Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 18, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #1,726 of 6,436
Hello Vali lovers!

Im new on this forum and new with tube rolling
I was wondering if ECC83 and ECC82 tubes will work with the VALI 2.
Maybe with adapters?

In the meantime I have some other tubes and adapters on the way to start rolling.
Thanks for your great advise in this thread sofar!

-D4nnyF3nt0m

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #1,727 of 6,436
Hello Vali lovers!

Maybe with adapters?

In the meantime I have some other tubes and adapters on the way to start rolling.

-D4nnyF3nt0m
Yes, both will work with a 12au7 to 6922 adapter (ebay). While you're shopping for adapters you might as well pick up a 6sn7 to 6922 adapter and a socket saver because you'll really want to try out that 6sn7 tube.

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #1,729 of 6,436
Thanks for the advice.
I read the whole thread twice and I ordered that adapter and socket saver a few days ago.
Also ordered a nice Foton 1953 Ribbed and some Russian Voshkod 6N1P-EV.

If only the VALI 2 was on stock in europe hahaha.
You should add a Tung-Sol 6sn7gt "mouse ears" to your list, you won't be disappointed.:)

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #1,730 of 6,436
Hello Vali lovers!s

Maybe with adapters?

-D4nnyF3nt0m
You can use ECC82 (12AU7) tubes if you get a 6922 (pins) to 12AX7 (sockets) adapter . While you could use ECC81(12AT7) and ECC83(12ax7) with this adapter, the specs are not the same. !2AU7 tubes are a fairly close sub as long as you use the adapter. The 12 series are 12 volt and the 6922/6DJ8 are 6 volt, the adapter combines the 12 series heater in parallel to sum to a 6 volt heater. If you look at the Schiit sight, it says just about any tube that has a 6 volt heater and draws less than 600 mA or less heater current and you can use it with the appropriate pin out or adapter to 6922 pin's. Many people use the 6SN7 series of tubes, you need a 6922 to 6SN7 adapter, you also need a socket saver to allow this to be used.
Now you can use an ECC82, it may or may not sound good because the specs are not the same.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #1,731 of 6,436
This may sound strange but I just wanted to thank basically who contributed to this thread; I picked up a Vali 2 after reading through it.

I received it the other day along with a genelex and electro harmonix tubes and look forward to trying some of the other recommendations in this thread. So far even though this is just a hybrid tube amp it definitely has a bit more warmth to it than the solid state amps I/ve used up to this point.

Jan 18, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,732 of 6,436
This may sound strange but I just wanted to thank basically who contributed to this thread; I picked up a Vali 2 after reading through it.

I received it the other day along with a genelex and electro harmonix tubes and look forward to trying some of the other recommendations in this thread. So far even though this is just a hybrid tube amp it definitely has a bit more warmth to it than the solid state amps I/ve used up to this point.
If it's warmth you're looking for don't be afraid of using adapters. The 12au7 from Electro-harmonix (I'm listening to it now.) has a rich sound with good bass. It's pretty cheap, but requires a 12au7 to 6922 adapter. For an even warmer sound any of the available vintage Tung-Sol 6sn7s will do. Again a 6sn7 to 6922 adapter plus a socket saver will be needed.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #1,733 of 6,436
If it's warmth you're looking for don't be afraid of using adapters. The 12au7 from Electro-harmonix (I'm listening to it now.) has a rich sound with good bass. It's pretty cheap, but requires a 12au7 to 6922 adapter. For an even warmer sound any of the available vintage Tung-Sol 6sn7s will do. Again a 6sn7 to 6922 adapter plus a socket saver will be needed.
Nice, thank you for the information! I assume you mean something like the following:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Conver...88-6922-Tube-DIY-Adapter-Socket-/232415799770

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #1,734 of 6,436
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #1,738 of 6,436
Hi,

I recently noticed a channel unbalance that didn't exist before and I wondered if it can comes from the tube ?

I have an Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH Gold Pin I bought with low microphonic and balanced triodes options.

I thought it would be a good occasion to roll for a Tung-Sol 6sn7gt, new production since no mouse ears are available. Do you think it could fix it ?

I also saw on TubeDepot that you can select the a high gain tube for $2. Since I mostly use the Vali 2 in high gain (I read a few times that it's recommended and sounds better as well as for a better tube "effects"), Is it better to take a high gain one what will be the diofferences ?) ?

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,739 of 6,436
Hi,

I recently noticed a channel unbalance that didn't exist before and I wondered if it can comes from the tube ?

I have an Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH Gold Pin I bought with low microphonic and balanced triodes options.

I thought it would be a good occasion to roll for a Tung-Sol 6sn7gt, new production since no mouse ears are available. Do you think it could fix it ?

I also saw on TubeDepot that you can select the a high gain tube for $2. Since I mostly use the Vali 2 in high gain (I read a few times that it's recommended and sounds better as well as for a better tube "effects"), Is it better to take a high gain one what will be the diofferences ?) ?

Thanks.

If the channel imbalance has occurred recently but didn't exist earlier it could be the tube if there has been a significant drop in emission in one of the triodes. Only way to know that for sure is to test the tube.

I don't know what TubeDepot is referring to with the high gain option. If they are simply selecting tubes with higher GM or emissions (relative to other like tubes), then it isn't going to make one iota of difference in the sound and is, quite frankly, a pile of marketing BS. Perhaps there is something else they are referring to, but I'd love to know what it is. The important thing with the Vali 2 is to have good GM balance between the triodes, and I wouldn't pay extra for anything beyond that.

In my opinion the EH 6922 isn't a very good sounding tube to begin with, so almost anything you replace it with will sound better. :slight_smile: The TungSol 6SN7 will require an adapter (and probably a socket saver) if you're willing to do that, otherwise there are lots of alternatives in the 6922/6DJ8 family that can sound very good.

Jan 19, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,740 of 6,436
Has any one tried the PCC88/7DJ8 tubes besides me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back