Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 26, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #107 of 6,436
I am very interested in the Philips 7dj8 ($40) but do you guys think it's worth it over the ($20 eh 6922). What are the sound differences?

I'd give them a try, no regrets! 

The sound of tube might be different from system to system!

Good luck!

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #108 of 6,436

Thanks for the info. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on tubes, especially since I found the EH 6CG7 so lacking, so I'm following this thread and will buy one or two based on the various recommendations. Not sure if I want to mess with an adapter but if there's a tube that's just stellar with the Vali 2 and requires an adapter, it might be worth it.

Following your posts on the HifiMan HE 400S thread got me to look into the Vali 2 so, Merrick, I thank you for that!

I think there are a ton of good 9 pin tubes that you could try w/o adding a tube saver (to clear the metal chassis lid) and adding an adapter...........6SN7 to 6922 for example.

You liked the EH version of the 6CG7 so perhaps you would like the EH 6922. It has a very nice extended top end w/o any ugly brightness (I think we both have HiFiMan 400S) nice mids, pretty nice bass and it's less than $20!

Another tube I own that sounds great in the Vali 2 is an Amperex PQ 6922. I was following 2 on E-Bay this morning and both sold for $30-$35.

I am fortunate to have lots of tubes I've used over the years in other audio gear, so unless I am going down a new tube rabbit hole ( Tesla E88CC, Visseaux 6J5G w/ adapter!) I'm using stuff I already own.

If you go the adapter route, the 6SN7 adapter would allow you to use an entirely new group of tubes from a few dollars up to $$$$$$$$$$.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #109 of 6,436
  Following your posts on the HifiMan HE 400S thread got me to look into the Vali 2 so, Merrick, I thank you for that!

I think there are a ton of good 9 pin tubes that you could try w/o adding a tube saver (to clear the metal chassis lid) and adding an adapter...........6SN7 to 6922 for example.

You liked the EH version of the 6CG7 so perhaps you would like the EH 6922. It has a very nice extended top end w/o any ugly brightness (I think we both have HiFiMan 400S) nice mids, pretty nice bass and it's less than $20!

Another tube I own that sounds great in the Vali 2 is an Amperex PQ 6922. I was following 2 on E-Bay this morning and both sold for $30-$35.

I am fortunate to have lots of tubes I've used over the years in other audio gear, so unless I am going down a new tube rabbit hole ( Tesla E88CC, Visseaux 6J5G w/ adapter!) I'm using stuff I already own.

If you go the adapter route, the 6SN7 adapter would allow you to use an entirely new group of tubes from a few dollars up to $$$$$$$$$$.

Thanks! It's cool to find people who have similar tastes that you can bounce opinions off of.

One point of correction though, I didn't like the EH 6CG7. I saw a few people here recommend it, and it was $25 shipped from Tube Depot, so I went for it. I found it to be too closed in for my tastes, even with an HD600.

What I'd like is a nice, open soundstage with good detail retrieval and slightly, but not excessively warm tonality. Something that gives me that tube tinge and makes me go, "Ah, this is why people prefer tubes over solid state!" I realize that may be asking a lot from low and mid-priced tubes, but I'm not going to spend more than the price of the amp on a tube for it.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #110 of 6,436

Thanks! It's cool to find people who have similar tastes that you can bounce opinions off of.

One point of correction though, I didn't like the EH 6CG7. I saw a few people here recommend it, and it was $25 shipped from Tube Depot, so I went for it. I found it to be too closed in for my tastes, even with an HD600.

What I'd like is a nice, open soundstage with good detail retrieval and slightly, but not excessively warm tonality. Something that gives me that tube tinge and makes me go, "Ah, this is why people prefer tubes over solid state!" I realize that may be asking a lot from low and mid-priced tubes, but I'm not going to spend more than the price of the amp on a tube for it.

Do by 'closed in' do you mean lacking detail?

It's always tough to choose a tube for someone else. We all hear differently and prefer one tone or sound over others. I bought a lot of tubes over the years to either find I.........liked them......didn't like them..............or didn't seem to matter.

I am a big fan of the Amperex house sound so I have quite a few Amperex 6DJ8, 6922 and 7308. Having said that, I had the EH 6922 around and gave it a spin. I was pleasantly surprised. It really was a very nice tube. Like your 6CG7, several folks seemed to like this current production EH 6922 tube. At $20 (or less) it might be worth a try. Any decent NOS or used Amperex, Tesla, Mullard would likely be more than $20.

Have you read 'Joe's Tube Lore' on the 6DJ8, 6922, 7308 family of tubes? He gives a pretty good overview and description of the 'sound' of these tubes. You can find it at FAQ at Tube Asylum (Audio Asylum)

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #111 of 6,436
By closed in I meant the soundstage seemed very narrow in width and depth. It was like being right on stage with all the musicians sitting right next to me while they played. The detail was actually a bit better than the stock tube but it felt too in my face to really appreciate it. Maybe the 6922 would fare better.

I'll have to take a look at the Joe's Tube Lore, thanks for the recommendation!

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #112 of 6,436
Hello folks. Wanted to chime in on some tube options. The great thing about the Vali2 , is that it only requires 1 tube. Which is a tube buyers dream when shopping for NOS , tubes.

