

So, yes, impressive little amp with great sensitivity to tube rolling. Can handle the 300mA heaters of the 6DJ8/E88CC group and the 600mA heaters of the 6N1P group. Lots of tube choices! Often I will use the Vali 2 as the first sound test when new tubes come in. And often with the K7XX, which is fine with this amp. Of course, the Lyr2, Valhalla2, and MJ2 will throw a larger soundstage/aural image, not surprisingly, but for quality tube sound at this power level and price point, I was impressed.

This topic is also currently under discussion in the "Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread." Might prove helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/790828/official-schiit-vali-2-thread/1515#post_12862472

What do you mean when you say 'fine'? Would there be a better amp with this kind of sound under $200? thanks for all your info and help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back