Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 8, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #995 of 6,436
Nice job, should be a decent tube, but seriously, give this thread a good read once or twice. Lot's of good info on all kinds of tubes!

If you got the funds then go for it but you're looking to save a few bitcoins (LOL), a few hours of reading will help you nail down some killer tubes that shouldn't cost you much!

But try and give the stock tube a go so you can reference back to it with newer tubes!

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #998 of 6,436
Hi, new guy here.

I just received my Vali 2 today and haven't even gotten it set up yet. One I get it up and running I'll report back with my first impressions.

The tube which was supplied is labeled 6BQ7A / 6BZ7 USA. There are no other markings to indicate a manufacturer.

The great thing about buying a Vali 2 now is that it is $20 cheaper than it was originally. That's like one free tube!

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #999 of 6,436

Regarding those 5670 adapters: They are really inexpensive, and they take a LOOOOONG time to arrive (like 3-4 weeks). So if you ever plan to roll tubes outside the standard pin arrangement, go ahead and purchase the adapter ahead of time. If not, you'll be like I was: sitting there with a vintage 396a in hand having to wait weeks to plug it in and hear it!

Regarding the vintage Western Electric 396a tubes: The first one I purchased was ugly, worn out, and highly unbalanced (30/36), but it was super cheap ($20 shipped) and still sounds better than the stock tube.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,001 of 6,436
Funny story:

After months of searching for a bargain, I finally gave in and paid a ridiculous amount of money for a Western Electric JW 2C51 in top shape. It was shipped in an box that was comical large, and as I excitedly opened the package my five year-old asked “What is it Daddy?”

Without much thought, I said, “It’s a vacuum tube.”

After I retrieved the tiny white box from the ocean of packing peanuts and opened it up, a confused look came over his face. Then he said, “Daddy, I thought you said it was something for the vacuum cleaner?”

He fully expected it to be an extension for the vacuum cleaner hose! :beyersmile:

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,003 of 6,436
I recently purchased a Vali 2/Modi 2 Multibit combo from Schiit Audio and I've been putting it through its paces for the last 3 days. My set up is pretty basic:

Computer -> USB (Audioquest Forest) -> Modi 2 -> RCA (PYST cables from Schiit) -> Vali 2 -> HD650

I've tried the following tubes:

Stock Tube: 6BZ7 Canada
JJ Electronic E88CC
Electro-Harmonix 6922

The stock tube is OK, but underwhelming. Narrow soundstage, extension is meh, etc. It wasn't bad, and until I tried the other tubes, I was actually satisfied.

JJ Electronic was better than the stock (better extension across mids, bass, without any fatiguing highs).

The Electro-Harmonix is my favorite so far. Relatively airy presentation, separation, resolution, definition... it just has that je nais se quoi. It is hard for me to describe the difference - but the Electro-Harmonix just sounded like a more complete listening experience.

I'll stick with it for a while before I try anything else.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #1,004 of 6,436
got my Vali 2 a few days ago...after reading all this thread (fantastic one) I am ready to roll (Yep, intended).

I got two tubes coming, EH 6922 and one of those mysterious mitsus**ta of 7 volts.

AND the adaptor for the (I expect glorious ) Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z. (I will machine the cover of the vali to make it big enough)

soooo...as I said... ready to roll!

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-26_10-12-51.png
    upload_2018-1-26_10-12-51.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back