NOS tubes can get ridiculously, pricey, when shopping for matched pairs. Wanted to add some choices to this thread, having rolled numerous, NOS tubes over the last year+ with my Lyr. My final destination(Valvo CCa yellow print).

Since sound is subjective, and preferences vary. Here's a list to consider if you want to try some awesome, NOS tubes.

Siemens, and Telefunken E88CC, E188CC, CCa. Neutral presentation. Some may say analytical. I found that both to my ears were dead neutral , tonally. But, what they deliver in sound is stellar! These are Soundstage/Holography, monsters. And the CCa variant being the biggest of the German bunch. Very articulate, airy tubes, with an intricate, detailed presentation, with massive controlled bass. Price on these generally fetches , $50 to $100 for a single tube. Last year I paid $300 for a used pair.

Valvo(Heerlen) E188CC, CCa, E88CC (Pinched waist 56to58). I'm also going to group the Philips Miniwatts E188CC in this category.
I'm a huge fan of Heerlen , tubes. These are hands down the midrange KINGS!
Folks, if you're into a seductive, immersive, full , rich , detailed sound. With all of the sonics that Siemens CCa has to offer. Don't hesitate to take the plunge. These tubes present music in the most natural way. They literally put you in a live venue. To my ears , these are the most holographic, tubes I've ever heard. Your body is literally running interference with the notes.
Now, what separates the Valvo CCa , from the minis is the bottom end to my ears. They incorporate most of what Mullard Blackburns have to offer, with the mini midrange sweetness. Be careful when shopping for these tubes. Heerlen tubes have the delta triangle in the codes. Here's a code pic:

Now as far as pricing. For the Valvos. I've seen them go for anywhere from $40 for a single , upwards of $300 for a 56 pinched waist. The closer you get to the 50's , the rarer , and more expensive they are. For the most part, they can be had for $60 to $70 for an early to mid 60's single NOS tube. Same for the Minis. As opposed to buying a pair which recently we watched an auction that went for $1800 , for a pair of Eindhoven CCa PW's :eek:

Mullard Blackburn 6922/E88CC(gold pin) & ECC88. Who likes butter on their popcorn? And lots of it? Lol. These tubes are the epitome of warmth. They have an organic rich tone which is immersive as well. Female vocals are ridiculous with these tubes. These possibly have the best bass presentation of any tube. If these had a even half the holography, and Soundstage of the above. They'd be in my rig. I highly recommend these tubes , with phones like Grado, Senn HD700 ,HD800, and pretty much every phone where treble may need some taming. Price on these is in the neighborhood of $30 to $60 for a single tube. I had 3 different pairs of these in the past and didn't pay more than $150 for a pair.

Some other reasonably priced and nice sounding NOS tubes:

ECC88 Amperex Orange Globes- Similar sounding to the Mullards. A little more detailed. Singles for around $20

6N23P Russian reflektor. PM @rb2013. He has numerous tubes to fit most sound sigs that people are shopping for. These tubes are hidden gems. Bob is the expert on them. I've had the 75 SWPG Holy Grails. They're still one of my favs.

PCC88 Valvo, Siemens- Not bad for the price. I had a pair of 1960's Valvo Herleens, so my experience is limited. People in the old Lyr thread rave over them.

Well folks. I hope this helps if anyone is new to tube rolling. Of course this is all subjective and YMMV. Stop by the Lyr thread if you have questions. Lots of people over there eager to help in any way.

Cheers, and Happy Rolling

:beerchug:

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #114 of 6,436
  @Guidostrunk thanks for the excellent summary! It sounds like those Valvo/Philips Miniwatt Herleen plant tubes are exactly what I'm looking for. Do you know of a good source for them or you just check ebay from time to time?

Herleen is 'Holland' Philips production. You can also find Amperex tubes with Herleen production but the Philips 'branded' (Herleen plant) may cost a bit less.

Anything CCa, 'pinched waist' or 188CC will likely be WAY more $$$ than you may want to spend for 1, 9 pin tube going in a Vali 2. If you can find one in this group (that @Guidostrunk has seen) for $40 snag it.........I have a feeling that you may have to search for a deal that good but I haven't looked lately.

Edit: just did an E-Bay search for E188CC...................hang on to your wallet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sure to check Joe's Tube Lore as well. We all have opinions and our favorites!

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #115 of 6,436

Octals should provide the sound you crave. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #119 of 6,436
Merrick......did you get a chance to read Part 1 and Part 2 of Joe's Tube Lore at Audio Asylum describing the 6DJ8, 6922, 7308 tubes?

Yes, a new group of would open using octal tubes, but you didn't seem too excited about adding adapter(s).

Between Joe's Tube Lore and Guidostruck's thoughts on these 9 pin tubes (w/o a converter) there are some really nice tubes that would work for you. I have bought some great tubes and some clunkers over time and that's the nature of tubes in audio gear. as always, YMMV!!!

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #120 of 6,436
@nwavesailor I did read Joe's article, thank you! I'm not sure I'm going to jump into octals, I was just curious what the options were.

With @Guidostrunk's help I've got my eye on a few reasonably priced tubes that don't require an adapter. If I manage to get any and I like the sound, I doubt I'll pursue octals. On the other hand, it's never bad to have more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back