Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 29, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #961 of 6,436
Greetings,

I'm a bit new to tube rolling, I and am currently interested to try out a different tube, specifically the EH6922. I've stumbled upon this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/201493982849

Forgive my lack of research, but there is only one in quantity and it seems to be what I'm looking for plus 2 other tubes. Is this a good deal? And more importantly are these compatible with the schiit vali 2?

You may be able to use the 12AU7 with an adapter but the EL84 is a pentode with a heater current of 750mA and that won't be suitable.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #962 of 6,436
Oh wow, thank you, kind of feels like I dodged a bullet. I'm looking for something more warm I like the hum of the lower bass frequencies and I'm using a modi 2 which is connected to my pc via usb, songs are flacs / 320kbps mp3s and I'm using foobar2k with a graphic equalizer plugin
Go to tubedepot.com and look around. If you want warm, try the 6cg7. If that is too warm, try the 6922 or ecc804(they are inexpensive)

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #964 of 6,436
The 12au7 is a twelve volt tube. You would need an adapter and a 12 volt power supply for the heater

You can use a 12AU7 without a separate 12V heater power supply using this compact and inexpensive adapter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Gold...880670&hash=item2cb62f65e1:g:QRMAAOSwA3dYNUfL

Here's a photo of RCA 'clear top' using the above adapter. It has a rich euphonic character:

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #965 of 6,436
Oct 30, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #967 of 6,436
Replying to edit because I've only noticed it now.

Edit:
Oops, I just looked at the 12au7. 6922 are also available. Price for 3 6922 is fine, but why do you need 3?

Yeah it's a price for a lot of 3, so considering the fact one EH6922 costs about the same on amazon (plus shipping since I'm not from the states) I thought this might be a good deal. Even if I won't use the other two. I've tried searching on tubedepot. I managed to find the ECC804. However, I got multiple results for the 6922, some of which were rather expensive. Could you link me the exact one I should be looking for?

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #968 of 6,436
Yeah it's a price for a lot of 3, so considering the fact one EH6922 costs about the same on amazon (plus shipping since I'm not from the states) I thought this might be a good deal. Even if I won't use the other two. I've tried searching on tubedepot. I managed to find the ECC804. However, I got multiple results for the 6922, some of which were rather expensive. Could you link me the exact one I should be looking for?

https://www.tubedepot.com/products?utf8=✓&keywords=6922+eh

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #971 of 6,436
Try one of these - http://www.tubemonger.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=1229

Brand Spanking New, MINT NOS NIB 1970 Amperex/Philips PCC88 7DJ8 A-Frame Dimple Disc Getter Tubes with Dario Miniwatt Label. Identical DJH 40J2 Heerlen Holland Production Date Codes (first letter 4xxxx, 4=delta or left triangle for Heerlen Plant). Boxes are a bit fragile but the tubes are pristine. Very musical and desirable tube in the PCC88 family.

I have one and they are awesome. 50 bucks but you won't have to buy an adapter or another tube. I have half a dozen 20 dollar tubes I'll sell for 50 bucks so I can buy another, lol.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #972 of 6,436
I finally slogged my way through this thread, and I made quite a few notes along the way. I feel like I have an idea of which tubes are popular and generally highly regarded, but I’m left wondering a few things:

Am I right in thinking that the higher-end Telefunken tubes are best for jazz and classical, while the higher end Mullard tubes are best for rock?

Is there any one “no compromise” tube that excels at rock midrange/bass but also has the highs to expand the soundstage of my closed headphones without being analytical or fatiguing?

People clearly love the Western Electric 396a, but how does it compare to the better brands/grades of NOS 6922-type tubes in terms of sound signature and sound quality?

The WE396a also seems to be hard to find from any place that will sell a NOS single tube with any assurance of quality. At what price point is the 396a no longer worth purchasing, relative to the other options?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #974 of 6,436
I finally slogged my way through this thread, and I made quite a few notes along the way. I feel like I have an idea of which tubes are popular and generally highly regarded, but I’m left wondering a few things:

Am I right in thinking that the higher-end Telefunken tubes are best for jazz and classical, while the higher end Mullard tubes are best for rock?

Is there any one “no compromise” tube that excels at rock midrange/bass but also has the highs to expand the soundstage of my closed headphones without being analytical or fatiguing?

People clearly love the Western Electric 396a, but how does it compare to the better brands/grades of NOS 6922-type tubes in terms of sound signature and sound quality?

The WE396a also seems to be hard to find from any place that will sell a NOS single tube with any assurance of quality. At what price point is the 396a no longer worth purchasing, relative to the other options?

I used to hoard Siemens CCa and Telefunken CCa tube pairs for my Mjolnir 2 because they were the best sounding tubes I had ever heard. Then I tried the Western Electric "JW" 2C51 tubes (5670/396A equivalent) and was blown away. They had all the detail and clarity of the CCa tubes but had warmth and incredible soundstage as well. I sold all the pairs of CCa tubes and now I don't own a single 6922 tube. That's not quite true. I do have the 6922 tubes that came with my Mjolnir 2 and Vali 2.

The Western Electric "JW" 2C51 and 396A tubes are better than any 6922 tube I have ever heard and they cost quite a bit less. I spend no more than $100 per pair and often quite a bit less. I will never buy a high end 6922 tube again.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #975 of 6,436
6dj8 family of tubes is very popular, therefore good tubes are way overpriced these days. If you know how to use a soldering iron, give subminiature tubes a chance. I'm currently using a soviet mini dual triode, 6N16G-VIR, a special purpose, heavier version of 6,16b. All aspects of sound are better in comparison to the 6dj8 tubes I have tried, for a fraction of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back