Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 23, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #676 of 6,436
My experience with that tube is exactly as you describe it. Personally, I would call it relaxed already, but that is just semantics.

The JJ standard pin sound a lot like Telefunkens to me, the Gold pins are fuller. I think these tubes are good starting points as they are easy to get and represent extremely good value.

These impressions are on the Lyr2 and Valhalla 2. YMMV

Thanks. I may check out the JJ. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #677 of 6,436
Got the Philips PCC88 recently and I'm thinking I may have made a mistake. I find that the tube has a pretty big bump in the mids. I'm using it with the Senn HD650, which is already strong in the mids. I'm finding the combo to be a bit too much. I can see where it could be described as "exciting" but I have to listen at pretty low volume.

I have about 150 hours on the tube. Does anybody else with experience of this tube think that running it for more hours might make the mids relax a bit, or is it as burned in as it's going to get? 

I'd give the gold lion e88cc a shot. Wonderful sound.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #680 of 6,436
That is the one tube I have not tried yet. I have decided to stop buying tubes though. I have reached the point where I totaled how much I spent and realized that I exhibited behavior consistent with an addict.

It's only a problem if you pay attention to it, I would just archive the email receipts and get another credit card! 

After all it's only money... to spend is human, to hear music at it's best is divine.

atsmile.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #681 of 6,436
It's only a problem if you pay attention to it, I would just archive the email receipts and get another credit card! 

After all it's only money... to spend is human, to hear music at it's best is divine.

:atsmile:

The problem with this hobby is that the only way that you know that you have gone far enough is to realize that you went too far.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #682 of 6,436
The problem with this hobby is that the only way that you know that you have gone far enough is to realize that you went too far.

It is not the money that bothered me, it wss the "unfillable mouth" behavior.(Lobha) It was not my best side. Hence, my previous post about my shame.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #683 of 6,436
  Got the Philips PCC88 recently and I'm thinking I may have made a mistake. I find that the tube has a pretty big bump in the mids. I'm using it with the Senn HD650, which is already strong in the mids. I'm finding the combo to be a bit too much. I can see where it could be described as "exciting" but I have to listen at pretty low volume.

I have about 150 hours on the tube. Does anybody else with experience of this tube think that running it for more hours might make the mids relax a bit, or is it as burned in as it's going to get? 

At 150 hours, it probably won't change much. To be honest, I wouldn't call a tube "exciting" if you have "to listen at pretty low volume." I would call that 'annoying,' there is some excessive distortion or resonance going on. Not a great tube, OK, but not great, and it does have a slight excess and diffusion in the upper bass/lower mids, and correct, combined with the HD650, it could be intolerable.

How old, or burned, are the HD650s?

I agree the Gold Lions are a step in the right direction (don't have the JJs), but they still have a full upper bass/lower mids, although better defined. There are some others that have a little less emphasis in that area.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #684 of 6,436

At 150 hours, it probably won't change much. To be honest, I wouldn't call a tube "exciting" if you have "to listen at pretty low volume." I would call that 'annoying,' there is some excessive distortion or resonance going on. Not a great tube, OK, but not great, and it does have a slight excess and diffusion in the upper bass/lower mids, and correct, combined with the HD650, it could be intolerable.

How old, or burned, are the HD650s?

I agree the Gold Lions are a step in the right direction (don't have the JJs), but they still have a full upper bass/lower mids, although better defined. There are some others that have a little less emphasis in that area.

The HD650s have about 350 hours on them.

My favorite tube so far has been an NOS Sylvania 6DJ8. However, I'd really like to find a current production tube that is as good. I don't like buying NOS tubes, they are either too expensive or iffy in quality and it feels like a form of gambling. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #685 of 6,436
The HD650s have about 350 hours on them.

My favorite tube so far has been an NOS Sylvania 6DJ8. However, I'd really like to find a current production tube that is as good. I don't like buying NOS tubes, they are either too expensive or iffy in quality and it feels like a form of gambling. 

I liked the Sylvania among my NOS tubes as well. Here is the final order my tubes ranked, for what its worth:
1. JJ Gold pin
2. NOS 7308 Mullard
3. NOS Telefunken E88CC
4. JJ standard pin
5. NOS Sylvania
6. NOS Phillips PCC88
7. NOS Toshiba PCC88
8. NOS Mazda ECC804
9. Electro Harmonix E88CC
10. GE 6bz7 (stock tube)

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #686 of 6,436
I liked the Sylvania among my NOS tubes as well. Here is the final order my tubes ranked, for what its worth:
1. JJ Gold pin
2. NOS 7308 Mullard
3. NOS Telefunken E88CC
4. JJ standard pin
5. NOS Sylvania
6. NOS Phillips PCC88
7. NOS Toshiba PCC88
8. NOS Mazda ECC804
9. Electro Harmonix E88CC
10. GE 6bz7 (stock tube)

Thanks, that's very helpful. 
smile.gif