Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 14, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #31 of 6,436
Can any tube experts out there recommended me a first tube . My headphones are the fidelio x2s. I'm looking for something that would bring the mids up front more I guess but still keep a nice warm sound and detail in the high end . Lol I don't know if this is thing or not . Lol just please recommendations

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #32 of 6,436
Can any tube experts out there recommended me a first tube . My headphones are the fidelio x2s. I'm looking for something that would bring the mids up front more I guess but still keep a nice warm sound and detail in the high end . Lol I don't know if this is thing or not . Lol just please recommendations

Well, I have the X2's and I must say that the combination is intoxicating! Such involving sound, I wouldn't have thought that a tube amp would ever pair well with the X2's but indeed they do!

I'm just a week or two in to rolling this tube that I've recently bought local through ebay...

More info on it here at upscaleaduio.com: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/philips-pcc88-7dj8/ 

Compared to the stock tube, I absolutely love this tube! It is an outstanding sounding tube especially for the money I paid!

The highs are sparkly and clear without any fatigue, the bass is so well textured and powerful compared to the stock tube and the mid's (oh boy!) are just captivating! Listening to albums like Eric Clapton 'Pilgrim' was a surreal experience! 

I'll be looking at Matsu****a, Mullard, Seimens and Telefunckens next, but this Philips tube will do me for a very long time! Also I'm loving that I'm using a Philips tube with a Philips Headphone, ohhhh the irony! :D

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #33 of 6,436
  Well, I have the X2's and I must say that the combination is intoxicating! Such involving sound, I wouldn't have thought that a tube amp would ever pair well with the X2's but indeed they do!

I'm just a week or two in to rolling this tube that I've recently bought local through ebay...

More info on it here at upscaleaduio.com: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/philips-pcc88-7dj8/ 

Compared to the stock tube, I absolutely love this tube! It is an outstanding sounding tube especially for the money I paid!

The highs are sparkly and clear without any fatigue, the bass is so well textured and powerful compared to the stock tube and the mid's (oh boy!) are just captivating! Listening to albums like Eric Clapton 'Pilgrim' was a surreal experience! 

I'll be looking at Matsu****a, Mullard, Seimens and Telefunckens next, but this Philips tube will do me for a very long time! Also I'm loving that I'm using a Philips tube with a Philips Headphone, ohhhh the irony! :D

So running a 7 volt tube works OK? Do you have to crank up the volume allot more or is the the same as the 6 volt?

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #35 of 6,436

So running a 7 volt tube works OK? Do you have to crank up the volume allot more or is the the same as the 6 volt?

The 7dj8 is running just fine, volume is still at the same ratio as before, if anything you'll notice that the tube doesn't glow as bright as say a 6dj8 or equivalent.

You're probably not to far off the mark, from my limited knowledge it shares the same characteristic as a Mullard but I don't have any other Mullard to compare except for a 12au7 series tube.

Other markings on the tube are "Miniwatt 024", might have a closer look later mate!

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #36 of 6,436
I noticed the Electro Harmonix 6cg7 doesnt glow nearly as much as my stock 6bz7.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #37 of 6,436

Hey Foxy...
wink.gif
I recommend the Electro-Harmonix  6922 EH.  If you do Amazon they have them there.  I have at this time 4 diff tubes.  The 6922 EH is clearly (there's a pun) the best of the lot.  Clear sounding, deep bass, crisp highs, forward vocals, it sounds absolutely perfect in my setup.  It should work well most everyone.  It has no weaknesses. It was a significant improvement over my stock tube.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #38 of 6,436
My only worry about buying the 6922 eh from Amazon is the triodes could be out of balance.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #39 of 6,436
My only worry about buying the 6922 eh from Amazon is the triodes could be out of balance.

Well, I'm not sure how important that is in a Vali 2 circuit. ?  And, how far out would it have to be before you'd notice any difference? What kind of difference? L & R channel output imbalance?  And there must be some sort of regulatory spec that determines what is ok for sale.  As in, what diff is too much difference to market them.

And if you read my post a ways back,  I have two of the 6922 EH tubes, one from Amazon, and one from Tube Depot that is balanced, and the Amazon one sounds the best.  So....  [shrug]

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #40 of 6,436

Well, I'm not sure how important that is in a Vali 2 circuit. ?  And, how far out would it have to be before you'd notice any difference? What kind of difference? L & R channel output imbalance?  And there must be some sort of regulatory spec that determines what is ok for sale.  As in, what diff is too much difference to market them.

And if you read my post a ways back,  I have two of the 6922 EH tubes, one from Amazon, and one from Tube Depot that is balanced, and the Amazon one sounds the best.  So....  [shrug]

I've had similar experience to you.
Way back tubes were tested before leaving the factory- I doubt they are now, and I don't think there are any industry specification regulations/standards as to the channel balance of tubes.
I  don't take much notice when a seller claims a tube is balanced. Most don't really know what they are assessing- cathode current emission, transductance, amplification-many don't even specify-they often produce a % figure from a tester which may bear no relation to how the tube actually sounds when in use. Testers themselves are inaccurate if not regularly standardised, and even then there are limits as to what you are able to standardise in a tester. 
You take pot luck when you buy a tube. The important thing is to use sellers who allow returns if you are not satisfied.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #42 of 6,436

Bit difficult to answer as we may hear sound differently but I would have thought a 6DJ8/ECC88 Amperex 'Bugle Boy' (Holland), or Mullard (Blackburn, UK factory) would be likely to please. Try for 1950-70's if you can as they are the ones I can vouch for personally, and beware fakes. Good luck.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #43 of 6,436
So far a NOS Bugle Boy from Holland is my favorite tube for the sense of realism and wider soundstage. The EH 6922 Gold sounds a lot like my Magni 2, crisp but not tube-like. I'm wondering if that will change over the weekend.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #45 of 6,436
  Does anyone have some experience with the Tesla E88CC gold pin? I guess this tube will be my first step up from the stock tube ...

i have, its a very nice tube
i've had a couple of pairs, the best i had were NOS, crossed sword, mid-60's maybe 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back