Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #46 of 6,436
  i have, its a very nice tube
i've had a couple of pairs, the best i had were NOS, crossed sword, mid-60's maybe 

I ordered one, NOS made in the early 70's with the "32" designation (these are the ones made in the original factory, the later ones are labelled "37"), white printing, gold pins without the crossed swords (they are the military grade ones)  ... looking forward how they match the Beyerdynamic T90's. I think you got the best ones, @jaywillin ...

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #47 of 6,436

I ordered one, NOS made in the early 70's with the "32" designation (these are the ones made in the original factory, the later ones are labelled "37"), white printing, gold pins without the crossed swords (they are the military grade ones)  ... looking forward how they match the Beyerdynamic T90's. I think you got the best ones, @jaywillin ...

yeah, there were very good, and relatively cheap, very close to a telefunken to my ears
mine had the yellow printing , similar to these, i had them in my lyr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-NOS-TESLA-E88CC-ECC88-E188CC-6922-Matched-Pair-Gold-Pin-/301830222060?hash=item46467bb0ec:g:JBYAAOSw9mFWJwk~

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #48 of 6,436
  yeah, there were very good, and relatively cheap, very close to a telefunken to my ears
mine had the yellow printing , similar to these, i had them in my lyr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-NOS-TESLA-E88CC-ECC88-E188CC-6922-Matched-Pair-Gold-Pin-/301830222060?hash=item46467bb0ec:g:JBYAAOSw9mFWJwk~

I couldn't convince myself there was any difference in sound between the 32 and 37 types using several headphones, though I don't have the T90's.
I find them very clean, sweet and clear, reproducing  instrument timbre extremely well. They are my favourite 9 pins for solo piano.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #49 of 6,436

I couldn't convince myself there was any difference in sound between the 32 and 37 types using several headphones, though I don't have the T90's.
I find them very clean, sweet and clear, reproducing  instrument timbre extremely well. They are my favourite 9 pins for solo piano.

I guess there shouldn't be any noticeable difference between the 32's and 37's. Even though Tesla switched factories somewhen during the 1970's it should be obvious they moved all tools and machinery, so the 37's should be produced to the same standards. I was referring to a difference between the military grade Teslas (crossed swords) that jaywillin had in use, and the 'standard' E88CC's (without the crossed swords). I read somewhere, that the military grade tubes were produced to different standards, so it's possible they sound different.

But thanks for your feedback, HOWIE13, really looking forward rolling them into the Vali2 now.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #50 of 6,436

I guess there shouldn't be any noticeable difference between the 32's and 37's. Even though Tesla switched factories somewhen during the 1970's it should be obvious they moved all tools and machinery, so the 37's should be produced to the same standards. I was referring to a difference between the military grade Teslas (crossed swords) that jaywillin had in use, and the 'standard' E88CC's (without the crossed swords). I read somewhere, that the military grade tubes were produced to different standards, so it's possible they sound different.

But thanks for your feedback, HOWIE13, really looking forward rolling them into the Vali2 now.

Hope you enjoy them.
L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #51 of 6,436
I just popped in the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 that a few people here or in the main Vali 2 thread recommended. The soundstage is much smaller than with the stock tube, but it also seems to make detail retrieval a little easier. It feels a touch warmer as well, but the low end quantity is lessened. For $25 it's not bad, but I could probably do better by spending a little more to get some NOS tubes that aren't crazy expensive.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #52 of 6,436
  I just popped in the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 that a few people here or in the main Vali 2 thread recommended. The soundstage is much smaller than with the stock tube, but it also seems to make detail retrieval a little easier. It feels a touch warmer as well, but the low end quantity is lessened. For $25 it's not bad, but I could probably do better by spending a little more to get some NOS tubes that aren't crazy expensive.

I picked up my Philips 7Dj8 for $25 off a local Ebay'er. I'm still amazed by how this tube sounds, absolutely wonderful!

I also have a Telefunken 7Dj8 on the way too, grabbed off Ebay for another $25, looking foward to that tube as well!

Do some reading around and keep an eye out in your local area, you never know what you may find!

Good luck!

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #53 of 6,436
  I picked up my Philips 7Dj8 for $25 off a local Ebay'er. I'm still amazed by how this tube sounds, absolutely wonderful!

I also have a Telefunken 7Dj8 on the way too, grabbed off Ebay for another $25, looking foward to that tube as well!

Do some reading around and keep an eye out in your local area, you never know what you may find!

Good luck!

Is this the Philips you have?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCC88-7DJ8-PHILIPS-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-/260746635558?hash=item3cb5b5e926:m:mPAx84Kc1OEhVLPUymOfTZg

Thanks for any info.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #54 of 6,436
Jan 20, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #56 of 6,436
No worries, if you're starting out like me, check out the link below for a very informative read:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm 

Goes through all the 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 / Cca series and gives you an understanding of what the heck is going on in the part of the tube world!

Just as a reference, that's what mine looks like.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #57 of 6,436
  No worries, if you're starting out like me, check out the link below for a very informative read:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm 

Goes through all the 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 / Cca series and gives you an understanding of what the heck is going on in the part of the tube world!

Just as a reference, that's what mine looks like.

Appreciate the picture -though it looks like the magic word 'miniwatt' adds to the cost on eBay for some reason.
I've used 6DJ8 tubes before but never 7DJ8's. They're intriguing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back