Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 23, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #76 of 6,436
Anyone try the 6N23P in the V 2?

I think I may have just dethroned the EH 6922 with a Amperex gold pin 6922 PQ, Made in the USA, not Holland!!! Perhaps this is not a fair comparison as the EH is current production and the Amperex was, at least until today, NOS from 1967.

Good to actually use tubes I already own and have in pairs from long gone audio gear.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #78 of 6,436

For 13$ apiece I wouldn't hesitate one second. They are not the goldpinned ones though, but that shouldn't make any difference in terms of their sound quality or characteristics! E88CC/6922 tubes are a noticeable step up from the ECC88/6DJ8 ones. You'll enjoy them very much!

I did find a Tesla E88CC that is (I hope...) NOS..............we'll see when it arrives. I saw a listing from a US tube seller, Tube Monger, that said there were a lot of crossed swords versions that were relabeled trash with freshly printed boxes! This box looks like it has seen a little time and is a bit worn. Hope this one is the real deal (no crossed swords)

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #79 of 6,436
  I did find a Tesla E88CC that is (I hope...) NOS..............we'll see when it arrives. I saw a listing from a US tube seller, Tube Monger, that said there were a lot of crossed swords versions that were relabeled trash with freshly printed boxes! This box looks like it has seen a little time and is a bit worn. Hope this one is the real deal (no crossed swords)

Sure looks like the real deal to me. Mine arrived in the exact same blue - yellow box with enough wear to assure it's NOS. Even the E88CC printing looks exactly the same on mine. They are not ancient, "32" code means early to mid 1970's the state of the box is reassuringly something that seems 40 years old :wink: ... Another indication, maybe, that they are genuine: check the bottom of the tube, there should be a number embossed into the glass, mine is "12". I've also only heard the story about the reprinting with crossed swords. I have no idea how much more expensive the "military grade" Teslas are over the "standard" E88CC, but it's kinda sad that even in the price range of 25$ to 40$ tubes one already has to expect fakes around.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #80 of 6,436
there are plenty of fake tubes out there, one hat to be pretty careful, i'm not very knowledgeable at far as tube identification goes
i try to stick with established sellers (some offer returns), ask questions to the sellers, ask on tube threads here, and use some common sense
as the old sayings go  "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"  and "buyer beware"
i kinda look at tube buying like i look at lending money, i don't give what i can't afford to lose

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #83 of 6,436
You can never be 100% sure about a tube until you have it in your hand and examined it and then listened to how it sounds. Even an honest dealer can inadvertently sell a rogue tube.
Measuring tube characteristics on a tester may not pick up certain faults either, even if you believe the stated figures.
My golden rule is simply to never buy from a seller that refuses returns.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #84 of 6,436
being that the vali 2 uses the same tube type as the lyr, there is a wealth of information on the lyr tube rolling thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #85 of 6,436
  being that the vali 2 uses the same tube type as the lyr, there is a wealth of information on the lyr tube rolling thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers

I started this thread because I was interested in various tube impressions with this amp not that one. Now it seems everyone has run off. Thanks for the input there jaywillin.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #86 of 6,436

I started this thread because I was interested in various tube impressions with this amp not that one. Now it seems everyone has run off. Thanks for the input there jaywillin.

I like this thread more 
redface.gif

I promise to post - in the middle of a DAC transition, which now has been postponed by a snow storm large enough to be named after a whale.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #87 of 6,436

I'm still here mate.

I'm waiting on my telefunken and prrhaps another seimens.

I seem to be accumalating more 7dj8 tubes lol.

As for my philips 7dj8, well it just sets the benchmark for me. Just an amazing tube.

Right now, this very second...I have my synergy here folks. Just pure goodness coming from my x2.

I believe the vali2 will be hard to replace!

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #89 of 6,436
I put the stock tube back in. The EH 6CG7 was too closed in for my tastes.

I liked an RCA 6CG7 NOS, but only paid $5 for it.
I am a little suspicious due to the randomness of eBay - so the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7, with properly matched triodes, is what I'm going to try next.

BTW, I'm using HD800 as my primary headphone test. I did not like the original tube with the HD800.
When I get my DAC back in order, I'll try to characterize more.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #90 of 6,436
While Vali 2 specific tube info is fantastic, there are almost 600 pages of tube info at the the Lyr thread. I have used both threads to gain insight into what tubes seem to work and others that are just so-so. The more info the better!

I also find useful info at the Garage 1216 Ember tube rolling thread. Their amps use a single tube and many tubes (6 volt and not too current hungry) that work and are used in their amps work in the Vali 2 as well.

I will post later about some wacky tubes that I bought and is getting some rave reviews on that site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back