1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Vali 2 tube rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by capt369, Jan 8, 2016.
First

Back
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
Next

Last
  1. thekorsen
    Well, I just recently got the Tung-Sol 6sn7 "mouse ears" tube. The soundstage feels vaster and the bass more present than the electro-harmonix 6922 tube I previously favored, so no regrets on leaping on it. If bass and stage depth is your goal, a tube like that might be a step in the right direction.

Also, if you don't have a vendetta against equilization or sound processing, I highly recommend trying OOYH (Out of Your Head) software for a better soundstage presentation and bass emphasis (this greatly depends on the chosen effect, the Ultima preset scratches both itches for me). I found that it does require some EQing to properly tune it to your headphone though, but the results when done right speak for themselves.

2. HOWIE13
    It's been my experience also that if it's warmth, bass and sound-stage you are after, in general, Octals perform better than 9 pin Novals.

3. JoeKickass
    My stock 6BZ7 Canada tube had some rattle and was microphonic (I could hear it if I tapped the glass with my fingernail)

but the EH 6922 is rock solid with not a hint of microphonics! Sounds nice too!

20161012_222714.jpg

4. dbaker1981
    image.jpg I got me a gold lion e88cc and have let it burn in for around 24hrs and man this thing is golden with the hd700's.

5. vcmusik
    I see what you did there...[​IMG]

dbaker1981 likes this.
  6. Grado Diesel
    I'm looking to do my first tube roll with my Vali 2. My cans are a pair of Grado SR80i's. I've got two tubes I'm thinking about getting: Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH Gold Pin and the
    Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC / 6922. What would you guys recommend? The Grados are easy to drive and could possibly benefit from a slight smoothening/roll-off of the highs.

7. caenlenfromOCN
    My gold lion tube e288cc arrived today as well everyone, lol

mine has been burning in for about 3 hours now. I have not listened it yet, but I looked at the innards of it, and the quality is 100x better just to the naked eye than my cheap $5 tube I was using from RCA... can't wait to hear these babies

@grado diseel i have the E-Harmonix tube arriving next week, will be comparing both with stock and posting my thoughts here late next week, or PM me if I forget, cheers

8. dbaker1981

I also have the EH as well. It is also a very good tube. A little more bright but still very nice.

JoeKickass likes this.
  9. Tuneslover
    You find the EH 6922 bright? To me it's the darkest tube I have in my V2.

10. dbaker1981

I find it a smidge brighter than my gold lion. But I probably said that wrong cause it's not really bright by any means.

11. caenlenfromOCN
    My golden lion tube paired with my Fostex T20RP Mark 3's is pure heaven. Made the vocals almost T50's level, bass is still insane love, increased sound stage which these cans struggled with before...

Golden Lion is life. Golden Lion is love.  Til the day I die ~

JoeKickass likes this.
  12. JoeKickass
    I joined the Gold Lion club! Sound is a bit fuller than the EH 6922, but they're both very good IMO.

I did a photo examination between the tubes I have so far and the internals seem to match the performance.

Left is the stock Canada 6BZ7, mid is the EH 6922, and right is the Genalex E88CC Gold Lion:
    DSC02822.jpg
    DSC028251.jpg

Here is a close up of the Stock vs EH 6922:
    DSC02825.jpg

And a close up of the EH 6922 vs GL E88CC:
    DSC02827.jpg

If you click the close up photos and then view the "original" resolution, look past the plate at the thin lines running across the "cathode" rods.
    I think that's the "grid" of the tube.

I notice the stock tube's grid wiring isn't nearly as fine as the EH or the GL, it also has much smaller plates, and the getter is much skinnier. 
    The EH and the GL almost look identical. I think the plate and getter are very slightly different but the grid + cathode look exactly the same to me.
    The wiring at the bottom for both the EH and GL also looks more precise than the stock tube.

Here's a diagram with names for the bits:
    12ax7_graphic.png

I'm sure that flimsy getter on the stock tube was at least partly responsible for the bad microphonics it had...
    It's kind of cool that you can examine a vacuum tube and get a good idea of the quality, try doing that with a semiconductor! (well without looking up the P/N)

13. dbaker1981
    Well I just pulled the trigger on a NOS Sylvania 6sl7GT with a adaptor. Now the long wait for shipping from china on the adaptor.

14. RickB
    Got the Philips PCC88 recently and I'm thinking I may have made a mistake. I find that the tube has a pretty big bump in the mids. I'm using it with the Senn HD650, which is already strong in the mids. I'm finding the combo to be a bit too much. I can see where it could be described as "exciting" but I have to listen at pretty low volume.

I have about 150 hours on the tube. Does anybody else with experience of this tube think that running it for more hours might make the mids relax a bit, or is it as burned in as it's going to get? 

15. KoshNaranek

My experience with that tube is exactly as you describe it. Personally, I would call it relaxed already, but that is just semantics.

The JJ standard pin sound a lot like Telefunkens to me, the Gold pins are fuller. I think these tubes are good starting points as they are easy to get and represent extremely good value.

These impressions are on the Lyr2 and Valhalla 2. YMMV

First

Back
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
Next

Last