Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 24, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #692 of 6,436
  Wow, looks like another FrankenVali! How does it sound?

Well.... I thought the 6sn7 was the best sounding tube on the Vali 2, but this...this takes another step(or even two) forward. It's even more spacious and 3D sounding, with deep punchy bass. It's an unused tube, so I will let it play for 30-50 hours before I will judge more on treble extension and air. But so far it's extremely good.

I played Paul Simons 50 ways to leave your lover, and the echo on the snaredrums in the beginning have never been so detailed and "real" as with this tube.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #697 of 6,436
Bought myself another 6SN7 tube / valve it arrived today, anyone know anything about these?

Must admit never heard of the make, though amused me slightly this tube / valve linked with a Schiit Vali 2.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #699 of 6,436
Has anyone had the chance to compare the Electro-Harmonix 6922 Gold and the Philips pCC86 tube?

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #701 of 6,436

I did google him, certainly a colourful character.

Looks like someone mispelled the tube name, makes me wonder if it is a Tung-Sol as also written.

I have two Tung Sol 6SN7 GTB and they sound excellent in the Vali 2.

Check the codes on the glass and construction of tube, you may need to research Tung Sol tube info or at least 6SN7 info.  Only way to be sure what you have.
Otherwise, just plug them in an listen to music.

r2

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #702 of 6,436

I did google him, certainly a colourful character.

Looks like someone mispelled the tube name, makes me wonder if it is a Tung-Sol as also written.

It has the Tung-Sol 332 code and the rest of the numbers probably indicate that the tube was made by the third shift of the day in the 37th week of 1963.

It's a very nice Tung-Sol tube -I use them quite a lot- euphonic and engaging for me.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #703 of 6,436

It has the Tung-Sol 332 code and the rest of the numbers probably indicate that the tube was made by the third shift of the day in the 37th week of 1963.

It's a very nice Tung-Sol tube -I use them quite a lot- euphonic and engaging for me.

Wow HOWIE13, thank you, it makes it about one year older than this foreign born celt. I do appreciate your efforts and advice.

Thank you
Ian

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #704 of 6,436
  Wow HOWIE13, thank you, it makes it about one year older than this foreign born celt. I do appreciate your efforts and advice.

Thank you
Ian

My pleasure. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #705 of 6,436
I got me a gold lion e88cc and have let it burn in for around 24hrs and man this thing is golden with the hd700's.

My golden lion tube paired with my Fostex T20RP Mark 3's is pure heaven. Made the vocals almost T50's level, bass is still insane love, increased sound stage which these cans struggled with before...

Golden Lion is life. Golden Lion is love.  Til the day I die ~

I joined the Gold Lion club! Sound is a bit fuller than the EH 6922, but they're both very good IMO.

I did a photo examination between the tubes I have so far and the internals seem to match the performance.

Chalk up another Gold Lion fan.  Although I already have these..

Stock - ITT 6BQ7A (Japan)
            JJ6922 / E88CC
            EH- 6922  (2)
            Tesla E88CC
            EH- 6CG7
            National 7DJ8
            BEL E88CC NOS tube made in India in the late 60s/early70s (a Philips clone)

I was itchin' to try something else.
biggrin.gif

I've been using the BEL pretty much exclusively for the past 6mos or so. I've gone back occasionally to experiment with some of the others, but usually put the BEL back in there in short order. It's been the best sounding tube I have for my HE-400i's without question. 

I got the Gold Lion about a week ago.  I instantly liked what I heard.  It was a fuller sounding tube, bigger soundstage.  This, was after only about 10 min of warmup though.  I listened to a couple albums. But I noticed there was a veil, especially noticeable with vocals.  I put the BEL tube back in to confirm it. Yep!  The BEL tube is soo clean, clear and forward sounding.  Although sometimes a little sharp, with the somewhat bright sounding 400i's.

I put the Gold Lion back in the Vali 2 and left it burn in overnight. When I got back, probably 15 hrs or so to give it another listen, the veil was all but gone! It just opened up to a great soundstage, improved bass response, and nice and smooth sounding overall. And bit warmer. Top end was just perfect. It sounds more tubey, than the BEL for sure.  It really matches up nicely with the 400i's as they are fast and sometimes a little bright if you're not careful with what you're pairing with. The more tubey sound really improved them for the better. They are not noted for having much soundstage either. ++  I think it's a great match.

I've been going through some of my collection and it's like they say, it's almost like hearing it for the first time. again! :) 

Given the price of the BEL, the Gold Lion is now my recommended tube for those looking for an upgrade to the stock one.

I'm really liking it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back