Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,711 of 6,436
I'm consolidating this good advice so that I can retrieve it later this year (when I have more disposable income). Thanks, eh.

Here is my understanding from what guys over on the Lyr thread have said.

-- 6N3P from the 50's (Foton triple mica) are the holy grail. Apparently, the 2x mica will suffice in a pinch, but are a little less good.

-- The 6N2P is a decent tube for the price (needs no adapter too). No one ever really broke down the best of the best 6N2P, but safe to say the older the better. 50s if ya can. I didn't love them in the Lyr, I thought their sound stage came off as really disjointed. Sounded decent in the Music Hall 25.3 DAC I have though, but I felt like something was MISSING all the time. Decent response across the spectrum, but just felt a little lifeless. Really cheap though.

-- 6N1P is regarded as being ehh by most I have talked to. Decent, but I have heard some say it is kind of gritty. I would agree. I had one in my Vali for a while. I thought I liked it, but compared to the 6N2Ps I have (and they are bad ones apparently, 1976 triple mica Voshkod) I would rate it lower. 6N2P lacks a lot still but is definitely smoother.

Honestly, IMHO recently I have started to like the National branded Matsu "mullard" (Japanses) 7DJ8/PCC88. I really hated it at first honestly, but now I like it a lot at least in the Lyr with the HE 400I. Isn't warm like a Mullard, but has a really clean presentation with basically no noise. A little warmth in the midrange feels kind of fluid. A good buy if you can find one, great for a sub $30 tube. Upscale has them for a little more, that's where mine are from. I dropped my 58 bugle boys for them.

Consolidating my consolidation. Good intel. Thanks. :ksc75smile:

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,712 of 6,436
Consolidating my consolidation. Good intel. Thanks. :ksc75smile:

Then you will be happy to have to consolidate the consolidation...again...

While I never personally listened to a 6N23P (sold my Vali with one, but it took so long to get here from Russia I actually had to send it seperate) I almost don't dare offer my opinon, but I totally forgot to mention it.

I would say don't buy in to the hype. Some people love the tube, but the more recent comments about it over on the Lyr thread from experienced people like AC and TK16 paint it to be now overpriced, lacking in low end among other things that make some of the aforementioned Soviet tubes (6N3P namely) superior to it in a number of ways. There is also that story about how one HeadFI member hyped it up (a specific year too, 1975) to high heaven, and also happened to have quite a few of them to sell. Prices went through the roof and as these things work, some became convinced that the tube was the best thing since sliced bread, proably because thats what they wanted to beleive after they shelled out the contents of their wallet for one :smile:

But hey, what do I know. Never listened to one. This is just all stuff I have heard.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #1,713 of 6,436
Really guys, the 5670 tubes were the best tubes I ever heard in the Vali 2 with the Western Electric 396A tube being the best.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,714 of 6,436
Really guys, the 5670 tubes were the best tubes I ever heard in the Vaki 2 with the Western Electric 396A tube being the best.
The WE396A, was the best tube I found for the Valhalla 2, as well. The WE396A, transformed the Valhalla 2, into a completely different and more capable amp.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,715 of 6,436
The WE396A, was the best tube I found for the Valhalla 2, as well. The WE396A, transformed the Valhalla 2, into a completely different and more capable amp.
You guys [winders and Wes S] got me - just bought one on ebay, 1964. I already liked GE 5670W new one best of my tubes, so here it goes. Let us see

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,716 of 6,436
You guys [winders and Wes S] got me - just bought one on ebay, 1964. I already liked GE 5670W new one best of my tubes, so here it goes. Let us see
If it has a d getter, that is the good one. Get ready for a good tube roll . . .

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,717 of 6,436
If it has a d getter, that is the good one. Get ready for a good tube roll . . .
says "square getter" - is it the same as d?

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #1,719 of 6,436
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,720 of 6,436
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,722 of 6,436
Jan 15, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,723 of 6,436
I guess YOU are the expert......
Gimme a break, will you? Old Deaf Donkey, newbie, asking questions, based on googling... Very grateful for advice, just looking for clarification, thanks a million, apologies

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,724 of 6,436
Gimme a break, will you? Old Deaf Donkey, newbie, asking questions, based on googling... Very grateful for advice, just looking for clarification, thanks a million, apologies

No, you give me a break! Look at how you phrase things....hardly an apology.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,725 of 6,436
No, you give me a break! Look at how you phrase things....hardly an apology.
Very well. I do regret sincerely if my remark or phrasing has offended you or anyone else. My sole intention was to benefit from your experience in guiding me in my further exploits of tube rolling. I have little clue of influence of the tube components or characteristics to their sonic qualities, and I have not been aware of "getters" before this exchange happened. I just looked up the term and found the classification. Please do not take offence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back